[Weekly - W] Now Playing

While I can't get enough of Far Cry 4 and things both absurd and awesome that happen, I actually played around two hours of Street Fighter V with a friend last night after my wife went to sleep. He's heading to his first big tournament on Saturday, so I offered to be his sparring partner. Might be doing so again tonight.

Also picked up WWE 2K16 super cheap ($9) at Redbox. Excited to get into that eventually. I love wrestling. :D

While I can't get enough of Far Cry 4 and things both absurd and awesome that happen, I actually played around two hours of Street Fighter V with a friend last night after my wife went to sleep. He's heading to his first big tournament on Saturday, so I offered to be his sparring partner. Might be doing so again tonight.

Also picked up WWE 2K16 super cheap ($9) at Redbox. Excited to get into that eventually. I love wrestling. :D

I don't play SFV but curious Gerbils wish to know if you have a main?

I wanted to main Alex, but he doesn't have a whole lot of combo conversion that I've seen. I tend not to play female characters with their female endowments on accentuated display in the way that hers are, but I really, really like R. Mika. She's much closer in practice to what I hoped I'd find in Alex.

But, simply due to past familiarity, I default to Ken. I haven't played in a while, so I haven't actually put in the work to get good with anyone. Would like to change that, but I can only invest in getting good in so many games. (Or, y'know, as is becoming increasingly the case, even one. ;) ) SFV is in competition with my just-acquired Guilty Gear Revelator for fighting game love, and I /really/ like Guilty. haha

Last edited:
Mmm...Street Fighter. Have never played 5, but now you got me curious.

Memories, Street Fighter on the SNES, at my cousin's place. Console gaming has come a long way since....

Far Cry 4 is my number one jam right now, even over Destiny.

However, today, I sold my copy of Transformers: Devastation (but only because I now have it digitally through PS+) and picked up Need For Speed (2015). It makes me very happy.

Still playing PAD.

Played Oceanhorn for 30 minutes, paused the game for 4-5 hours, then played an additional 15 minutes. #gamerdad

Uninstalled Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and Moebius Final Fantasy from my phone. Backed them up using Titanium Backup first, just in case. May uninstall more games (including Vainglory, Hearthstone, and Angry Birds 2) soon.

I've stopped playing Pokemon Shuffle, but I can't bring myself to uninstall it. I'd made it past stage 150 and collected quite a few 'mons.

Time spent with Wheel of Fortune Free Play is already on the decline because the ads are obnoxious and the cheapest IAP to get rid of ads is $5. If they offered a $2-$3 option to get rid of ads with no in-game currency, I'd jump on it.

And last on the list of mobile games is Monster Strike. I'm still logging in daily for rewards, but there's not much point to the in-game currency when the odds of getting a decent monster from the hatcher is, well, abysmal.

Hoping to try Victor Vran on the PC out with @Ember soon, but we have two small children, so...yeah. Probably not happening any time soon. But I bought the game for $5, so no regrets.

Last edited:
When I've gamed since last time, it's been nigh exclusively Need for Speed and Far Cry 4. Both...are highly favored for me. Enemies started using mortars in effort to stop me in FC4. haha Bought a Miata in NFS, but my Foxbody Mustang is still my virtual-car-baby.

I did multitaskingly finish the first playthrough of the Episode II and Episode III portions of Lego Star Wars Complete Saga somewhere in there, too. Such a great game. Totally gonna own that collection so my boy can grow into playing them. :D

It's Wednesday and I'm still playing PAD.

:/

Played some Yakuza 5 this week, but wow, the Saejima chapter feels like a bunch of padding. And I love this franchise. Probably more than I should. But while I'm a sucker for Japanese crime dramas (who knew?), the current chapter I'm playing is just dragging on and on and on.

I think I played short bursts of Oceanhorn, Pixeljunk Shooter, and Monster Strike (JP version) this week as well.

Oh, and I picked up another Japanese mobile game called Kamitsuri:

So good. And so little chance of it getting localized for North America or Europe. :(

Naturally still on GW2. Found out last night I am making progress with my vertigo issues. Got dumped out in the middle of a fight in the wild blue yonder and didn't totally panic for once. Only half panicked, remembered to deploy my glider wings after a few seconds. Much better than I normally do. Which is start shaking, start to gray out, etc. Yes, yes, it is only pixels. I've heard that over and over. My brain can't make the jump. I am improving though, I even ran up to the fight along a narrow, high path on my own, well edged up actually. I still play though, and enjoy the game.

Playing a demo of Dragon Quest Builder. It's where DQ meets Minecraft. It's interesting, though I've never been into the Minecraft thing, this one seems interesting! I always loved Dragon Quest, though. It has that lovely music as well.

I might actually purchase the game some time.

More Puzzle & Dragons.

The occasional round of Kamitsuri. (Man, I wish I could read Japanese text.)

And some Zelda: Wind Waker HD. (My 5-year old recently chided me for repeatedly chasing after distractions instead of returning to Windfall Island. That's right. I was reprimanded by a kindergartner for my penchant for wandering.)

More Puzzle & Dragons.

The occasional round of Kamitsuri. (Man, I wish I could read Japanese text.)

Takes a lot of effort to be able to do it. I have learned basic vocabulary, grammar, able to read both kana alphabets and maybe 300-400ish kanji, and I still can't read Japanese effectively! It's such a drag.

Did recently buy Star Wars Battlefront. I enjoy playing it, like now, me being a Star Wars freak. :D

And some Zelda: Wind Waker HD. (My 5-year old recently chided me for repeatedly chasing after distractions instead of returning to Windfall Island. That's right. I was reprimanded by a kindergartner for my penchant for wandering.)
Smashing. hahaha

Did recently buy Star Wars Battlefront. I enjoy playing it, like now, me being a Star Wars freak. :D
I love Battlefront. I guess I can imagine it being reasonable that it was poorly received at launch, but, playing it now, it is 100% what I wanted in a new Battlefront game. I'm guessing the that problem was largely that existing fans of series have a tendency to not want new games but facelifts with minor enhancements of existing games. Battlefront is a great load of fun, and Walker Assault is the best thing ever. :D

I was gone most of last week for my brother's wedding. I have started playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PSP, though. It's fun, but hard. Works for me. Hardest part, I think, is the lack of a second stick for camera control. Making it work.

And downloaded the demo for Pokemon Sun/Moon last night. Eek. Gimme dat! :D

Been all over the gaming map last week. Most recently, though, I streamed some Guilty Gear on Tuesday evening while my wife was at her women's Bible study. Was getting a chance to re-break-in/re-learn how to play fighting games on arcade stick; I just rebuilt a Tekken 5 stick I had from long ago to play on PS3/PS4. Also, picked up Tales from the Borderlands from the library yesterday. Lots of smirking from that one so far, with moments of downright busting a gut.

im hoping to get tales on a good sale this holiday season.

I'm trying to get through last remnant.... slowly.

Been trying to play some more competitive Heroes of the storm lately too. Been feeling the competition tournament vibe lately and its pushing my reflexes and judgement calls more

So, over the course of a long weekend (regular length weekend, we just made a decision to not leave the house except for going on walks) and the night or two before, I ended up playing through all of Tales from the Borderlands and each of the missions of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan. Tales did not disappoint at any point in the experience. It was well-paced, great characters, fun sequences, and many more feely feels than I was prepared for. Also, more laughs than most games offer.

Turtles was...just above disappointment. It wasn't as bad as some had led me to expect it to be, but it wasn't as good as I really, really hoped it'd be anyway. I love Platinum's Transformers: Devastation, but Turtles didn't get there. Exceedingly repetitive levels, easy getting of S-Rank on in-level missions on normal difficulty, no challenge mode like other games from Platinum. Characterization is top notch, but that's about it. It was enough to make me not regret playing through it once, but it's not enough to make me want to play it more any time soon. (Transformers, by contrast, still gets play time from me when I wanna hop in and try to best my old scores.)

Last night, while glued to election poll updates, I started on Red Dead Redemption. Such great characterization and dialog in that game.

It's Wednesday!

...And, for better or worse, I'm still playing Puzzle & Dragons, though playing less since a busy month at work and everyday busy-ness at home leave me less time to play these days.

I'm close to quitting logging in for daily bonuses on Monster Strike and I haven't touched Pokemon Shuffle, Pokemon GO, or Wheel of Fortune Free Play in weeks. I'm sorely tempted to back them all up using Titanium Backup, uninstall them, and then reinstall them if I ever get the itch to play them again.

I missed last night's TF2sday event because I fell asleep getting my younger daughter to sleep. :/

The one night I got to participate in the Overwatch free weekend was a blast (thanks again, @The Mighty Gerbil!) and it reminded me just how much I enjoy PC gaming.

I've been making further progress in Zelda: Wind Waker HD on the Wii U and loving it. My older daughter frequently asks me to play. Unfortunately, parental responsibilities don't leave much time for console gaming. But when I get to play and she gets to watch, it's a very enjoyable experience to have my girl cuddled up next to me while we go exploring the open seas. :D

Been playing Pokémon Sun almost exclusively. It's pretty great across the board. Just got ESO Gold for PS4 to play with my brother/sister-in-law. Booted up last night. Forgot that it's pretty fun in the time since last I played it.

Just gotta keep going on GW2 because some real changes are going now. Living world Crack In The Ice just released, the Heart of Thorns expansion was (is?) half off so I got it on my alternate account. To top it all I have been dipping my toes in WvW with a few guildies on a no smushy smushy basis (no tromping on other players). They were surprised when addition to running from hostiles or porting to spawn point, I will stand there and willingly die rather than smush another player. I did create two new 'toons on my alt, a Revenant class available only through HoT named Deplorable Asuran, and a dedicated WvW toon a healing elementalist named Quacking Quaker. Yes that is spelled right. Yes I get a little goofy while playing GW2, I blame it all on the interaction between me and my characters.

Back