[Weekly - Su/M] What did you learn/teach at church?

Our church services for tomorrow have already been canceled due to inclement weather.

We had a guest speaker on Sunday who taught on the foundation of the Christian church from the New Testament passages on Peter's declaration of Jesus as the Messiah and the Son of God.

He asked the following questions:

What is the quality of the materials you are using [in the context of 1 Corinthians 3:5-17]?

What are you doing that requires supernatural empowering?

What are you doing that is worthy of the King?

What are you offering that will impact eternity?

What are you doing with the keys [in the context of Matthew 16:13-19]?

Some very challenging questions (that provided a much-needed kick in the posterior)!

Yesterday, we continued in Hebrews. From the first chapter, the pastor (not the usual speaking pastor, but another pastor at the church this time) focused on Jesus being greater than the angels. It was good and relevant, and he did a good job of talking about how orthodox Christian views of Christ set Christianity apart from other religions, giving super brief overviews of other Christologies. He scored big points with my wife and I by also saying, "If you just open your Bible and read a little here, a little there, that's well and good and all, but you gotta study it too. You gotta be able to engage people. Also, look at these simplified systematic theologies that are solid."

Exhausted probably understates my state yesterday morning. Red Five slept poorly, and I never got back to sleep after his 3AM wakeup. I played guitar at church yesterday, so I had to be there early. To top it off, when I don't sleep like that, my stomach gets bothered, so I couldn't drink coffee to help lest it further complicate matters when I needed to be able to focus on performance. haha

All that said! By the time sermon rolled around, I caught that the pastor speaking yesterday was in Hebrews 3, and preaching on Jesus Is Better (series title for Hebrews study) Than Sin. It was good. And a nice summation reminder/warning was that "Sin always overpromises and underdelivers."

Here's a link to the full sermon if anyone is interested:

Edit: At the very end, it looks like you can see me on acoustic guitar. Will have to keep in mind in the future that the camera picks me up. :p

Good stuff! Thx for posting the link! And I saw you! :) Didn't realize you were a ginger! :cool: Or at least your Goatee looks like you are.

Good stuff! Thx for posting the link! And I saw you! :) Didn't realize you were a ginger! :cool: Or at least your Goatee looks like you are.
I am indeed, at least for a little while longer. Don't know how long I have until white takes over...or I just lose the rest if what's up top. Haha

LOL! My Mom, 3 Aunts, 1 Uncle, 4 Cousins, and 1 Niece all have Red hair in my family! It's Hairesy! LOL! :p

Yesterday's sermon was on the subject of the dependability of the Word of God--infallible, inerrant, and trustworthy. One statement struck me with particular force: "Your circumstances do not alter the truth of God's word." It's something so obvious, but something I need to remind myself of every day.

The text for this last week's Sunday morning sermon was Romans 12:9-21.

Our interim pastor taught on what the passage means, as well as what it doesn't mean. Of particular interest (at least, for me) was clarification on verse 20, which I admit had puzzled me before I knew the historical context.

I have been doing a series on Romans with our church body, and we are currently in Romans 5:12-20. I might post some notes if anyone is interested. :)

This weekend, still powering through Hebrews, Pastor Ryan spoke on Jesus being better than sacrifice. There was analysis of old worship under the Mosaic covenant, a brief tangent into the various covenants, and basically contained my theology of worship as I write it for church job applications. haha

Big takeaway included the challenge question of: Where is your hope?
Big challenge: Your hope needs to be in Jesus. Period.

Good sermon. On point in speaking to me. If there's an especially loud laugh in there, that might have been me too. haha

I have been doing a series on Romans with our church body, and we are currently in Romans 5:12-20. I might post some notes if anyone is interested. :)
Sure!

Do you type up your notes? (Just wondering if it would be a simple copy/paste or if you'd have to endure typing up handwritten notes.)

Our teaching pastor (while our church continues to seek a permanent lead pastor) taught on the example of Caleb in the Old Testament as a model for followers of Christ this morning. Source texts included Numbers 13 and 14 and Joshua 15.

I loved the example of Caleb's daughter, Achsah, asking her dad for land and springs in Joshua 15 and Caleb being equipped to grant her request because he had been faithful 40 years prior, had remained faithful to God for the 40 years since, and God rewarded his faithfulness.

Return of the thread!

Our interim pastor started a new series on the structure of and roles in the local church. The main text was 1 Thessalonians 5:12-19 (and may continue on to verses 20-22 next week; the service ran long as it was):

Now we ask you, brothers, to give recognition to those who labor among you and lead you in the Lord and admonish you, and to regard them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we exhort you, brothers: warn those who are irresponsible, comfort the discouraged, help the weak, be patient with everyone. See to it that no one repays evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good for one another and for all.

Rejoice always!
Pray constantly.
Give thanks in everything,
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Don’t stifle the Spirit.
The focus of the first sermon was the role of pastor.

Our interim pastor taught on Romans 12:1-9 as part of a series on church structure.

Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.

For by the grace given to me, I tell everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he should think. Instead, think sensibly, as God has distributed a measure of faith to each one. Now as we have many parts in one body, and all the parts do not have the same function, in the same way we who are many are one body in Christ and individually members of one another. According to the grace given to us, we have different gifts:

If prophecy,
use it according to the standard of one’s faith;
if service, in service;
if teaching, in teaching;
if exhorting, in exhortation;
giving, with generosity;
leading, with diligence;
showing mercy, with cheerfulness.

Love must be without hypocrisy. Detest evil; cling to what is good.

Specifically, he taught on the role of church members in the life of the church.

Our guest speaker for yesterday's service spoke on Paul's testimony and how God uses the least likely people for His work.

So! Was waiting for this link to get posted. Didn't see it on the church website, but it was on the Vimeo already. Oh well.

This week, the sermon was on being made for community. It's a transition one-off between series. There's a lot of lead-in and chatter compared to his usually very linear-exegetical style, but it was still a poignant and biblically defensible sermon.

Was also the first time since Spectre-6 was born that we made it back to church. Was nice.

New series, You, Me, and Family, has begun. The first sermon is about friendship, and it's a great one.

This week, the focus was "Marriage and Men." A pretty great and convicting sermon. Link as always.

Missed church last week, and I forgot to post the video because of it. The sequel to Marriage and Men is Marriage and Women. The pastor did a smart thing and co-taught with his wife (she did most of the teaching) to help make sure that the words were heard rather than ignored because a man is telling women what to do. In any case, it was a good sermon, and there was plenty for guys to learn from too:

Then, this weekend, the subject was Marriage and Conflict. Good lessons within the lesson for everyone, not just married folk. But extra helpful for married folk.

Back