Tweaking Unreal Tournament 3

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I recently re-installed Unreal Tournament 3 on my Dell E1705 notebook (with GeForce Go 7800 video card and XG Mobile NVIDIA display drivers) and would like to know how to get the best framerate possible.

The old .INI I used was written before the 1.3 patch was released, so I'm wondering if there's something newer out there.

I want the game to look nice, but I also want a decent framerate (20-30 fps). Any suggestions?

I have a powerful computer that thinks UE3 games are nothing more than a light snack. So I have not personally tweaked anything in UT3 (everything is set to max).

But, when I want to know exactly what I can tweak and what are their tradeoffs, I read tweakguides.com

Here is their guide on Unreal Tournament 3.

Epic might also improve the engine in their upcoming big update as well.

EDIT: In general, post-processing effects and motion blur can help keep the nice "look" and "atmosphere" of a game. My first inclination is to reduce resolution and texture detail and play with those post-processing options.

Last edited:
/bump

Since I got my new Studio 1737 (with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650) from Dell as a replacement for my old Inspiron E1705 (with nVIDIA GeForce Go 7800), tweaking isn't required to get playable framerates in UT3.

HUZZAH!

Still, I plan to examine my settings soon to see if I can bump the image quality without losing framerates.

Back