What would you do to make TF2 better?

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
...And today's question is what would you do to make TF2 better? My recommendations are...

1. Change the name given to the Spy while disguised to appear as something other than the name of the enemy looking at him. Thus the name would appear different to the relative viewer. To me it's just stuuuuuuuupid the way it is now especially since you can't see or choose what name you have (although what class you choose does effect it).

2. Replace some of the shotguns with different weapons. To me 4 classes with the same exact weapon is counter to a class based design style.

3. MORE MAPS! I am all about quality over quantity but TF2 only has 9 official maps and there are imo no custom maps as well made as them. Of those 9 2 are actually the same map Well_ctf and Well_cp. Badlands_cp suffers from a design flaw as almost every team that captures the center point first eventually wins, usually sooner than later. Also while I have not gotten much into Hydro myself it doesn't seem very popular. That means there are only 6 maps that I like to play. In addition Well, 2fort and Granary while good maps are too me very similar, two opposing bases in a rectangle shaped map, It would be pretty simple to create a different shaped map. Either a triangle or circle would offer a noticeable difference in game flow (working on one now :) ).

4. Nerf the "uber the medic" and have him run around with the ubersaw filling his uber gauge technique. I've never done it but I'm guessing that's how it works and it's annoying because the ubers build way too fast. I'd make it so that a medic's uber cannot build while ubered.

5. Please add a reset button to stats. I heard there used to be a non-working one but I would really like one. I did not think about it before playing it and a single game of the achievement box messed up my medic, heavy and scout stats. I didn't even get the difficult achievements there.

6. As crits work now the better you are doing the more likely you are to get a crit (it is in the commentary). I'm really not sure this is fair as it makes it harder to take down an already good player. I'd remove it.

I figure since the other classes are going to be getting new stuff there is no reason to nerf the medic's needlegun as they will naturally get weaker. I've got ideas for new level weapons for other classes too...

Soldier: A rifle with a right click bayonet lunge charge. You would hold down the right button while stationary to charge a short meter then release for a quick lunge attack. This would have a very high attack power but have short pause in the finish animation which would make you vulnerable and prevent players continually lunging to increase the soldier's travel time. This would replace the shotgun and have approximately the same abilities with the primary fire.

Spy: A silenced pistol. Similar abilities to the revolver but a larger clip ~9 round clip and slightly slower reload. It would also be silent to enemies not very close to it. Useful for making those shots in the back undetected.

Spy: Stiletto knife. Same as the regular knife but the cloak builds on stabs.

Spy:...better spy taunts :p.

Sniper: A box of angry cobras (cobras would strike and disappear, no AI) with a invisible trip wire for a trigger. Placement would work similar to the engineers stuff but no wrenching. It would be for spy/scout defense mainly but could be disarmed if hit with a melee weapon or the tripwire could be easily jumped over if the trap is seen. Attack power would only be enough to kill a spy or scout. This would not replace any weapon but be new as I feel the sniper could use some form of defense.

Pyro: A new flamethrower with a secondary fire button. Instant suicide explosion catches nearby enemies on fire (I heard this one online I take no credit).

Pyre: Molotov cocktails for mid range throwing. Would have a arc to the fire but less curved than the demos weapon with no bounce or time delay just a small flame explosion on impact. It would replace the shotgun for a mid range weapon offering more power but a slow rate of fire.

Heavy: Add the ability to grab and throw people with right click while on punch causing great damage to any who are hit with the body and killing the thrown. Would allow you to throw your teammates to a higher level (but not nearly as high as a demo or soldier can go) with a little damage to them.

Heavy: A large automatic pistol. Similar power to the shotgun but a improved range and larger clip. This and the "toss" ability would hopefully make the heavy a more attractive class. Arnold Schwarzenegger used a Russian made automatic in Red Heat (movie) that would be appropriate.

Last edited:
Great ideas!

Not sure I have the time to post any new ones, but I thought yours were very creative. The only one that seems to have been done but removed from TF2 *all grendaes for that matter* was the molotov coctail idea for Pyro. While it wasn't a molotov, he did have incendiary grendaes that caused a round area of fire on the ground, and any opposing enemy that stepped in it was on fire for a brief amount of time.

The sniper idea for the trap is a good one IMO, but make it a poisoning idea, where it slowly leeches health from the toon bitten unless a medic heals them.

But seriously great ideas!

i must disagree. a lot of your ideas are cool, yet a lot of them would nuke the class or be to impractical.
more maps is a great idea.
The spy's name is a give away, thus, one must be more careful. If they changed that, it wouldn't nerf the class to much, but still. I think your improvements to the spy would over power that class.
The knife that adds to the cloak is an okay idea, but if that is true, then you will have tons of spy's going around knifing people, then re-cloaking so no one could find them. I think it would inevitably make the spy an overpowered class.
To having the heavy be able to throw people, i don't think would work, because annoying players could go around throwing random people just to be annoying.
The sniper's snakes would be a little impractical, because of the configuration needed.
The soldiers lunge is a great idea. I personally want to see a more popular close range combat in TF2. For example, in CS:S if someone could attack you close range, it only took two attacks (if the other character had full health) to kill the other player. Yet, in TF2, it can take up to 5 or 6, with certain character's close range weapons.

I had reservations about some of it Glitch however...

All the snakes would do is be a line of sight item. It would work exactly as claymores do in other games except the graphics would be snakes and they wouldn't explode which would be more appropriate for a outback type guy (exploding snakes oh noes :p). With you being unable to trip the trap you could stand right on the trigger while sniping and yes it could be destroyed prior to triggering. However since it would work like the engineers stuff you'd be warned if someone did destroy or trip it (tripping it would destroy it as it would be one shot). Hmmm poison I like it Elihu :). It would still need to kill a spy on one strike to be an effective defense for the sniper but poison would make it great against other classes too (imagine putting it across the end of the sewer pipes in 2fort).

I thought about the "heavy throwing teammates could be annoying thing" before posting and do agree with you but went ahead and put the idea in (I cut half my ideas before the post). The problem is few like being the heavy so he really needs a completely new ability to make that class more popular. You cannot simply make him run faster that would wreck the game. Perhaps if throwing a teammate required a confirmation from the throwee or if you could do it with no damage IDK. I am open to suggestions but the heavy is the class that needs the most fixing imo.

As far as spies go I could talk for hours about them (which is why this post is so long :p) but I will have to disagree, spies wouldn't be overpowered. Believe me if there is any class I know it's the spy, check my insane time on playing the spy if you doubt http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998342088/stats/TF2 87 hours, more than twice any other class (some of the stats are messed up but my time on spy is correct). Yes my scores aren't very good like my aim. Basically I've come to the conclusion that if you know what you are doing you can make yourself spy proof as long as the spy doesn't coordinate his attack with others (which I cannot do effectively because steam does not work with my mic but I digress -_-). The problems with the spy are...

You cannot physically walk fast enough to catch up to a pyro medic combo.

It is exceedingly tough to kill a engineer "turtleing" correctly and who is a decent shot. Add a second engineer for a crossfire and your goose is cooked. I usually have to lure them away then kill them in open combat. (in a 2fort instant spawn server it becomes impossible to make progress as a spy against a couple smart engineers but that's another issue).

Many of the custom maps are built without any consideration for the spy. Usually featuring wide open areas with little cover, very bad for the spy.

There is definitely, positively something squirrelly about the backstab/frontstab detection. At first I chucked it up to lag but that is not the only issue. I've repeatedly gotten right behind STATIONARY targets stabbed and gotten no backstab. I've also gotten backstabs on clear frontstabs. Part of it appears to be when you are too close to a target it registers as the opposite side. However I've been farther away and gotten the same results too. I used to think it evened out but I'd rather be gauged on actual skill than dumb luck whether success or failure.

I've gotten very good scores and I've gotten very bad scores as a spy and (for once) think it has less to do with my skill and more to do with who you are fighting. There was one soldier who rotated very frequently and rocketed anyone who got close to him. Medics who are wise enough to heal running backwards help protect their heavy. Shoot everyone regardless, rotate frequently and you've limited the spy's backstabs to using other peoples pvp. Simply put and I've heard this elsewhere "engineer and spy are the 2 classes that the more people learn the tougher it will be to play them".

The bottom line is no matter what you do you are going to die frequently because of things beyond your control. Enemies will drop down on you from above or turn a corner just as you do and as a spy you can't trade blows point blank. Bat happy scouts will randomly strike all the places spies hide and you won't be able to run away fast enough. Well why not just fight? Because the spy is supposed to be an outsmart the other guy class not an "I've got a better aim than you class". Sure on any FPS a good aim should be a plus but one of the reasons TF2 is different is because you can use your brain and teamwork to overcome that. The fact is in spite of insane practice I don't think I will ever have a better aim so I like being able to compensate in other ways.

Enough about my ideas lets hear yours people! :)

Last edited:
The cloak type knife would have to have some kind of draw back...

I didn't realize that "doing good" was part of the factor for crits, but either way I still enjoy them. even when I get blown to bits by a crit rocket from 100miles away they add a great kick that makes the game so crazy awesome amazing.

I must say I love Valve. I really want them to finish all the other packs, because their ideas are amazing. the new reflect ability for they pyro is phenomenal. I can't wait to see what they have for the other classes, mostly because I just don't know what TO do.
I might think of things for some classes, but what in the world for scout?

I think a funny thing for engi would be a would be a repairing shotgun!

- stat reset PLEASE! I got on some hacked our server the other day and now my high score for Medic reads 611 and healing high score is 300,000+ :p

- Get the other achievement packs out, especially the demo's! :)

Wow those are some good ideas. I personally cant wait for the demo and spy packs to come out b/c those are the funniest classes IMO. I agree its kinda redundant that 4 classes have shotguns instead of other guns. Here are a few ideas that i have.

For sniper give them some sort of detection device that he can place so when something gets close to that object the sniper is alerted (almost like the tripwire idea with out the explosion/damage), kinda like the engineer knows when his stuff is getting sapped. But make this device destroyable so you are able to get by it if you see it.

Give the demo some kind of close range weapon, the only way the demo can really kill something close range is to shoot at the ground and run away and hope you don't explode too.

Thats all i can think of for now!

Oh, for NGs, something I really liked in Q3F is that there was a bit of a blast radius around the dispenser when you blew it up. The more it was loaded up with ammo and what not, the more damage it would do.

This was great for putting on stairs and choke points, and you could "detonate" it more or less if you caught someone going nearby.

Oh, for NGs, something I really liked in Q3F is that there was a bit of a blast radius around the dispenser when you blew it up. The more it was loaded up with ammo and what not, the more damage it would do.

This was great for putting on stairs and choke points, and you could "detonate" it more or less if you caught someone going nearby.
Same for TFC. I had a hotkey for detonating the dispenser and I would place it appropriately when I played defense. TFC even gave you a warning when an enemy was using your dispenser, so you knew when to blow it up.

I kinda miss that. :(

Same for TFC. I had a hotkey for detonating the dispenser and I would place it appropriately when I played defense. TFC even gave you a warning when an enemy was using your dispenser, so you knew when to blow it up.

I kinda miss that. :(

But Tek you'd miss those priceless (and very seldom) moments when you sap a engineers sentry then pretend to be a friendly pyro using his dispenser who came and ran off that bad, bad, spy. The best part is when they check you by shooting but don't realize the dispenser makes you live longer than normal so they stop before you die. Then when the engy goes to rebuild his sentry thinking you are watching his back... Mwhahahahahah!

Back