Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for mobile

Hard Drive:131GB

Recovery: 14.6GB

DVD RW Drive

Keep in mind i haven't tryed to run GW2 since i Doubled the RAM to 4GB
GOD Bless,
Waynos

dude you need to dump vista and either find a free copy of xp or bump up to windows 7 if possible. Vista is such a system hog. It takes 1 gb just for the OS. You will notice a difference with the ram upgrade cause it will open up more on board video. I can run on my laptop i3 dual core 2.5 with 4 gb ram with intel on board video. Right now i can only run it on the lowest settings because of so much going on at times.

I agree with Shamgar, I'd upgrade to Win 7 64-bit so you can access all 4gb of that RAM and increase performance over Vista. A quick search online says your CPU supports 64-bit so you should be safe with the upgrade.

You can get a oem Windows 7 home edition for 100 bucks on tiger direct. Very easy to install.

Just wanted to see (so far) what the lowest system is that runs GW2 and see if anyone in my shoes has been able to run it

I have a slow pc as well. This computer was built in 2006 and the only hardware change was a downgrade in the video card:

Windows XP Pro SP 3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
2.21 Ghz, 4gb RAM

ASUS A8N-SLI mobo
300gb HD
ATI Radeon 1gb 4650

I've tested GW2 with it and it seems to run fine although when there's more action occurring such as more players fighting then the computer lags. I was hoping for a new computer but I'm in the middle of a home refinance where I may just pay the closing costs. Thus I'll use the money I set aside for a new computer for the refinance instead. Plus I'm still on the mends for my left hand. So I won't be playing much GW2 when it comes out.

As others have said, Windows Vista is a memory hog and was plagued with problems from the start.

I agree with Shamgar, I'd upgrade to Win 7 64-bit so you can access all 4gb of that RAM and increase performance over Vista. A quick search online says your CPU supports 64-bit so you should be safe with the upgrade.

Upgrade to Windows 7 or save for a desktop?
currently i don't have an extra $100.00 to drop an a new OS
or $600.00 to buy a new desktop.
System ($500) + monitor ($100)

Wednesday's stress test will tell me if i can run it as is
(not expecting a drastic improvement)
Or if i need to go to walmart
and buy this for $469.00
HP Pavilion P6-2120 Desktop PC (Monitor Not Included):
AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 Accelerated processor
2.20GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
6GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)
1TB SATA hard drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner
AMD Radeon HD 6530D Discrete Graphics
With up to 3064MB total available graphics memory
(this although pricey,seems best budget if i have to buy new)

If i bought a desktop
My wife isn't a gamer so instead of selling it,
i'll give her my Inspiron and she will have all the speed she needs
(she is running a Dell Latitude D510)<---dinosaur lol

Just remember that service with Stuff Mart is pretty much nonexistent. You may be able to get a better deal on line with free shipping. But for the money, despite it being an HP, you are getting a fair amount.

You can get better then that for $469 and not have to deal with wallmart and HP (2 companies I would never trust for PCs) Plus that video card is total crap, not sure it would run games. Honestly that whole system is junk, stay away.

Last edited:
This is more budget friendly so far
$378.00 and i could 4x the ram
dont know anything bout video cards or processors thou lol

Acer AM3470G-UW10P Desktop PC
Key Features and Benefits:
AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 Accelerated processor
2.50GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

500GB SATA hard drive
Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more

SuperMulti DVD Burner
Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet
AMD Radeon HD 6530 Series Graphics

Additional Features:
12-in-1 memory card reader
2 x USB 3.0 ports, 8 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x HD headphone jack, 1 x HD microphone jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x HDMI port, 1 x VGA port, 2 x PS/2 ports, 3 x audio ports
1 x PCI Express (x1) slot, 1 x PCI Express (x16) slot, 2 x external 5.25" bays, 2 x internal 3.5" bays

Software:
Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)
Microsoft Office Starter 2010: Includes reduced functionality versions of Microsoft Word and Excel, with advertising. PowerPoint and Outlook are NOT included. Purchase Office 2010 today and get the most out of your new PC. (To learn more about the features of Office 2010, click here)
McAfee Internet Security Suite Trial
Acer eRecovery Management

Support and Warranty:
1-year parts and labor limited warranty with toll-free tech support by phone
Restore discs are not included (unless specified by supplier). We recommend you use the installed software to create your own restore and backup DVD the first week you use the computer.

What's In The Box:
Power cord
USB keyboard
Optical mouse
Quick Start Guide

Sounds like a good start and you could add a video card at a later point. But you should have no problems running gw2 on about mid range

Now is not a good time to buy. Take that money and stash it till November . Gw2 won't be out till then and if you can save $600 by then you can get a gaming rig on black Friday. That system is crap and unless you have a non working machine I would def wait.

thanks for the input...depends on how fast i can save up..if im able to run GW2 at minimal settings for now it will make the slow process of saving for a new system seem less drawn out lol

Be aware that so far, graphical options in the beta are CPU bottlenecked. The devs said that GPU power options haven't been turned on yet. I know that they will turn on GPU settings later, but not sure how much CPU dependency will slow down.

I'll keep that in mind.
on the upscale i just ran WoW for a few hours and had no issue's.
lets hope GW2 stress test goes that smooth lol

I've been running GW2 on an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop, Intel Core 2 duo, Mobility 4650. I've kept things at low settings, though I haven't seen much difference at the various levels in playability. Haven't had much trouble with lag except in WvW and during the BWE2 finale. The big issue is that it has a heat design flaw, and gets scorching hot if it's just sitting on a flat surface. I've been setting it on an ice pack wrapped in a towel and that keeps it at a reasonable temperature, but is very precarious.

So I'm in the market for a new PC as well. The research I've done so far says that Black Friday isn't necessarily the best time to buy one. Apparently some of the lowest prices on computers during the year happen in late July and August because of "back to school".

I got my laptop on a black Friday sale from NewEgg three years ago. At the time I was going for something that was the least expensive but still able to run the CAD/CS4/Video Editing software I use. I think I've learned my lesson about shooting for the low end, though. Things change so quickly, that if you buy your bare minimum rig, it's going to be obsolete very soon. My three year old laptop runs GW1 on max settings with no problem, could easily handle moderate requirement games of the time, but now it sits on or slightly below the minimum specs for MMOs that are being released now (Rift, GW2).

So I'm going to be looking for a new system in August, hopefully in time for GW2 launch. I've recently happened on information on building your own rig, and while it sounds intimidating, there are a lot of people that insist it really isn't that difficult. It sounds like the hard part is picking out the parts and making sure they'll all play nice together, and that the actual assembly is about being patient, able to follow directions, and operate a screwdriver.

I'm just starting my research, but it looks like I could get a system that will run GW2 on high/max settings for around 1k, or build it for significantly less ($750?).

This is what I'm running and im able to gw2 at ultra

2.83 quad core 2 duo
GTX 550TI 1 gb ram
8 gigs ram
120 ssd drive

I have had no problems at all.

I'm also on an HP Pavilion that's about 3 years old now and I'm running GW2 Betas on full max settings with little to no lag. However my specs are a bit better than yours Kymeric.

Intel Quad Core 2.66Ghz
8gig RAM
Video: Radeon 6570 1gig.
Windows Vista

I really don't know much about video cards and which ones are better than others. I kinda go to the store, look at the price tag and memory on each and assume the higher the price tag, the better the card.

This computer came with an Nvidia Geforce 768mg video card that ran GW just fine on max settings but it broke down on my earlier this year. The fan on the card quit working and pretty much ground my system to a complete halt. I took it in to a shop and they recommended this card for the games I'd be playing and my budget.

I think my biggest limitation right now is my power supply. It's 350volt and most video cards said they require a minimum of 400volt power.

I'm also on an HP Pavilion that's about 3 years old now and I'm running GW2 Betas on full max settings with little to no lag. However my specs are a bit better than yours Kymeric.

Intel Quad Core 2.66Ghz
8gig RAM
Video: Radeon 6570 1gig.
Windows Vista

I really don't know much about video cards and which ones are better than others. I kinda go to the store, look at the price tag and memory on each and assume the higher the price tag, the better the card.

This computer came with an Nvidia Geforce 768mg video card that ran GW just fine on max settings but it broke down on my earlier this year. The fan on the card quit working and pretty much ground my system to a complete halt. I took it in to a shop and they recommended this card for the games I'd be playing and my budget.

I think my biggest limitation right now is my power supply. It's 350volt and most video cards said they require a minimum of 400volt power.

could you tell me the model number?
like HP g5678 or whatever?

id rather buy one that is able to run GW2
obviously yours does so ill try and see what my wallet will allow lol

Back