Wednesday, August 25, 2010: Genesis 3:10-15

Durruck

Pirate!
It seems that a LOT of people struggle with the differences between the Old Testament and the New Testament. I keep hearing questions about how can it be the same God of Wrath (OT) becomes the God of Love (NT) just because Jesus shows up?

One of the first examples that we see in the OT is actually in Gen 3:10-15

10 The LORD said, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground. 11 Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand. 12 When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth."

13 Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me."

15 But the LORD said to him, "Not so [e] ; if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him.
So how does God placing a curse upon Cain prove that this is the God of Love? You have to look at the big picture - even from this early point, God is providing a sinner protection from his enemies. Time and time again after this, God provides us protection from our enemies. It's not that it made life easy for Cain, but that he was given life. Sometimes, healing (and our reconciliation to God) begins with a little pain.

Then we see in Genesis 6-9 the Great Flood, where God wipes out (nearly) all of humanity. A godly man (Noah) and his family are spared annihilation, and God makes a new covenant with them - laying the groundwork for Jesus' new covenant while completes our reconciliation.

In his book, God With Us: An Introduction to the Old Testament, Stephen Lennox makes an amazing analogy that applies here.

Lennox said:
Like the surgeon who must remove diseased tissue for the sake of the whole body, God had to perform a painful operation for the greater good. God loved humanity too much to leave it sick and dying.

While ugly and painful, God already had our protection and sanctification in mind, despite the ugly condition of the human heart. Then He took steps to remove our illness and help us heal.

Thanks. I'll admit that I had a bit of an ulterior motive when I posted this. It's actually the topic of my first paper that I'm working on for my class. Part of the assignment is "What evidences of God’s grace and kindness are found in Genesis 3-11" I figured this is what the professor was talking about. Brutal way to open our minds in week 1. :)

Interesting...the simple fact that God didn't kill Adam and Eve and Cain on the spot - or any of the others that followed...that's mercy.

Interesting paper idea.

Back