Advice

TrigunX89

Hey, everyone!  I have a couple questions.  I was hoping you could maybe help.

1. My friend got me Max Payne for Christmas.  As the review on this site said, "From a Christian's perspective, this game is untasteful," and "After playing this game, my soul feels drained."  I've played the game before, and I feel the same way about it.  What should I do?  I know my friend is going to want to come over and play it, and ask me how far I've gotten and stuff.  I don't want to reject the gift, and make him feel bad.  What should I do?

My other question is much shorter and simpler.

2. Does anyone have any thoughts on "Gungrave" or "Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball?"

Thanks!

bout max payne, if uve never played it all the way thru b4, i can see if u played it thru once to see for urself. i for one will not solely not play a game based on the way others view, unless these reasons are jumping out at me from every where, as was with XIII, a lot i heard bad about, but i still bought it and played it, and probly will hardly ever do so again, cuz that has a lot of very offensive content in it. doa: xtrme beach volleyball, avoind that. y? how can u keep urself from having sinful thoughts pop into ur head while playing a game that depicts and empahsizes, er whts the word, cant think of it, im drawin a blank, sry, but i would advise staying away from a game like that.

Hmm...  I was afraid of that.  Heh, thanks for the advice.  Have you played DOAX?  The thing is, that there really isn't any nudity, and the girls are in swimsuits because the game is about volleyball.  I don't know, you're probably right.  
sad.gif

if I don't feel right about a game I don't play it. If a game is really bad, satanic elements I destroy it rather than sell it back but that's just me
blues.gif

i havent played it. there is no nudity, but the games emphasis is not on volleyball like it may seem, and the developers say this too. its emphasis is on sexuality, as the women are as scantily clothed as possible, and features such as the "toy cam" allow to zoom in closer to certain areas of their bodies. and the character animations speak enuf for themselves in wht the game is trying to promote. best advice i can give is to stay away from it.

yeah, if u have a serious prob wiht a game, dont go selling, as it only promotes other to play somethin that aint good for them.

I guess I just fail to see what's so bad about DOAX.  Everyone was very surprised to see that it got an M rating.  Tecmo even said, "Based on the level of sexuality we perceived in the game, we were a bit surprised to hear the ESRB's decision to give DOAX an M rating."

when u decide if u will play it or not, consider why you want to play. if its bcuz u want a volleyball simulation, then there are other games that do a much better job at it then this. if you want to play it for other reasons, thats your choice, but i do warn you against playing it for those reasons. let me also remind you that when tecmo says the "level of sexuality they perceived" let me mind you that this is coming from non-christians that have no care for wht effects their product may have on you, since they merely want to sell it. again, just some thoughts.

Hey, I wrote that Max Payne review. I had played it at an all night gaming party, which ended, strangely enough, playing Agent Under Fire. From the first moment I booted it up, I could tell it was, well, not good. I mean, for a first scene, they have your wife and baby dying. That's not good, and probably not what we should put in our minds. As for your friend, explain things to him. Tell him that you really liked the gesture, but this game just isn't for you. That's true, isn't it? If your friend is truly a friend, this shouldn't matter to him. All that should is the relationship. Relationships are way more important than worldly materials, aren't they? Max Payne is a game that changed the world of shooters forever. It managed to blend a pretty good story with mediocre graphics and difficult gameplay. Because of it, no game will ever be the same. These are good things. But the bad far outweighs the good. Drug induced hallucinations, high usage of pain killers, satanic rituals, children being killed, and extremely bloody and gory content all add up to a game that, as I feel, no Christian should play. In fact, here's an idea. Show your friend the review, and tell him the reasons that you don't want to play it. That's the only way I can think of solving your problem.

As a funny note, former wrestler Maxx Payne is suing Rockstar Games for cashing in on his fame. Ha!
smile.gif

Ha, that's funny!  Hope he wins.
smile.gif

That's a good idea.  My only problem is that he already bought it for me.  Should I get a refund for it, destroy it, or just keep it without playing it?

To Dr. Tek, what effect do you think DOAX would have on me? I have DOA3 for Xbox, and it has its share of skimpy outfits, and even a brief, rear-view shower scene of Christie. (I think Christie is ugly anyway.) The women may be appealing, but it's not a turn-on for me. Aww geez, I'm getting a bit too graphic with my posts, eh?

First off i will say to u trigun: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

hehehe, this is a odd predicament, on both games. honestly on maxx payne i have never played it, however, a few questions can answer ur question. 1. do u think that God would be happy with you playing either of these games?? 2. if u feel question 1 is to general than, do u feel ur princibles line up with Gods?? its kinda hard to explain, i useally am better at this. 3. what exact part of this game am i enjoying most and would God be happy with your enjoyment?? there we go #3 was the thing i was aiming at. now on the thing bout ur friend,  scott is right, if he makes a big deal bout u returning his gift or not useing it, well then maybe u should consider whether or not this person is ur friend. also u can use the 3 questions above as an angle if he is a Christian. hope i helped. off topic: ever wonder if the creator of doax is a pervert, hiding behind his games??

Thanks for the welcome!  I think that CCGR is a great site.  It's already helped me.

With Max Payne, I really don't like anything about it.  The slow motion thing is kind of a cool feature, but I still pretty much despise the game.  Games like this and GTA with mindless killing and stuff sickens me. (That doesn't include games like Halo, where you're actually saving the human race, or doing something good.) My friend, well...  He's not a Christian.  He's been my friend for like 4 years though.  Maybe he's not a good influence on me, but perhaps I'm supposed to try and be a good influence on him?  I still don't know what to do with the game though.  I don't want to play it, but should I keep it anyway?

Haha, I never really thought about the creator of DoA being a pervert!  I bet he is though.  Basically, I'm a fan of the DoA series (for reasons besides the girls) and I thought DOAX looked fun.  There's really no nudity, so I thought no harm, right?  Maybe my perceptions of things are off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrigunX89 @ Dec. 14 2003,2:14)]To Dr. Tek, what effect do you think DOAX would have on me?
wht effect will it have. let me put it this way. why knowingly put yourself in a postion that can, and will, casue you to sin. you may say it may not be turn on, fine its not, but keeping any unpure thought out of your head while playing that game will not be possible, that i can assure you of. We are supposed to avoid sin, not go looking for it. You ask for advice, and this is mine, stay away from things like that, as no good will come from them.

Well, if you despise the game, trade it in for something else. Like maybe MGS2: Substance, or Star Wars: KOTOR. Just an idea.

btw is substance a full game or just vr. even though u have no dirty thoughts, no nudity, etc, y are u still defending it??? obvousely there is something u aint tellin us. forgive me for prying but i think theres more to this than this post says.

KOTOR sounds good...  Still hoping he's ok with it though.

Uhh...  Defending it?  You said yourself, "no dirty thoughts, no nudity, etc."  So what is there to defend?

Ps.
You play RuneScape? Me too.
smile.gif

Substance is an expanded MGS2. It has the original missions, the ability to play as most characters, these things called Snake Tales, which are essentially a story of events that happened during the time you play as Raiden. The game also has over 500 VR missions, as well as a skateboarding segment.

How do you think he's not telling the whole truth? I think that Tri has been very forward with us, and very personal along the lines of his views. It seems clear to me that Tri has problems playing games like Max Payne. I do as well. As for the whole thing involving DOAX, I have some very basic moral issues with the game:

1) Objectification of women: this game is basically there, and advertised as, a way for guys to oogle these women wearing skimpy outfits and nothing more.

2) This game involves gambling, and for no good reason.

3) Dennis Rodman: provided the voice for the guy who lures the fighters to this island. Sorry, but Rodman is just plain sickening.

4) Volleyball: I hate volleyball. It hurts, and I just don't like it. Need I say more?

Maybe I'm just overreacting to the whole volleyball thing. I just really dislike that game. However, the game is very obviously a game intended for teens who have their hormones raging. The gameplay camera is horrible, the controls are just plain bad, and why would there be a pool simulator if the game wasn't to oogle girls? No, this game is not worth playing, just as it is not worth looking at. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who wants to play it can just forget it.

Well ok, I see your point.  I'll just forget it then.  My family would give me a bad time about it anyway.  Btw, isn't MGS Substance rated M for Violence, Blood, and Nudity?

i havent even checked it out so i dont know much bout substance. in mts for ps1 though only had rear end nudity of a guard. and yes tri u have been extremely upfront. i just feel this is going on n on, and i cant figuire out what that reason is therfor on my part im srry for thinking u werent being honest.

Back