5 Years..

Maddmedic

5 years what, some are asking and who is this MaddMedic:confused: dude that stumbles in here every so often?
Well somedood whom was a member of both ToJ and 7Seals(or something like that!) so long ago.
Anyhow 5 years ago my wife finished her last treatment for cancer and yesterday her MD gave her the thumbs up and told her to tell her Husband(me) she would be around to keep him in line for a long time!
I thank God every day for her and I well remember that dark year of surgeries, treatments, long drives through snowstorms. A Christmas that almost wasn't and a God that is wonderful and friends and family that rocked!
And a Church Family that was unbelievable.

Made what seemed important, not. Like computer games. I stil have never returned to them. Not sure I ever will.

It made me realize what is important and that was a good thing. Or a God thing!

Just thought I'd share that with the few still around that may remember!

5 years what, some are asking and who is this MaddMedic:confused: dude that stumbles in here every so often?
Madd! Great to see you! :)

Well somedood whom was a member of both ToJ and 7Seals(or something like that!) so long ago.
I think there are probably about 5 people on the forums that were around during the days of Seven Seals. Good times. Good times.

Speaking of Seven Seals, have you pre-ordered StarCraft II yet? I know you said you don't spend much time on gaming these days, but SC2 is the sequel to the hottest game of 1999. :D

Anyhow 5 years ago my wife finished her last treatment for cancer and yesterday her MD gave her the thumbs up and told her to tell her Husband(me) she would be around to keep him in line for a long time!
That's wonderful news!

I thank God every day for her and I well remember that dark year of surgeries, treatments, long drives through snowstorms. A Christmas that almost wasn't and a God that is wonderful and friends and family that rocked!
And a Church Family that was unbelievable.
A good church family can make all the difference in the world. Yes, God comes first, but seeing God's grace on display in the lives of other Christians--especially during truly difficult times--can give us the extra nudge we need.

Made what seemed important, not. Like computer games. I stil have never returned to them. Not sure I ever will.
I've long argued that the games are not important in and of themselves; their importance stems from the shared experience they provide. In short, games are platforms for fellowship.

StarCraft isn't as popular as it once was, nor is Counter-Strike, and even World of WarCraft won't last forever. Yet Tribe of Judah is still around after 11 years because our community is founded on a core similarity--our Christian faith--rather than on whatever game is most popular at the moment. Games are tools; like tools, your experience depends greatly on how you use them.

It made me realize what is important and that was a good thing. Or a God thing!
And God, family, and church are, of course, most important. I suppose I think of video games as replacing television and movies. Instead of watching a movie with my friends on a Tuesday night, I fire up Team Fortress 2 instead.

Just thought I'd share that with the few still around that may remember!
And it's great to see you're doing well.

Whether or not you ever pick up another game, you're always welcome here. :)

I don't know you - I wasn't around back then - but I praise God for the long term answered prayers. Welcome back.

Starcraft came out in 1998. And the hottest game of that year was actually Half-Life. :D
Aye, but the Christian gaming community didn't really take off until 1999 (and Maddmedic was there in the very early days). There were a few scattered clusters of Christian gamers in 1998, but '99 saw the formation of multiple Christian clans.

EDIT: And Half-Life Deathmatch is great at a LAN party and good online, but most of the activity in the early Christian gaming community (at least as I remember it) centered around StarCraft.

Last edited:
Back