An update

Stc95

Tribe of Judah Guild Wars Chapter Leader
Hey guys,

With a moment of time to spare I wanted to give you an update of my life. As most of you know I'm taking a term abroad at the University of Oxford, England and will be home sometime December (certainly in time for Christmas! :)). You may also have noticed I haven't been around here, or in-game, for a week, week and a half. I think the last time I logged on was for Halloween and that was to just see the Mad King Event and get the hat. The last time I actually played was... before all the Halloween stuff even started.

Anyway, it's half term now, and most students suffer "5th week blues." I'm pretty sure I was feeling that by 4th week.. Suffice it to say, I'm exhausted, not so much physically, but mentally and I haven't had any non-academic free time in weeks. Plus it doesn't look like it'll get any easier from here on out.

There is a silver lining however! 5 more weeks to go! 8 more papers to write! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

I'll still try and find time to hop on and see how things are going, and I still lurk around on the forums, even if I'm not posting or commenting as much. Certainly if anything pressing pops up I'll be sure to address it and see it through. But in the mean time, at least until Dec. 7 when my term ends, I probably won't be able to be as present as I wish I could be. Not only am I missing on out cool new things in GW2, but I miss you guys as well! It's been difficult here, but also extremely rewarding! Even though I'm exhausted I am absolutely loving it here and so grateful I have this opportunity.

So I just wanted to let you all know how I'm doing and what is to be expected for the next month. :)

Anyway, it's half term now, and most students suffer "5th week blues." I'm pretty sure I was feeling that by 4th week.

Yay! Way to be ahead of the curve then! You overachiever you :p .

Hang tough Stc! :)

Dec 7? Hmmm interesting date for that. But then again I have been know to wear my paranoia prominently. "A day which will live in infamy."

That's so true Ursen. To tell you the truth I didn't even make that connection, though I believe I would have when the date comes closer. It's funny, I've missed so many big American dates since being in England. 9/11 snuck up on me without me knowing weeks ahead of time, Election Day caught me off guard, Thanksgiving I only know because we're having a big programme dinner. I DID however celebrate Guy Fawkes Day, which I would normally not know of back home.

And now that I've been here for the celebrations, we really need to get something like that in America. I mean.. it's a holiday about celebrating something NOT blowing up by blowing up stuff! It's brilliant!! Absolutely fantastic! I LOVE blowing stuff up! Plus! The fireworks went on for FOUR days! Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (the 5th)! Plus I've heard a sporadic firework tonight as well. This is something I'm hoping will catch in America. I love fireworks!

Dec 7? Sorry, showing my ex-pat status again ... not connecting the dots to know what is significant about that date and a brief Googlage did not help.

Glad things are going so well for you stc. :) Praying and hoping for you to finish well! We miss you!

Last edited:
"Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."

-Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Dec. 8, 1941

Ah, yes. I may be American, but don't pick up on those things being raised in Canada :) Thanks.

Hint. Don't ever tell a WWII veteran or their spouse that date doesn't ring a bell if you are an American.

I do try and be entertaining. I evaluate my self-worth by how many 'likes' I get on the things I post on Facebook :p

I feel like a great human being if I can get into the double digits on a single post!

Not real serious there either should have added a:). Was thinking of history before and after Dec 7 and realized it was one of the most pivotal moments in world history in the 20th century. One item alone that the war gave us changed politics forever, the power to split the atom.

I remember working on a program with customer from Japan a few years back and suggesting a due date of Dec 7 for a particular study. Phone went absolutely silent.

Just to continue wandering way off topic, I heard a fascinating story on the radio recently about General Yamamoto. Apparently he was a huge voice trying to keep Japan out of World War II. The irony of History, I guess.

Well he is quoted with saying, after the Dec. 7th attack, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" AND he did not opt for another attack, which many historians fault him for. But that is in the realm of counter-factual history, which is absolutely enthralling! Many historians believe that if he had refueled the planes and actually invaded Hawaii, things would have been much different.

Well he is quoted with saying, after the Dec. 7th attack, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" AND he did not opt for another attack, which many historians fault him for. But that is in the realm of counter-factual history, which is absolutely enthralling! Many historians believe that if he had refueled the planes and actually invaded Hawaii, things would have been much different.

Tora! Tora! Tora! :p

Back