[Weekly - F/Sa] Week In Review

This week was...a week. Pretty standard fare.

Work slows down considerably for December, which means that I was able to catch up. Mostly.

Christmas break is coming up soon! For kids, I mean. Wednesday night was my daughter's last class at church until the new year and this coming Wednesday is her last day before winter break.

I moved my computer from the living room to the bedroom this week. I made the decision hastily, inspired mostly by a desire to play computer games at a desk with a keyboard and mouse again instead of streaming them to my laptop over wireless (which works, but has its flaws). After thinking it through, I decided I wanted a Steam Link after discovering that it supports PlayStation 3 controllers and the Logitech F710. So I made another decision hastily, bid on an auction for a Steam Link on eBay, then realized that there'll be one more Steam sale before the end of the year and the Link is almost guaranteed to be available for $35 shipped from Amazon again on or after Dec. 22. Then I won the auction. $34 for a Steam Link that was used only once (per the listing). Oh well. Regardless of the circumstances, I'm excited to get my Steam Link soon.

I moved my computer from the living room to the bedroom this week. I made the decision hastily, inspired mostly by a desire to play computer games at a desk with a keyboard and mouse again instead of streaming them to my laptop over wireless (which works, but has its flaws). After thinking it through, I decided I wanted a Steam Link after discovering that it supports PlayStation 3 controllers and the Logitech F710. So I made another decision hastily, bid on an auction for a Steam Link on eBay, then realized that there'll be one more Steam sale before the end of the year and the Link is almost guaranteed to be available for $35 shipped from Amazon again on or after Dec. 22. Then I won the auction. $34 for a Steam Link that was used only once (per the listing). Oh well. Regardless of the circumstances, I'm excited to get my Steam Link soon.
So yesterday the Steam Link went on sale for $20.

Oh man, that stung. Talk about buyer's remorse. If I'd just waited a little longer, I could have gotten a new Steam Link instead of a used one, paid $14 less, and gotten it a day sooner. :/

The moral of the story: Don't buy things off eBay. :p But seriously, don't buy things in haste or when you're fixating on something. Walk away, come back tomorrow, just get away from the keyboard or shopping cart or whatever for a while.

/sigh

As for the rest of my week, work was much busier than expected for the week before Christmas. It's usually a time to catch up and even work on some of the "training" (online courses, audio books, etc.) we need to do each year (which we usually end up cramming in at the last minute because our job doesn't leave much time for training). We had 2 team members out on vacation, which spread the remaining team members fairly thin. Add a department move and an upgrade and a few urgent calls and there wasn't much time to keep up, let alone catch up. Here's hoping next week will be calmer.

I finished Christmas shopping with 2 days to spare (@Elihu's Christmas gift should arrive today by 8 p.m., per the tracking), so feeling good about that. In all the busyness of the season, I forgot to tell @Ember's parents that I was shipping her gift to their house, so they showed the package to her while she was picking up the kids. My own fault for not saying anything ahead of time. So the surprise was spoiled, but I still think she'll love the gift. :>

Home life is as busy as ever with two young children and two adults who work full time. We try to spend time with the kids--and that's great, but it means that it's very difficult to keep the house organized. Especially when one children takes over other rooms of the house like a Zerg queen and the other is a hurricane on legs. But they're adorable and they're mine and I love them. <3

I feel bad for not being more aware of, y'know, everything. I would have offered to sell you my Steam Link for less than you paid on eBay. It's super cool, but I don't use it. Would like a PSTV for its Vita/PSP games on TV support. Or, more to the point, easy access to all my PSone Classics. XD Though there are some PSP/Vita games I'd play in a heartbeat that way, too. (Looking at you Persona 4 Golden.)

Anydangway, kind of a rough week for no apparent reason. Just in a less-than-stellar mood until today. Feeling like it's been just the grind, and that's fine because the grind is life, but it was rubbing me the wrong way or something. Whatever the case, that it's Christmas in two days and feels like November (or maybe February, but definitely not December or January) is a headscratcher.

I worked Thursday-Tuesday for the college as a proctor. Bossu said that finals couldn't have happened this year without me, so that was definitely nice to hear. Definitely felt like I was the chief cog in the machine (bossu being the watchmaker), so that may have contributed to my sense of exhaustion.

Found out Tuesday night when out with the guys of seminary IT that the whole seminary is closed next week, and there are no hours for me to work. So, I'm getting surprise unpaid vacation. Was upset about the surprise, and lack of pay, initially, but now I'm thinking it'll be nice to have that break.

Especially because we went to the doc this morning before work for another late-game ultrasound and found that baby is appearing more ready than the docs previously estimated he would, and we may not even make it to the end of the year before he's born. haha

Super excited for Player Three to get here. Maybe that's what I'll codename him on the forums (it's that or Red Five). Pretty sure we're about as prepared as we can be for a firstborn. Parents on both sides are also super excited to come see us and him.

So, that's that!

Oh, and my best friend in the area received a PS4 and Destiny from his wife as a combined birthday/Christmas present. My brother also bought Destiny on PS4. The three of us have spent the last couple of nights grinding out a race for cap and new content. :D

It has been a rough week here too. Some weird marriage stuff and working through life.
Busy too but also realizing how lazy I am in my business even though I'm really trying to build it up more. That and I've gotten blocked 2x from getting an office in town which is a bummer but I figure its just God allowing for me to grow in patience :)

I feel bad for not being more aware of, y'know, everything. I would have offered to sell you my Steam Link for less than you paid on eBay. It's super cool, but I don't use it.
I even thought about posting to ask if anyone was looking to sell one, but I thought that would have been pretty lame, especially when this community has been so kind to me and already given me so many gifts. I know this wouldn't have been a gift and I gladly would have paid a reasonable price, but it still would have felt lame to ask. :/

Anydangway, kind of a rough week for no apparent reason. Just in a less-than-stellar mood until today. Feeling like it's been just the grind, and that's fine because the grind is life, but it was rubbing me the wrong way or something.
I understand completely. I was telling a co-worker the same thing earlier this week. It wasn't any one thing or even the accumulation of the small things that annoyed me; I was just more irritable at work (though I managed to mask my irritation...I think).

Ok's been outta town visiting my son after his move. He was working two jobs and a lot of hours so hard to get a bunch of time with him. We did volunteer at the local Salvation Army counting money 3 days in a row, so kinda like being home. Almost had two panic attacks on the plane going down, but prayer and Dr. Feel Good stuffs brought me through, touched base and went to lunch with him and his wife to introduce them to my son because they live in the area too. Flight back and finding my way around the airport on a cane was less than fun, although because I was flying Delta employee and family standby, got first class seats on the way home. The friend who was to pick us up with my truck got lost. The Christmas Day service at the Salvation Army was great, they even have a brass band there. So flying out on Christmas Day some of the sting was taken out of it. 10 days of crazyness and I am glad to be home. Will, never, ever, never, ever fly again.

Christmas was fantastic! My parents drove up to see us on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, though my mom wasn't feeling up to staying Monday as well. But still a great blessing to see them on the holiday! My daughters got way too many toys (as is often the case as my wife has a large family and many of them live nearby), but I admit it made me smile to see them enjoy the gifts.

Caught up at work this week and have equipment and plans ready for next Tuesday when I get back.

Very much looking forward to an anniversary date with @Ember this weekend. Dates are exceedingly rare since we have 2 young children and my wife's parents watch them throughout the week (so we don't feel right asking them to babysit when the weekend rolls around and they want to get out for a while).

WEEK IN REVIEW LIVES

And oy, what a week. My wife's mom took my older daughter to the doctor this week to discover that she had strep. And that's after she had a stomach bug last week and I stayed home from work to take care of her (and, at her request, play Pikmin 3 and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse). She's back to 100% but finishing out the antibiotic.

Work ramped back up with a vengeance this week, but I still took time to complete the first few phases of overhauling my office: shipping salvage equipment, re-cabling 2 imaging stations, and the first wave of cleaning and reorganizing. There's plenty of work left to do, but it will need to wait until I clear some tickets out of my queue first. #fieldtechlife

Children getting sick (both of my daughters had the stomach bug, though only my older daughter followed that up with strep) threw off reestablishing our usual routines, but we're slowly easing back in to our regular schedules. We made it to church this morning and we're on course for dance and church again on Wednesday night.

TL;DR: After kids got sick and got over being sick, life is getting back to what passes for normal. :>

Tried doing the hanging out with married people.... it was awkward.....

Working on setting up some cool Twitch stuff for CGA and will be testing some streaming stuff later this week :)

Work has been crazy, I'm flooded but trying to get a temp worker. Moved into a new office and feeling pretty legit about it. Although if a hot water kettle sitting on top of an upside down 5-gal bucket doesn't scream "start-up," I'm not sure what does :)

Last week was a booger. Especially for my lady, my wife, my love. The renovation of the kitchen at the corps (church) was just winding down, totally looks like a commercial kitchen now, as it should. The last electrician left Friday, but the grand ope ning was Saturday for our program called Showers of Blessings. A large dinner where we fed over 80 people with surplus Red Lobster food. So all week the orginazation and cleaning of the kitchen was going on, plus getting food ready in an unready kitchen. No plumbing until Thursday even. Old stove and oven being reworked by my lady and corps officer, etc. etc. etc. We pulled it off though, Praise God.

Oy. What a week. :|

Caught the cold from my older daughter (or, at least, that's what I assume after she coughed on me while my mouth was open -_-) and soldiered through the work week with the aid of cold medicine. The over-the-counter stuff wasn't cutting it, so I got the stuff that you have to show an ID for in Missouri. Y'know, the stuff that actually works.

Fortunately, work wasn't too stressful, but trying to complete a long (and by long, I mean approximately a year and a half) process involving vendor software installs at work delayed other work, which in turn wore on me. All while working through the fog of a head cold.

Kids are awesome. Wife is awesome. Wish I had more time for games.

All in all, a fairly standard week with a head cold thrown in for variety.

Want to say, wish I could say, it has been the usual humdrum retirement week with a few Drs appointments to fill in for a change from normal. Nope!! Early in the week on Tuesday my wonderful wife unwittingly asked me a couple of questions that I had never thought of before in relation to my past service in the military. Whoo boy everything went down hill from there emotionally, psychologicaly Satan went to town on me. It took a LOT of prayer and work to get fully functional(?) by Friday. Nope don't need or want another week like that. I felt bad for her, she just didn't know, and neither did I that those two particular questions would trigger such a massive problem. Now that I have bled all over everyone, let me add, God is faithful and will comfort, aid, and help His people in all situations. I mean ALWAYS faithful, ever there.

admittedly it was crazy week.

Went snorkeling at Hanauma bay, hiked Lanikai Pillbox hike, Ate lots of shaved ice, and then had to fly out of 77F degree weather of Hawaii back to 25F reality of Washington and back to work.

Had a wonderful time with the wife's family. Its hard being there in someways since people only want to eat, sleep and watch tv but it was a good two week retreat and hanging out with grandma for her birthday.

WEEK IN REVIEW LIVES

Oy. What a week, what a week. Work ramped back up. So many computers bit the dust this week.

Younger child still not sleeping through the night, but she has been sleeping for longer stretches.

Getting over a sore throat and feeling tired most of the time, especially after sundown. That makes getting any housework done even more difficult than it already is with 2 working adults and 2 young children who want to spend time with their parents (and the feeling is mutual, of course).

Hoping for a lighter week next week and for recovery from this nasty sore throat this weekend. Would love to find more time for guilt-free gaming (i.e. after at least some housework is done) and sleep as well. :>

Its been a strange week. I have been thinking of pivoting towards SaaS in my business.

That being said, i have a friend familiar in that world with other resources but hes a friend and I don't practice a habit of doing business with that close of friends.

Its been strange because I have been trying to submit myself in prayer that it isn't a pride thing but that I'm submitting my business before God and know that God is my provider, not my business, clients, or people.

Its been a strange week. I have been thinking of pivoting towards SaaS in my business.
Had to Google to figure out that SaaS stands for "software as a service."

Ugh. This week. I am grateful for many things. Including the fact that I made it through this week.

I thought I was over a minor illness earlier this week. And maybe I was. But just as I was getting better, I took a downward turn Wednesday night. I ended up leaving work between noon and 1 p.m. on both Thursday and Friday because I felt miserable.

Aside from being sick, I guess this week was okay. Maybe.

I think I'm over the hump and everyone else in the family is feeling better, too. (Right, @Ember?)

Ugh. This week. I am grateful for many things. Including the fact that I made it through this week.

I thought I was over a minor illness earlier this week. And maybe I was. But just as I was getting better, I took a downward turn Wednesday night. I ended up leaving work between noon and 1 p.m. on both Thursday and Friday because I felt miserable.

Aside from being sick, I guess this week was okay. Maybe.

I think I'm over the hump and everyone else in the family is feeling better, too. (Right, @Ember?)

YAY! Maybe? :) :p

Back