Why was dancing considered wrong?

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Ok this is just out of curoisty, but i was watching "beyond the gates of splendor" and one of the wifes made a commment about how the one guys mother didt think he was going to heaven becuase he dances . now i know that dancing now days is way messed up and inappropriate, but i mean back in the 50-60's how was dancing wrong??

Elders have always considered the pastimes of the young immoral. Beyond that, though, this attitude towards dancing often comes because of its main use - to get males and females of similar age together for courtship.

Coming from a cultural standpoint of ballroom dancing, things like "The Twist," or the way that Elvis used to shake his hips, were considered to be much too sexualized. Coming from the cultural standpoint of modern hip-hop "dancing," we might think differently.

Dancing is an interesting topic because it shows just how much of our moral compass is determined by social norms. I'm glad you brought it up.

well see the thing about me asking is becuase, im learning to salsa dance and i agree some dancing is wrong, but so far salsa has been decently clean or else i wouldt be there lol

Yeah, my grandma used to swing dance back in the day and she was telling me about how some of the dances were outlawed because of the closeness lol.

Why was dancing wrong back in the 50's & 60's? Who knows for sure. Probably because it was being done to that crazy rock n roll music and there was lots of hip gyrations goin on. However go to any bible program and do a search for dance and see what you get.
The one that sticks out the most to me is this.
2Sa 6:14 And David danced before the LORD with all [his] might; and David [was] girded with a linen ephod.
Here the ark had was being returned to the city and man i bet that was a party! BUT it was a party glorifying God.

Psa 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Ecc 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

Jer 31:13 Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow.

So there is nothing wrong with dancing, but when it gives glory to God that is when it is considered praise and yes a form of worship. The messianic synagogue I go to has a dance team and they perform a Davidic dance.

What Is Davidic Dance?

Davidic Dance is a physical expression of praise, thanksgiving and joy to Elohim (G-d). The Hebrew word for dance is rachad (pronounced r'kad) which means to skip or leap for joy. Some of the dances are patterned after traditional Israeli folkdances; others are originally choreographed by Messianic believers. They vary from very simple, repetitive steps to more complex. They are meant to be danced as a group without any emphasis on one dancer. The tone of the dances range from reverentially devotional to exuberantly joyful. Dancers include men, women, teenagers and young children. All celebrations (i.e. b'nai mitzvot, weddings, seders, social gatherings, etc.) as well as worship services are appropriate times to dance. Davidic dance can play an important role in uniting Jewish and gentile believers in praising Adonai (the Lord).

Who Are Messianic Believers?
Messianic believers are Jews who recognize that Yeshua (the original name of Jesus in Hebrew) is the promised Messiah who has come and will come again. Messianic believers accept the Holy Hebrew Scriptures (the Old Testament) and the B'rit Hadasha (the New Testament) as the inspired Word of HaShem (G-d). In practice, they recognize and observe the Jewish holidays and customs. Some gentile believers, commonly referred to as 'Christians', prefer the term 'Messianic' because it conveys their appreciation for the Jewish roots of their faith and their special love for Israel and the Jewish people.

Here is a page from the synagogue's website with some more info on it.
Messianic Dance

Back