Video Interview, Stress Test, Known Issues, Pre-Order #'s

Not sure if that is good or bad news. Those are only the NA pre-orders, but that resembles the numbers that will be there at launch on the NA servers. I really was flirting with pre-ordering today, but not sure. Anyone else here pre-order yet?

I preordered like 3 weeks ago...the CE...hoping for a midnight release...I have taken release day and the day after off of work already...

EDIT: 165k preorders is good...it is 9th in all of North America in preorders...that is very good...it is beating Cataclysm by quite a bit... Also, this is not a complete list of preorders...

The french interview that was mostly interpretering...that got really confusing...for everyone:
Source: http://www.ffxivorigin.com/content/jeuxonline-gamescom-interview-developers-111/

1. Why are there are lot of classes missing from FFXIV?

It was necessary to add the most important classes in order to balance the Battle Regimens.

It was also a must to add all Disciples of the Hand before retail release. Adding them later would have an unknown effect on the economy.

2. Will there be more classes as we progress further in FFXIV?

At the moment, there are 18 classes. As you level up, you get guild tokens. These provide for a really nice way to level up your character.

3. Since the beginning of phase 3, there have been lots of changes. How is tester feedback?

One of the biggest changes was the battle system. I'm sure you have noticed significant changes in speed in the beta version from the alpha test.

We have also received lots of feedback in relation to the user interface, especially with the mouse operation system.

4. Are you planning to add mini-games to Final Fantasy XIV?

We do have the foundation so we can add these sometime in the future.

We are currently focusing on bigger things, such as the battle system, crafting system, and all fundamental parts of the main game. We will look to add mini-games through the version updates.

5. There have been lots of Character Creation features added with the latest beta version. Can we expect to have more at the release?

More or less, we believe most of the features have been implemented now, but you may see more in the release version. At Gamescom, we have the latest version, and it has more than beta phase 3. We are looking to add more in the future, so please look forward to it.

From the open beta, you will be able to save your character data for when you actually purchase the game.

6. Have you already prepared the end-game content? Will it be something like FFXI or will it be different?

Final Fantasy 14 is more focused on the easy access for the casual or light players. At the moment, there's not much hardcore content that will require a lot of time. We will be adding more content throughout the new version updates.

7. Will there be some unbeatable type of monster like Absolute Virtue in FF11?

At the moment, there are no monsters like that. Even if we do add something like that in the future, we aren't going to force the players to spend too much time for these battles.

8. Will there be a gear display option on the interface? something that allows the player to show/hide equipment?

We did consider that, but at the moment don't have that option. We want players to appear as they are, because that shows what class they are.

At the same time, we are aware that some would not want to show their helmets so they could see their face. We may add this in a future version.

9. Will crafted items be as interesting as the dropped items in the end-game?

For Final Fantasy XIV, most of the dropped items will be materials for the crafting system. People who fight monsters to gather materials which can be used for crafting. At the same time, Disciples of the Land will gather the items, who will in turn give it to the crafters. From there, items will be crafted and distributed amongst the players.

10a. Can we expect to transfer our characters to another server in the future?

System wise, it is possible. We will most likely have that feature, something similar to FFXI.

10b. Will you have a 'Gold World Pass'?

There will be no gold pass system, since you will have the freedom on which server to use. While we recommend you pick one that isn't crowded, the decision is entirely up to you in the beginning.

If you wish to transfer a character to a server, FFXIV will have similar rules to FFXI in that regard. Something like once in three months.

11. Lots of people are wondering why you aren't using the Auction House system from FFXI. Could you tell us a little bit more about it?

We want to encourage the crafters in FFXIV to use the market, have their own bazaar, and use their retainers to try and determine the best item prices. If there's an auction house, it is obvious as to what's the cheapest price. We would like the players to establish their own market by themselves.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered the CE about 4 weeks ago or so from game stop. I had ordered it from Amazon originally but changed it to game stop so I could get it in the morning and not have to wait for the mail to run. Plus I had a lot of credit there so I got it for free. :)

Interesting interview, although some of the questions were never answered lol.

Considering that most MMO's survive with only 300k, that's not a bad number at all.

Yet another interview with some good information:
Source: http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/11933-another-interview-beta-keys-update-from-se/

1) What is the party functions of DoH and DoL? The only thing we know about them is the Miner increase the amount of gil earned by the party.
- They are not intended to fight
- They are responsible for repairing weapons, for instance middle of fights
- Currently the FFXIV development team is looking into ways to make the DoH and DoL's more part of quests

2) It'd be great if you shared something about the end-game that no one knows yet, if possible?
- With the Guildleve system we can pretty much do anything, difficulty-wise and also content-wise.
- You don't need to instance everything, others can't steal your enemies anyway

3) Is there a difference between Companies and Linkshells?
- Linkshells are smiliar to those in FFXI, you can have more than one and its more for friends. Linkshells are similar to those in Final Fantasy XI. You can havem ore than one and it's mostly for friends.
- Companies are more like Guilds, like in other MMOs, property can be shared.

4) Do you think Final Fantasy XIV will be able to compete with the current (and upcoming) top MMO's?
- We don't really want to compete against World of Warcraft or for example the new Star Wars MMO.
- The target audience we have is Final Fantasy players. Most of them did not play an MMO previously and are very new to this.
Sundi: successfull MMOs got their own special theme, a far-reaching story and a unique system - thats what we got in FFXIV!

5) Can you tell us more about the Open Beta?
- Open Beta will start at the beginning of September
- Gridania & Ul'dah will be playable
- There will be a level cap
- there will be new leves, but there will be even more new ones at release

6) Random tidbits
- most of the Main Story Missions wont be possible to finish by soloing

7) What's the cause of the PS3 version delay?
- Biggest problem was the memory
- Everything needed to be changed, which caused even more things in need to be changed, that's why it's taking longer

I think it would be cool to see some of the mini-games... I am also interested in what kind of end-game content they are going to come up with...

Back