Yeah, I pwned Dragon's Throat.

For those who are Factions-challenged, Dragon's Throat is a challenge mission. Basically, it's not important to the storyline, so it's optional, but you basically do it for fun and to see your name in lights.

In this mission, the objective is to clear out a sewer area of as many Afflicted (level 20s, bosses are level 24) as you can in 15 minutes, with one minute added to your timer for each boss you take out. My team cleared 193, of which maybe 7 were bosses, so we averaged a kill every 7-8 seconds for 22 minutes straight to get to 2nd place in the daily contest.

Our team consisted of one Stance/Cyclone Axe W/Mo (me), a TF/Hundred Blades W/R, two healing monks, two ranger spike/Barrage, a minion master, and an assassin who had 60% DP five minutes in. Imagine how well we would have done had the assassin been replaced by, say, a SS necro, or an Ele with fiery falling things.

i think the problem is people arnt spending 10k or so to get the 70 armor for the assasin, which means instadeath for those nubs traveling on 55 or *gasp* 30 armor

I've got full 70 Kurzick armor (except for the Gloves and Mask, but those are 70 from Kaineng).

I know my problem is that it's hard to get into the mindset of "Ok, you're not a tank, you need to wait until the warriors or somebody else starts taking aggro, and you need to hit and fade." Back-row melee just seems like an oxymoron to me. ;)
Could be that, or my 2 superior runes...

Thrawn said:
I know my problem is that it's hard to get into the mindset of "Ok, you're not a tank, you need to wait until the warriors or somebody else starts taking aggro, and you need to hit and fade." Back-row melee just seems like an oxymoron to me. ;)
Could be that, or my 2 superior runes...
Gee, ya think? ;)

Is that a listing of players who all got 193? Or that's the name of the group leader and then the rest of the members of the group?

EDIT: just saw all the discussion about Assassins. As anybody seen/know of someone who's been playing an assassin well in PvP or PvE? Someone who made you go "yea, that's how it's suppose to be done"? I love the assassin class, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make him useful to groups I join. I get the impression that many think that the Assassin class is not really an important, contributing member of a group.

Last edited:
ummmm Crimson Daggers of our New ally is the only person I have seen that does a good job with an Assassin before watching him I thought there was no use for the Assassin.

Assassins are the new Whammo. Which is good, because I now have someone to kick around.

The 193 score was for our entire team. You get together a group of 8, then go destroy as many enemies as possible. The guild or group leader's name is in lights, then you scroll over the name to see the members of the team.

Halonic, this mission alone is the perfect reason for you to get this far in Factions.

By the way, AG (Angelic Guard) invited me to be a member, then when I told them I led a guild, they invited us to ally with them. Of course, we'd have to give up leadership of our alliance, so I declined, but definitely my most positive PUG experience thusfar.

Shagz said:
saw all the discussion about Assassins. As anybody seen/know of someone who's been playing an assassin well in PvP or PvE? Someone who made you go "yea, that's how it's suppose to be done"? I love the assassin class, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make him useful to groups I join. I get the impression that many think that the Assassin class is not really an important, contributing member of a group.
Now you know how I feel as a mesmer... Our guild is the only place I'm appreciated!

Whammo = Warrior-Monk?

I guess I gotta practice my "assassining" with a "guerilla warfare, spike offense" mind set instead of "sit there and stab until target dead" tactic.

Last edited:
When I Monk I spam for assassinless groups. Assassins excell at dying quickly and repeatedly in my limited experience in Cantha.

A guy was talking to me the other day about an elite called AoD (Aura of something) that supposedly makes an Assassin worth inviting to the group. I will have to see it to believe it.

Halonic, this mission alone is the perfect reason for you to get this far in Factions

I tried it with my Monk the other day. We killed 148 before we all died. Monking is definitely a challenge in factions. Everything spikes. I have seen several missions/quests in Cantha that were tailor-made for guild groups.

Halonic said:
When I Monk I spam for assassinless groups. Assassins excell at dying quickly and repeatedly in my limited experience in Cantha.

A guy was talking to me the other day about an elite called AoD (Aura of something) that supposedly makes an Assassin worth inviting to the group. I will have to see it to believe it.

Yea, see, that's the attitude I keep encountering. :( I'm going to figure it out, the Assassin I think is a great class, there's just too many people playing it *badly*. (Is that what you meant by "Whammo" Pastori, that the Assassin class is too popular?) EDIT: there are a lot of really good anti-caster combos (like Palm Strike (a skill that skips the "lead attack" prerequisite) + Repeating Strike (5 nrg, 0 recharge/casting speed unless you miss) + Exhausting Assault (interrupt a spell, caster suffers exhaustion))

re: Aura...Aura of Displacement I think it is...

Sry, think I'm highjacking the thread... :p

Last edited:
Aura of Displacement it is. Assassins just need to realize that they are NOT tanks. Thats all it takes. I did a mission with Michio Deathblade the other night and he did a good job with his assassin.

I think best tatic for assassin is to get in lay a few attacks/conditions and get out, then keep repeating. The problem with people playing assassin's is that they do think that their assassin is a tank and can take lots of aggro. It took me awhile to figure this out with my assassin, i still tend to think he is a tank b/c i play a warrior so much.

slalomdms said:
I think best tatic for assassin is to get in lay a few attacks/conditions and get out, then keep repeating. The problem with people playing assassin's is that they do think that their assassin is a tank and can take lots of aggro. It took me awhile to figure this out with my assassin, i still tend to think he is a tank b/c i play a warrior so much.

Same here.
The problem I found with AoD (at least in the Raisu Palace mission), is that sometimes you shadow step in, and everybody turns to you, and you're dead before you can step out.

Back