Vagrant Story, Xenogears coming to PSN

Keero

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
PlayStation 3 and PSP owners are getting an influx of classic RPG goodness.

The Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB) has rated several PlayStation One classic titles, signaling their eventual release on PlayStation Network in North America. The two most notable games include Xenogears (1998) and Vagrant Story (2000), both published and developed by Square Enix.

Other Square Enix produced titles mentioned are Threads of Fate (2000) and Legend of Mana (2000). Arc the Lad III (1999) from Working Designs and R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 (1999) from Namco are also getting re-released on PSN.

Many of these titles have been available on PlayStation Network for some time in Japan and Europe. We pinged Square Enix for an update on their North American release dates.

From IGN.

I loved Xenogears, only got a fourth way through it though. :(

I am hype.

But still disappoint.

NEED MEGA MAN LEGENDS

I'm quite happy about Xenogears and Vagrant Story, though. :)

I may be the only one in the chapter who has a Playstation 1, so this isn't as big a deal for me. (A rare import game like Money Idol Exchanger coming to PSN for $6 is still cause for excitement, though.) But I know there's been demand for these games to come to PSN for quite some time now, so I understand the cause for celebration. :)

Also: Legend of Mana was meh. Actually, everthing in the series after Seiken Densetsu 3 was a bit of a disappointment. Fair warning.

Less a matter of hardware and more a matter of "missed the games when they came out, and they cost more than I wanna pay now" for me. $10 is much more desirable than $40 (which I think is the cheapest used price on Amazon right now).

Thus. I party. /partyhat

I may be the only one in the chapter who has a Playstation 1

But we all have PS1s... it's called a PS3... and it plays dem. :p

I do have some PS1 games handy actually, Spyro, Crash 3, Crash Team Racing. <3

While on detour duty, I have... only Metal Gear Solid on actual PSX disc right now. Wait. Not true. I also have Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (best game ever) and probably some others tucked away.

Got a bunch of PSone games on PSN, though.

Oddly, there are more PSX games I want than PS3 games right now. o_O Included, of course, are the two in the thread title. :p

Very much looking forward to this. As much as I like to own boxes/manuals, Xenogears is expensive, and better than Xenosaga IMO. It's one of the best games on the PS1 catalog, which is saying a good deal. Vagrant Story is also too expensive to try, as I've never played it so I dunno what to expect. I will likely pick both of these up.

I loved Xenogears, only got a fourth way through it though. :(

He "loved" it but never finished it >.> <.< (suppress it Gerbil, suppress XD. Maybe he meant he borrowed it and had to return it or something) .

Very much looking forward to this. As much as I like to own boxes/manuals, Xenogears is expensive, and better than Xenosaga IMO. It's one of the best games on the PS1 catalog, which is saying a good deal. Vagrant Story is also too expensive to try, as I've never played it so I dunno what to expect. I will likely pick both of these up.

Xenogears is well... I can understand you all liking it for it's different gameplay, setting and possibly graphics but so you know it's story is a convoluted fruitcake which I've commented on before.

Xenogears is expensive? I did not know. First time I've actually seen one of the games I own considered "rare".

Xenogears is well... I can understand you all liking it for it's different gameplay, setting and possibly graphics but so you know it's story is a convoluted fruitcake which I've commented on before.
Welcome to every Japanese RPG that isn't Dragon Quest. And every Dragon Quest before IX featured random encounters.

I think Japanese RPG writers think that if they make it complicated enough and reference Freud, Jung (I'm looking at you, Neon Genesis Evangelion), and/or Nietzche, throw in Judeo-Christian or Kaballah (specifically, the Sephirothic Tree) symbols, and throw in a Crystal Dragon Jesus (see: every Final Fantasy ever) then their intended audience will mistake unnecessary complexity for genius. Final Fantasy VII is probably the worst offender of the lot.

To quote Rogert Ebert, "If you have to ask what it symbolizes, it didn't."

Welcome to every Japanese RPG that isn't Dragon Quest. And every Dragon Quest before IX featured random encounters.

I think Japanese RPG writers think that if they make it complicated enough and reference Freud, Jung (I'm looking at you, Neon Genesis Evangelion), and/or Nietzche, throw in Judeo-Christian or Kaballah (specifically, the Sephirothic Tree) symbols, and throw in a Crystal Dragon Jesus (see: every Final Fantasy ever) then their intended audience will mistake unnecessary complexity for genius. Final Fantasy VII is probably the worst offender of the lot.

To quote Rogert Ebert, "If you have to ask what it symbolizes, it didn't."

Certainly true. Disregarding the religion factor having played most of the FF series Xenogears characters are more convoluted. Apparently Multiple personality disorder is catching in the world of Xenogears because it has a boat load of people with them. Just to spice it up most of the time one personally wants to save people while the other wants to kill them XD.

Last edited:
I think Japanese RPG writers think that [...] their intended audience will mistake unnecessary complexity for genius. Final Fantasy VII is probably the worst offender of the lot.

QFT. Been trying to tell folks this for so long haha.

It reminds me of sometimes how you watch cop/detective shows where the super sleuth figures out everything at the last minute right in front of the audience. They try to paint it like a magic trick done right before your eyes and you didn't figure it out. In reality, they simply didn't give you enough information.

Good writing gives you everything you needed to know and still fools you which makes it fun to play again.

Also, FF7 was amazing.

Main word being was. It's such an eye-sore, whether it's on the PS3 or PSP, and don't get me started on how wonky the combat looks. Now FF9... that is amazing. I sunk about 28 hours into it so far, but then I got lost, and I don't want to use a GameFAQ. xD

Now FF9... that is amazing. I sunk about 28 hours into it so far, but then I got lost, and I don't want to use a GameFAQ. xD

FYI I got the completely useless "King of the Jump rope" title in FF9 and yes you needed to know that :p.

Gerbil doesn't mess around when it comes to virtual exercise. Good for you!!

Gerbil doesn't mess around when it comes to virtual exercise. Good for you!!

LOL my thumbs can bench 200 pounds yup, yup :p .

Seriously though if you don't know what it is the King of the Jump rope title is it has to be the most insanely hard FF item to get ever. You've got to put in a 1000 timed/random button presses continuously with no mistakes for ~45 minutes.

LOL my thumbs can bench 200 pounds yup, yup :p .

Seriously though if you don't know what it is the King of the Jump rope title is it has to be the most insanely hard FF item to get ever. You've got to put in a 1000 timed/random button presses continuously with no mistakes for ~45 minutes.

Late reply, but very sad to report I achieved this honor as well...and it was on the memory card I sold to gamestop for ~$.50. /facepalm.

Back