Howl's Moving Castle opens today

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
Howl's Moving Castle opens today in select theatres. According to the official web site, the film will "open everywhere June 17."

It's no secret that I'm a fan of anime in general and Hayao Miyazaki's work specifically. Spirited Away is one of my favorite animated films of all time. Rather than write a long rant expressing my opinions of American animation studios, I will content myself with suggesting that those who have not yet seen a Miyazaki film rent Spirited Away and enjoy.

Click here to view trailers for Howl's Moving Castle.

If you plan on seeing the movie during its limited or nationwide release, post a reply with your location. Maybe we can arrange for small clusters of CGA forum members to see the film together. ^^

i dont know, spirited away was a bit to cultish for my tastes, the other ones we're ok though. on cult-o-meter from 1-10 how would u rate it? i rated spirited away a 9.

Atown said:
i dont know, spirited away was a bit to cultish for my tastes
You have to remember that Spirited Away drew heavily on Japanese and (I believe) Chinese mythology and folklore. Think how many modern stories draw on Greek mythology.

Also realize that many fairy tales popular in American culture (Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves) feature witches, witchcraft, polymorphism, spells, incantations, and other occult references. Because these tales are so widely loved, though, no one thinks to complain of the inclusion of such content.

I hope this helps you better understand the film in its original Japanese, not American, context.

sadly i cant watch the trailers. but i will probably go see it, or wait for it to come out on dvd, because i like myazaki's work.

Cultish? Phhh... There's always stuff like that in China/Japan. I mean not demonic, it's not really bad, it's just folklore and such...

actually alot of the stuff in spirited away are shinto beliefs, which is a religeous cult in japan and china

Atown said:
actually alot of the stuff in spirited away are shinto beliefs, which is a religeous cult in japan and china

And that is going to stop you from seeing it? Guess you can't see Cinderella, Snow White, Pochahauntas (w/e it is spelled) or pretty much any Disney movie?

[toj.cc]phantom said:
And that is going to stop you from seeing it? Guess you can't see Cinderella, Snow White, Pochahauntas (w/e it is spelled) or pretty much any Disney movie?

Why would you want to see any of those movies? lol

hey, i dont have issues with most movies, i watch the harry potter movies, but in all honesty spirited away was just to much.

I'm going to a 4:15 showing of Howl's Moving Castle today, w00t! I'll write up a brief review some time this weekend.

Im a fan of Spirited Away :) , so Ill probably see it when it comes out on dvd. Ive also seen Kiki's Delivery Service, but I didnt think it was as great as Spirited Away in my opinion. The commercials for Howl's Moving Castle look cool. I hope its a good movie.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I've heard good things. I must say tho, I did not enjoy Spirited Away at all. I thought the character development was terrible and the plot way too bizzare. How similar to Spirited Away is Moving Castle? I did like Princess Mononoke--my all time anime favorite, actually.

Back