WvW pulling?

Waynos

I have noticed (and had happen to me);
people are able to pull me/others off of walls from great distances.
so i was wondering;
how this is done?
what classes are capable of it?
how can i do this?

any/all input is welcome and appreciated lol

Hi, Waynos.

The most common, as far as I know, is a mesmer using Temporal Curtain. That's the skill you see them laying down that gives a speed boost to allies and cripples opponents who pass through it. If the mesmer hits the skill again, it does an AoE pull that pulls opponents through the center of the line to the other side. Mesmers can drop these right in front of a keep wall, then pull opponents off. I understand that stability will prevent this, and being back a bit on the wall will as well, though I've experienced coordinated teams doing chain pulls, so the first one gets you to the edge of the wall, and the next pulls you over.

Thieves also have scorpion wire, but it's only a 900 range skill, so it's harder to use than just dropping curtain on the ground and yanking people over.

Necromancer has Spectral Grasp, which is a 1200 range skill that pulls, but I haven't heard people talking about using it in WvW, so that makes me wonder if something makes it ineffective for pulling people from keep walls. Then again, the Necro forum is pretty much the only one I don't read, so I may have just missed it.

Last edited:
Another reason to hate Mesmers. Well.. that is unless you are a mesmer or have a mesmer friend.

I love doing that. Pulling people off walls is an amazing amount of fun.

Dropped my Mesmer at level 65 for the moment, because they fixed the LoS issue with phantasms. I totally understand why they don't want Mesmers casting things through walls, but the LoS programming is very buggy, and I was getting OBSTRUCTED messages from very small changes in terrain. And the problem with Mesmers is that when one attack fails, it means your illusion doesn't get produced, so one blind or OBSTRUCTED has a cascading effect, not only blocking the initial attack but all benefits you would have received from the illusion afterwards (boons, attacks, shatters).

They also did some kind of fix to boomerang attacks, because the game was increasing damage with each bounce. Unfortunately, this seems to have drastically reduced the damage of the greatsword phantasm, which wasn't OP to start with. The developers have admitted this and said it will be fixed, but it hasn't been fixed yet. It's a much smaller issue than the LoS one, but is still a problem with one of the most used mesmer weapons.

If you've noticed a dip in mesmers at all, these two reasons would be why.

I'll probably go back to my mesmer later, but I needed some time off after those big problems. There are plenty of people saying the class is still playable, and Waynos question about pulls indicates people are still running them just fine in WvW, but it's good to take a break sometimes before you come back and figure out how to approach your profession from a new angle.

And I'm loving my Nordic Thief at the moment. :D

I keep scorpion wire on hand at all times in WvW ... so much fun to couple that with the immobilize venom.

Back