What happens to people who sold their soul to the devil, then repented?

I don't count resuscitation post-cardiac arrest to be dead. It only counts as dying if you are declared clinically dead. And people don't generally come back from there (beyond a few cases of mistaken death....and at that point, are you really dead if you didn't die?)

Ok I guess this is semantics. Still I would not say that turning back on God and not repenting is an unforgivable sin, like its one specific sin you can do. That is a life time of rejection that ended most likely without the person knowing it was to end. Dying in a state of unrepentance is not an unforgivable sin, it is the life long condition of everyone who was not adopted as a child of God's.

I think it matters cause you are setting up kinda weird theology to say there is one sin that Jesus cant redeem.

Matthew 12:30"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Jesus' words, not mine.

If you completely turn your back on God (not just unrepentant sin after initially turning to Christ), that could certainly be construed as blasphemy against the Spirit.

For more views and opinions on this, check the "Unforgivable Sin" thread in the What Does God Say About... forums

Last edited:
I do not agree that dying while unrepentant can be equal to blasphemy against the holy spirit. I think you are taking that out of context.

Last edited:
I don't count resuscitation post-cardiac arrest to be dead. It only counts as dying if you are declared clinically dead. And people don't generally come back from there (beyond a few cases of mistaken death....and at that point, are you really dead if you didn't die?)

Then he is only "mostly dead". Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Ewoks, please re-read what I said before.

If you completely turn your back on God (not just unrepentant sin after initially turning to Christ)

I'm actually agreeing with you here. I don't believe that unrepentant sin is enough to cause eternal separation.

I'm talking about snubbing your nose at God and walking away, with the intention in your heart of never returning. Or walking away from the faith and working ceaselessly against Jesus (and essentially become an antichrist, as referenced in 1 John 2:18, 1 Jn 2:22)

Go forward one verse to 1 John 2:19

19They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

Doing what you mentioned implies they never were really saved in the first place.

LOL. Funny this topic should come up. This was actually semi-debated on ABC many years ago.

There was a group (I can't remember what they called themselves) that would commit the "unforgivable sin" referenced in Matthew 12:31-32 (or Luke 12:10). This sin was blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. They believe Christianity (and less-promenently all religion) was a crutch upon the human race, "forcing" humanity to follow a set of rules and regulations that "hindered" mankind from reaches its highest potential or greatest joy. Their method was simple: post a video of yourself on youtube openly denying the Holy Spirit and anything else related to Christianity.

Well, they had a debate about the existence of God, salvation, etc. on ABC with Ray Comfort (a evangelist) and Kirk Cameron (a Christian actor). Not sure who won the debate as I didn't see the thing, but I later looked it up on youtube. You can't find the ending to the debate (oddly enough), but I didn't need it.

For one, all the "rules" and "regulations" that they wanted to avoid were the commands and laws given by God in the Bible. However, these are hardly "laws" when taken in proper logic. If I am a follower of Christ, I (out of my love for God and Christ) will strive my best to obey what He has commanded and told me to do (John 15:14). Not because I am forced to, but because I'm doing what Christ would want me to do.

The "unforgivable sin" that they refer to is not a one time event or action. The word "blasphemy" as is used in Matthew 12 and Luke 12 is a continual resistance or rebellion to the Holy Spirit. This is a rebellion against salvation (something mankind is born into). Until a person receives salvation, he is already committing this sin.

To further drive this point home, John 10:28-29 shows us that no person who is saved by Christ is able to lose his salvation. Christ is forever his, and he is forever Christ's. There is no Scripture that shows we can lose our salvation. People who "take the mark of the Beast" are already in existence. Yes, they don't have 666 printed on their forehead or on their hands, but they live it and do it. It's written all over them by what they do and say. It's really hard for us out see that just by appearance, but as a mentor of mine once said, "You can't judge a book by it's cover, but you can have a pretty good guess at what's inside."

However, we can lose heavenly rewards. This is referenced in 1 Corinthians 3:10-15. It's like looking at two guys. One has invested all he has into his family and friends, the other has only invested in personal possessions. Both have their houses burn to the ground by a huge fire, but everyone survives. The guy who has invested in his family and friends has lose little if anything. The guy who has invested in possession has lost everything, but he himself is safe and alive.

Soo... yeah. LOL. Guess this is why I'm a Bible Major. :p

Hope you liked the sermon. :D

Back