Advice please ...

Avesther

My system seems to be running a little warm. CPU temp is idleing at 38-41'C and system temp is about the same.

Doing some research on my own, I am finding most people are of the opinion that your system temp should be able to maintian a temp of room temp (20-21'c) +5'C.

On the other hand, the air coming out the exhaust fans don't seem that hot (40'C) at all.

For cooling, I have an Enermax Dual Fan power supply. One of the fans is only doing about 1300RPM's mind you. Default P4 heatsink and fan. And a 32CFM case fan.

What are typical system/CPU temperatures? And what are you guys doing to keep the system cooler?

Make sure you have unrestricted air flow to your PC. Intake and exhaust vents being blocked will cause an increase in your temperatures. I have seen people put their PCs right next to walls or in cabinets in their desks. This just causes the PC to recycle hot air and get warmer.

In your case, make sure your components that generate the most heat (CPU and video card) have good airflow. For instance, you may need to move your PCI cards down a couple of slots so that you have some room for your video fan to work properly. Also look at cleaning up the cable mess most PCs suffer from.

Check to see if your case has proper ventilation. Are there vents in the front that allow the power supply fans to draw air though your system? Do you have any PCI or drive slots left open that are effecting the air flow?

Just some suggestions that are cheap to implement as they are environment changes versus having to by more hardware for your puter.

Here is linky to a picture of my systems internals.

The cables are not cluttered, I took the time to ensure that they were all tied up and out of the way of air flow. I switch to the round IDE cables.

The space around my CPU is wide open. You can see the CPU fan, the PSU intake and the Case intake fans are all free and clear. That is my video card at the bottom of the picture. The PCI slot right beneath the video card is occupied by the switch for the diode on the case fan (nothing plugged into PCI slot). I do have some room to move my PCI network card, additional IDE card and Sound Card down another couple PCI slots.

No open PCI or Drive slots. They are all sealed or occupied.

I do have room at the front of the case for another 80mm fan. Should I make it an intake or an additional exhaust. It is located at the bottom of the case underneath the HDD carriage.

Ok, I am looking to upgrade to this PSU

Antec TrueBlue 480

My current PSU is this puppy (EG365P-VE)

I am also seriously considering adding another case fan to the front of my machine as an intake. Converting the one on the back to an exhaust. And adding a third fan within the system to help up the air flow through the system.

Antec PS's are nice, I would add another intake and convert the one in the back to outflow

Definantly turn the back fan into an exhaust. Must people have the front of the case open to the rest of the room so they can access the drive bays with the rear of the pc most likely very close to an enclosed space like a wall or desk. With the rear fan setup as an intake and the ps as exhaust, you are most like just circulating warm air trapped behind your system while your cool air from your front fan is making very little impact as it really has no way to go through your system.

Linky

As you can see, the computer having its "back up against the wall" is not a problem. I left the window in the office open all day. It was freezing in there, the CPU and system temp dropped to 36'C I guess thats good.

agreed with plankeye. Usually the heatup is due to the lack of knowledge that the air flow has to be constant in order to cool. I hav a rear, and a side exhaust, and one of the front fans blowing inward to suck in air. excluding CPU, PSU, and Video card fans
smile.gif

38-41'C Cpu temperature is not a bit deal, the Cpu can
handle it well. I would not want my Cpu to go above
70'C.

i had heat problems and changed my case as it only had space for two fans, front and back, and only little ones at that.

Now i have a thermaltake, so problem solved.

Things to take into consideration is air flow, air has to come in somewhere and out somewhere. So create a good 'breeze' in your machine. Front to back and out the top if you have the ability.

Get as much of your cables out of the way, to the sides to let air flow.

Keep your heat sinks clean, i found my temp dropped by 10c after i went through it with a vacuum!!!

Aluminium cases keep cool which is nice, they take heat and dissipate it really quickly...

Buy bigger fans....

Get a power supply with more fans in it. it's amazing what a cheap power supply will do to you temp.

Keep you gear out of the Sunlight. No point trying to cool something that is being solar heated. lol

If all this fails, move to antarctica. you can use any CPU there....

or sit in the dark, turn off the lights, turn up the aircon, and try not to breath to much

lol

Dont be afraid of trial and error..

sealcomm

Back