We finally have a public server again!

kraniac

We now have a 5-man DM server up and running. As soon as Chu::LOB:: (server admin for the fractionary and the rest of the LOB servers) gets back from Maine in a week or so, I'm going to add 5v5 TAM and 1v1 DM gametypes to the map voting also. Currently I don't know how to set gametype voting to alter the number of player slots on the server, which is where Chu comes in. For right now, it's staying 5-man DM only, with UTComp (enhanced netcode enabled for ColdSteel) and no superweapons (redeemers are funny the first time, and subsequently annoying).

It's based in St. Louis. The address is: ut2004://8.6.74.194:7777

I'm trying to advertise this in several community forums. I've already hit several. Read the posts I've made, listed below, for more information on the server, and how I'm trying to advertise it differently to different groups. Hopefully this will be the intersection of several circles in the UT community. It's pub DM so it should attract newbies, it's got UTComp running and it's sponsored by LOB so it should attract competitive players looking for a quick game, it's affiliated with TOJ so it should bring interest to our chapter, and it will hopefully introduce the TAM kids to timing powerups.

Competitive community: http://prounreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63985
LOB forums: http://www.myunreal.com/showthread.php?t=74498
Noob community: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514956
=A!M= clan forums: http://forums.liandri.com/showthread.php?p=37801#post37801
TAM forums (duplicate of A!M forums): http://www.3spn.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6729#6729

Let me know if you think of any other forums I should advertise on.

A note on the server:

I have advertised this server to the competitive community. Having LOB's name attached brings with it all the positives and negatives of LOB's involvement in the competitive community. LOB is an island of sanity in the vast sea of vapidity that is the majority of the UT competition community, so I apologize in advance for the actions of some of the members of less friendly clans like Digital Speed. You will encounter such players on this server-- it is unavoidable.

This is a public server so we're going to have to deal with idiots sometimes. Let me know if you are specifically targeted for verbal abuse and I will deal with the situation. Try to get screenshots of the abuse, if you can.

I know that [toj.cc]Phantom was already berated by d.speed*LegioN, who was aliasing at the time. He has not mentioned it to me but I took the liberty of dealing with the situation in IRC afterward.

I want to have the server frequented by good players, because the best way to get better is to play people better than you. But the good players need to understand that they have to respect everyone on the server. If you are targeted for abuse by someone copping an ego, please be assertive but not aggressive. TOJ members should not have to take verbal abuse on their own server. This must be the safe haven of UT, because there is currently no alternative.

To that end, I have installed a chat filter on the server. It doesn't catch mild profanities (by design) but anything severe will be blocked. If you see anyone trying to circumvent the swear filter, or see a word that you feel should be blocked, let me know specifically the combination of characters that they used and I will add it to the filter. I have left mild profanities unblocked because they often interfere with normal speech. For instance, the phrase "mass appeal" becomes "m#&@ appeal" and "hello" becomes "(*$@o", which obviously interferes with normal communication. When an all-purpose euphemistic synonym is available, I have set the filter to use it instead of just blocking the word out with asterisks. For instance the "S-word" becomes crap, and so forth. In this way I hope to preserve as much of the original meaning as I can, without leaving a trace of the profanity itself.

I have a simple webpage up for the server at landmass.clanservers.com, with server rules, links to download UTComp and the custom maps, and a link to donate to help keep it running.

Also, redirect is working now, so downloads of maps you don't have should go much, much faster. :)

Last edited:
braniac said:
I know that [toj.cc]Phantom was already berated by d.speed*LegioN, who was aliasing at the time. He has not mentioned it to me but I took the liberty of dealing with the situation in IRC afterward.

I actaully had no idea this happend. I just left because I was getting my butt kicked and I wanted to leave with what little dignity I had left...but thanks anyway...:D

[toj.cc]phantom said:
I actaully had no idea this happend. I just left because I was getting my butt kicked and I wanted to leave with what little dignity I had left...but thanks anyway...:D
Hehe, you know, I tried to join an Assault server you were on once, but you apparently don't read chat text :).

Anyway, the new server is pretty sweet, I don't think I've ever played on a competitive DM server before, it's pretty fun. Some maps just seem to play better without teams.

Killerah said:
Hehe, you know, I tried to join an Assault server you were on once, but you apparently don't read chat text :).

Anyway, the new server is pretty sweet, I don't think I've ever played on a competitive DM server before, it's pretty fun. Some maps just seem to play better without teams.

The only assault server I play on is the Omnipotents server...most of the time I don't read the chat text because the games in there get pretty crazy and fast...but I think I have you on X-Fire...if you do try to get on again just IM with that.

P.S. If you don't have me on X-Fire...tojphantom...thats my screen name.

Expect to see me on it either tonight or tomorrow. I may alias though but I'll let you all know that it's me if I see you. ;)

Back