Achievement Bug: What are you trying to prove?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
So, for some reason, I decided that I wanted to try to earn this evil achievement. So far I'm completed No Mercy, Death Toll, and Dead Air on expert, but the achievement only lists my progress as 2/4.

After completing No Mercy and Death Toll on expert, the achievement stated my progress as 2/4. After surviving Dead Air in online co-op (my first run), the achievement still displayed 2/4. After putting in the grueling effort to do it again, but in single player, the results were the same.

Way to drop the ball, Valve. Your achievement tracking system is miserable, at best, if it fails to log hours and hours of work for something relatively simple. You must have some amateurs running your SQL tables over there.

Oh, and I had to do the Death Toll campaign twice on expert to get credit for it. Pathetic achievement tracking.

Has Valve even commented on this? Is there any workaround? My assumption is that they're going to ignore it, just like the bugged TF2 stats/achievements, until it is convenient for them to resolve it.
Source: Achievement Bug: What are you trying to prove?

It seems you're not the only one experiencing technical difficulty with the What Are You Trying To Prove achievement, Elihu. :(

Why do I get the feeling Valve has put fixing this achievement bug right below fixing the TF2 "frontstab" on their list of priorities?

You may not be aware of it but last week a TF2 Update messed up Half Life 2: Episode Two royally. At first you couldn't play at all with every leaf's (how sections are divided to render) or area portal's entrance becoming a blue void and having your weapons have infinite ammo. Even after Valve fixed that Episode Two Achievements weren't working until Valve updated again and yes I did have to choose that week to be finally playing it XD.

Speaking of frontstabs according to what I've heard the origin of the raytracing on the TF 2 models is to far forward. That causes blows to be detected on the other side of a player. It may not be as bad as we think though. I've had people say I frontstabed them (meaning glitch backstabed) and looked at the icon and it's been a legitimate frontstab. I mean in spite of the knife being the weakest melee weapon it can still kill from the front.

Last edited:
Yeh Tek, that's what mine shows as well, 2\4 maps compeleted on expert when i know that i've now done them all. Guess its good to know its not me, that's its the system.

Yeh Tek, that's what mine shows as well, 2\4 maps compeleted on expert when i know that i've now done them all. Guess its good to know its not me, that's its the system.
We all know how l33t you are, Elihu, and that's what matters. :)

Back