Your posts

Eon said:
DV - I have a rule in debate I call "Play the ball, not the man." - how I would have handled your Bigotry situation would have been to tell the guy that his behaviour was biggoted, but not call he himself a biggot. By suggesting someone's behaviour is at fault, you set up a discussion wherein that behaviour can be modified without criticising the person himself unduly. If you call him a bigot you're saying that he is essentially at fault in himself as a person - there's not many places to go from there!

Understood, however, in this case, it was pretty clear cut. I wasn't saying anything that wasn't made obvious in the thread.

I honestly feel that Gen has done an excellent job and has a pure heart in wanting to moderate the forums to the glory of God.

In the time I have been here I have never heard of a mod haphazardly banning anyone. I can think of two bans in the past that, if you go back and read their posts, when the time came to ban them, they seem to be almost begging to be banned.

Considering everyone here, Christians and non, I don't think anyone would complain that we have not had freedom of speech. As we post throughout the year, we come to understand each person, as well as to know and love their eternal soul.

It has been said to never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. I think Gen, as much as anyone, and by her example, deserves that respect.

Well, not to beat a dead horse, but to address DV's name calling issue. I think at this point it is suffice to say, name is calling is out. One bad name leads to another and another, and the whole thing can snowball very quickly.

Now, in regards to the ToS and other means of expression. Please keep in mind that there is quite a bit that is permitted here. Again, to use DV's post on $1000....I can't quite say that that is a normal way to bring up a topic. However, the thread is still open. I will allow quite a bit, and hopefully the additional moderators will as well, but, there is no free speach on the forums. Tek has addressed this in a separate thread. I would like to encourage everyone to explore other ways to convey your thoughts and feelings. As Eon previously posted, there is a way to counterpoint a discussion.

IMO, the ToS allows for quite a bit of expression. Please keep in mind that Christians boards can endure a significant number of attacks and we must have a way to keep ourselves and our members safe. Also, while a majority of those who post in RD represent the upper end of the age demographics of the CGA, there are a lot of younger teens who do not need to see some of the posts that have come from such attacks. The ToS helps to guide current members in posting so that posts are not out of line.

Gen

I honestly don't understand the problem with the $1000 thread.

You've brought it up quite a few times. Would you mind explaining why you feel this thread is causing such a problem?

DV - I am sorry for using it as an example so much, but it has been such a prime example to counter those who say I close threads that I disagree with or don't support or have philosphical problems with or whatever. Your thread was a bit....ummmm.....different to say the least. In all honesty, I found the thread to be a bit bold. And, if you were a Christian, we probably would have had some PM's going back and forth over it. But at this point, it is still open. Sorry if I have made you feel uncomfortable referencing it.

That leads me to a question though...I do tend to be more lenient with those who are non-believers. Not in respect to the ToS, but is the nuances of posting and treating others with love and respect. I can hold all members to the same standards, but they will be Biblical based standards. Does everyone want that?

Gen

"I can hold all members to the same standards, but they will be Biblical based standards. Does everyone want that?"

hmmm that is a very interesting thought, however im not sure it would work becuase some people may come to the forums with little knowlege of biblical princeables...

Genesis1315 said:
DV - I am sorry for using it as an example so much, but it has been such a prime example to counter those who say I close threads that I disagree with or don't support or have philosphical problems with or whatever. Your thread was a bit....ummmm.....different to say the least. In all honesty, I found the thread to be a bit bold. And, if you were a Christian, we probably would have had some PM's going back and forth over it. But at this point, it is still open. Sorry if I have made you feel uncomfortable referencing it.

I don't feel uncomfortable, I just feel it was unwarranted. And by saying it was "different" really doesn't explain anything to me.

That leads me to a question though...I do tend to be more lenient with those who are non-believers. Not in respect to the ToS, but is the nuances of posting and treating others with love and respect. I can hold all members to the same standards, but they will be Biblical based standards. Does everyone want that?

Gen

Why are we, as nonChristians, being given more leeway? HOW are you being more lenient to us as opposed to the Christians? If you do so, I firmly believe you are doing a disservice to everyone on this board. We are all guests on this board, but the nonChristians here are even more of a guest. There's no need to play favorites.

I do feel, however, that this is a slap in the face to me and all nonChristians. It makes me feel that you see us as some sort of savages who can't have a peaceful discussion. That somehow, our morals can't match your level of morality. I would like to point out that in my time here, the majority of people that have been ugly and disrespectful in RD have been Christians.

I am honestly hurt by this line of thinking and feel slighted, to say the least.

Okay, PC aside DV...Coming out and telling a Christian that they are supposed to give you money really missed the purpose of charitable giving among other things.

My intention was not to make anyone feel uncomfortable but really to be fair. How can I expect one who does not follow the Bible to live by Ephesians 4:32 or any of the other passages that dictate Christian living. I apologize for any offense. I have tried to respect that others have differing opinions and belief systems. One may not follow the Bible. How can expect that one to understand then why I would not allow him (generic) back on the boards until he apologizes for an offense.

Ultimately though, it is up to you. I can treat everyone the same. And the standards will be based by those set forth in the Bible. Just let me know what you want (and it has to be the same for all)

Gen

Genesis1315 said:
Okay, PC aside DV...Coming out and telling a Christian that they are supposed to give you money really missed the purpose of charitable giving among other things.

I hope you don't honestly think I actually expected money. It was simply an examination of the verses with a bit of humor. Some people got it, some didn't.

My intention was not to make anyone feel uncomfortable but really to be fair. How can I expect one who does not follow the Bible to live by Ephesians 4:32 or any of the other passages that dictate Christian living. I apologize for any offense. I have tried to respect that others have differing opinions and belief systems. One may not follow the Bible. How can expect that one to understand then why I would not allow him (generic) back on the boards until he apologizes for an offense.

You don't have to be a Christian to understand Christian morals and guidelines. If you want to participate on a Christian forum, I would think it goes without saying that you should live by the rules of your hosts.

Ultimately though, it is up to you. I can treat everyone the same. And the standards will be based by those set forth in the Bible. Just let me know what you want (and it has to be the same for all)

Just a continuation of the above. I don't need to follow the Bible or be a Christian to have morals. Suggesting otherwise is insulting. As I have said, you shouldn't expect nonChristians not to follow ANY and/or ALL the rules you set forth. There is absolutely no need to play favorites. Treat us all equally.

Last edited:
Back