Video: Intro to Competitive TF2

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
DISCLAIMER: While this video was featured on the official TF2 blog, I haven't yet watched it to see whether or not it includes any inappropriate language. Watch at your own peril.
This video is intended for our viewers who have perhaps never seen Team Fortress 2 and really don't know what its about. I explain the setup, the format, and briefly get into the strategy of the game. There are brief looks at each of the main competitive classes.
Source: eXtv: Intro to Competitive TF2

I could have missed something but I don't think it had offensive language. I was listening for it though.

It was from a perspective of not only never playing competitively but never having played TF2 at all. It also only covered competition from a limited perspective 6v6 on a cp map. He didn't even say pros call it a "push" map. It wasn't bad but if you are a complete competitive newbie you'll have a ton more to learn while if you are familiar with casual TF2 gameplay you'll be covering a lot you already know. He does have more videos which I assume teach more though I haven't checked them.

Last edited:
Hm. I had hoped it would go into more depth than it did, but I also wanted to post another thread about competitive play as it seems there's been a resurgence of interest in fielding a competition team.

If something competitively where to happen I'd definitely prefer to try highlander instead of 8v8 to at least get all the classes on the field and cut down on switching management. I don't think it will happen though. Our problems were...

1. Lack of practice. Practice every other night like pros just isn't going to happen. I don't think we need that much to be decent but we definitely needed more exp than we got. I'm also all over the place schedule wise here so it'd even be hard for me to attend.

2. Lack of dedicated consistent (as in the same) players. Getting 9 will be worse than 8 and unfortunately and we couldn't even get that. Also class wise we had no real dedicated scouts and those slots were filled by whoever was best at them.

Bear in mind we need more of the above just to be decent not "pro". I've counted 6~ Toj interested so far but to be honest those numbers will drop when they find out the commitment involved (nothing against them it's just the facts). If someone else wanted to be team captain and/or match arranger (and team wrangler ) it might help (NOT talking already poor overworked Tek I'm just putting that out there for any other interested parties).

I watched a couple of the other videos that guy had and his medic tutorial gives a little better feel as to what competitive medic play is like . Better yet, although a bit overly term branded, I saw a good scout tutorial on his associated videos which shows a little of the teamwork, communication and skill necessary for scout play. Warning the medic tutorial has an "illegitimate" word in it but only due to the name of one of his opponents.

If anyone is interested in comp play I'd definitely watch more videos of matches so you can get a sense of what is required.

Note: I looked at the Euro Tournament more and American players while welcome are expected to be able to play Sunday between 1:00-2:30pm central on a European server. Also slots for the tournament have been full thus registration has been closed for the past couple weeks (though they were trying to make more).

Our problems were...

1. Lack of practice. Practice every other night like pros just isn't going to happen. I don't think we need that much to be decent but we definitely needed more exp than we got. I'm also all over the place schedule wise here so it'd even be hard for me to attend.

2. Lack of dedicated consistent (as in the same) players. Getting 9 will be worse than 8 and unfortunately and we couldn't even get that. Also class wise we had no real dedicated scouts and those slots were filled by whoever was best at them.

Bear in mind we need more of the above just to be decent not "pro". I've counted 6~ Toj interested so far but to be honest those numbers will drop when they find out the commitment involved (nothing against them it's just the facts). If someone else wanted to be team captain and/or match arranger (and team wrangler ) it might help (NOT talking already poor overworked Tek I'm just putting that out there for any other interested parties).
I agree with the points you posted. I keep wishing there was something between pub play and hardcore competition play. A sort of "casual competition" would be ideal--something more coordinated than pub play, but less..."we're getting steamrolled by people who can afford to practice 5 nights a week" than our STA matches.

Maybe the answer is just making contact with other clans and arranging matches independently of a ladder or league?

I wonder if Christian Crew could assemble an 8-player team for a game?

I agree with the points you posted. I keep wishing there was something between pub play and hardcore competition play. A sort of "casual competition" would be ideal--something more coordinated than pub play, but less..."we're getting steamrolled by people who can afford to practice 5 nights a week" than our STA matches.

Maybe the answer is just making contact with other clans and arranging matches independently of a ladder or league?

I wonder if Christian Crew could assemble an 8-player team for a game?

I could give CC another try but I don't think they ever put together the comp team they had talked about at one point.

I've slightly looked into IRC where there are channels for different skill groups to get together for some scrims. That is where most people start. Quite frankly I'm a bit against that due to the lack of any real rules or moderation (and your team has to idle at their computers until you get a game). I know Soldiers for Christ fought a clan that was less than polite but then SoC stomped the insulting clan though YAY :p . It's not the losing to the heathens itself :p it's the idea that they will use that loss to justify their views on weak, lame Christians. Yes it does not make sense for them to do that considering we are a group who only want to play casually but I can't stand the idea. At the very least it ruins any fun or positive impact on them we could have had. If we could just give a good showing, even losing, I'd be completely fine with that as they'd have to respect us or lose. Unfortunately many of our matches were complete routs.

Anyway I haven't time to get something together right now (must, finish, map, gasp) but if anyone wants the position of team manager or team captain to start a Toj team I'd be fine delegating it. Please note I've only done Captaining in the past not becuase I think I'm particularly good (I'm not with our loss record XD ) but becuase I recognize the need in matches for leadership and direction. Some of our temp Captains did great but others were completely silent and required me speaking up to give some sort of cohesion, neither wanted the job regardless. I'm a spy at heart and spies need to have the most complete picture of the battlefield to do their job. As such all I have to do is switch my thoughts to words to call enemies and strategies to kill them.

Last edited:
Back