Wednesday 15 March, 2017

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
Leviticus 19:32-34 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
32 “You are to rise in the presence of the elderly and honor the old. Fear your God; I am Yahweh.

33 “When a foreigner lives with you in your land, you must not oppresshim. 34 You must regard the foreigner who lives with you as the native-born among you. You are to love him as yourself, for you were foreigners in the land of Egypt; I am Yahweh your God.
Daily Devotional
Choose a Devotional:
calendar.gif
Archives

Welcoming the Stranger
Wednesday, March 15th, 2017

Read Leviticus 19:32-34

View the March-April, 2017 Issue
Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.

- Hebrews 13:1-2 (NRSV)

I once led a group that met twice a week for lunch at the local community college. One day a new student sat down at the far end of our table. As a pastor trying to build relationships with the students, I saw this as a wonderful opportunity. “Is this your first semester here?” I inquired. “Yes,” she replied softly. As we continued the conversation we learned that she was from China and had been in the U.S. for only four months. “We meet here every Tuesday and Thursday. If you would like to eat with us, you are more than welcome,” I told her. As she got up to leave I said, “I hope to see you next Tuesday!” uncertain if I would see her again.

The next Tuesday came and so did she. I was happy to see that she had brought a friend — a student from India, also new to the United States. Providing community, support, and a place for the new students to practice English was a gift God gave us to share with them. And their gift to us was their openness to share their culture and to give us the chance to entertain angels.

Read more from the author, here.

The Author
Kathryn Helms (Maryland, USA)
Thought for the Day

I can share God’s love by inviting others into my life.

Prayer
Dear God, help us to overcome social barriers so that we can participate in your work in the world. Amen.

Prayer focus International students

Yes I lifted one from Upper Room in it's entirety, but I was very moved by this because it reflected what has been in my life so much. It is an imperative from God how we treat those who are strangers to us in our country. If we are to obey God we must welcome those from other countries. How easy it is to forget that.

Lord teach us to follow your instructions, even when it stretches us beyond our comfort zone. In Jesus Name Amen.

Back