THe open source world jsut changed mightily

Yep, Oracle just essentially bought MySQL, which half of the Internet runs on. I'm not too worried though. If Oracle tries to sweep MySQL under the rug, the FOSS community will just make something better. ;)

ummm does that mean my stuff is gonna break either from being crappily made or because i have to pay for it?

ummm does that mean my stuff is gonna break either from being crappily made or because i have to pay for it?
it depends on what Oracle does, and how exactly this purchase is contracted out.

That said, Oracle isn't exactly known for playing nice with folks.

sooo. that means all my stuff is gonna break...... :(

Nah Atown, that just means that you won't be able to get new versions of MySQL going forward. Don't be surprised if Oracle takes it off the market and uses the technology in their product.

Nah Atown, that just means that you won't be able to get new versions of MySQL going forward. Don't be surprised if Oracle takes it off the market and uses the technology in their product.

sooo all my stuff is gonna break, lol

it is going to be interesting to see if projects now start moving away form mysql because i highly doubt mysql is going to stay alive in Ellison's world.

it is going to be interesting to see if projects now start moving away form mysql because i highly doubt mysql is going to stay alive in Ellison's world.

i agree. alot of people will either make a new solution (possibly 2 since thats normal) or make postgsrl the new standard

whaaat....? seriously? what could MySQL possibly have that Oracle doesn't?

whaaat....? seriously? what could MySQL possibly have that Oracle doesn't?

Have you ever used an Oracle DB? The things are management nightmares. MySQL is easier to install, easier to manage, and easier on system resources than Oracle is. Oracle can learn tons from MySQL I think.

Why doesn't Oracle keep MySQL? As far as I know, Oracle does not have a "free" version like their competitors. They could milk support contracts and tooling to make revenue streams for their "free" database since they are a commercial company. Similar to what MS does with SQL Express. MS still gets some money from you when you bought Windows and bonus if you buy Visual Studio to develop on SQL Express. If their customers want to build an "enterprise solution" they pitch Oracle as the solution or the next step up from their free version.

Why doesn't Oracle keep MySQL? As far as I know, Oracle does not have a "free" version like their competitors. They could milk support contracts and tooling to make revenue streams for their "free" database since they are a commercial company. Similar to what MS does with SQL Express. MS still gets some money from you when you bought Windows and bonus if you buy Visual Studio to develop on SQL Express. If their customers want to build an "enterprise solution" they pitch Oracle as the solution or the next step up from their free version.

Oracle XE is free for up to 2GB of data.

Have you ever used an Oracle DB? The things are management nightmares. MySQL is easier to install, easier to manage, and easier on system resources than Oracle is. Oracle can learn tons from MySQL I think.

It works a lot better in a hybrid environment. Until MySQL gets jobs and can easily import data via ODBC it is rather limited. And if you need foreign keys or acid compliance you end up having to use INNODB, which sucks RAM like mad and is slow. MySQL with nothing but MyISAM consumes ~20-30MB of ram. Throw in INNODB and that jumps up to about 100-300MB and will grow even faster for the same concurrency.

I like MySQL except for the fact that it always seems half developed. With 5.1 being shoved out the door early (with many open bugs capable of leading to data deterioration) it has dropped from my DB of choice.

if you need foreign keys or acid compliance

It can't really be *that* bad is it? The last time I looked at it was years ago, but those are some pretty fundamental concepts as far as databases go.

Back