WC3: How do I even do?

Keero

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
New to the game, not sure where to start for strats and video commentary. Where do I go? @_@

Unfortunately there never was a huge community for war3 for some reason. I'm not sure why, it was a great game. And it's possible that all of the old sites haven't survived to now.

It also doesn't help that old replays aren't backwards compatible with the newest patch.

I hate to say this, but google might just be your best friend on this one.

This is lengthy...sry

I'd say it's probably good to start listening to a few commentaries but don't get hooked on them. Unlike sc2, the wc3 replays are really easy to understand as far as timings and exactly what is going on. Just simply watching replays will help a lot...

In warcraft 3 the most important and unique aspect is the heroes. You need to get your heroes to a high level in order to win the game. Many games end outcome is determined by how fast your heroes level up compared to how strong your total army is. Most of your micromanagement will revolve around your heroes...Basically heroes are spr important, keep them alive at all cost...don't let them die ever...ever....

To level up your heroes you will need to kill neutral creeps. When your fighting these creeps try not to let any units or heroes die. All races offer some kind of heal for their units whether it be moonwells or at the unique item shop each race has. When you watch replays try to see how the players move their units while creeping and how they spread damage out to each unit.

basic overview race by race:

ELF
elf standard is archers to bears/dryads or mass huntresses all game
to start just use the Demon Hunter first (manaburn/evasion for your skills) with panda (fire your first skill) second vs all races besides elf...vs elf go naga (cold arrow first skill) as your second hero. Focus heroes wins games...

Undead
this race goes mass fiends/destroyers against all races...the heroes are always death knight (death coil/aura)->lich (nova/armor) and often times a third hero Naga (cold arrow first/forked lightning second) or Crypt Lord (impale/spikes). With this race you really want to nail down nukes with the Death Knight Coil and Lich Nova.

Human
This race usually builds a fast expansion by using militia to kill the closest mine to your base, For heroes you will want to go Archmage (first skill water elemental for creeps) then Mountain King (thunderbolt for stun) and you can move to Paladin third for heals.

For your units you can do a whole bunch of strategies
-mass spell breakers with 4 sorc/4 priests
-mass towers and make tanks then just base kill
-mass rifle/breaker/priest/sorc
-gryphon/mort

human you can basically viably do whatever you want if you fast expand and defend it well....

Orc
Blade Master for your first hero (windwalk/critical strike)...right click heroes win games and your second hero is shadow hunter (hex/heal). You will use raiders/grunts vs all races and try to end the game as quickly as possible. With raiders research ensnare and use a combination of ensnare/hex on the enemy heroes while your blademaster does 8k dps...then just watch his hero die and listen to all the complaints...have fun~

by the way good luck vs elf if you play orc...it's basically impossible. I was like 90% vs orc with elf.

i played elf my favorite players were Moon/Soccer...any games they play are basically amazing to watch.

wcreplays.com is your place to go for commentaries/replays

awesome players to watch:

WemadeFOX_Moon / WemadeFOXSocceR - night elf
eg.grubby / wemadefox_lyn - orc
we.pepsi.infi - human
we.pepsi.ted / mojawi)space - undead

Last edited:
Wasn't crazy about Elf, but I did like Orc/Human. I'll give the zombies a shot. Thanks for typing that up. ^_^

I would play for like 15 minutes on Easy AI/50% health and still get stomped. Should I pull a SC2 and just focus on infantry until later game when I get vehicles?

Keero just 4 gate man. Oh! and please come back to ut 3. Your high ping problem is no longer an issue. Danny uploaded unlagged instagib which is like playing on LAN no matter how high your ping is.

honestly the fastest way to learn is just watch replays...wc3 is a very systematic game, especially with hu/orc. After watching 3-5 replays you will see patterns that include strong build orders, base builds, unit combos and play styles. You will notice players constantly moving their units around the map, this isn't sc2 - you don't really sit in your base ever. The reason you can move around the map is because of the teleport scroll that comes with your first hero. Use that wisely to defend your base or save your hero before it dies.

Beating AI is simple, just kill neutral units until your archmage is level 3 (level 2 water elemental/level 1 aura) then push the opponents base. The fastest way to win a fight is kill the other players heroes...it's basically auto gg.

maybe ill reinstall and come play so you can watch me pwn~

Back