Anger

IlterInan

I found these scriptures on anger, which I wanted to share. I have been suffering from anger recently and these helped me think, and I hope they can do the same for those of you who are suffering from the same issue.

Proverbs 14

“People with a hot temper do foolish things; wiser people remain calm.” “If you stay calm, you are wise, but if you have a hot temper, you only show how stupid you are.” (17,29). The terms “stupid” and “fool” in Proverbs refer to sin and error, not mental ability.

Proverbs 15

“A gentle answer quiets anger, but a harsh one stirs it up.” “Hot tempers cause arguments, but patience brings peace.” (1,18) Proverbs deal with practical advice as opposed to the Psalms, which tackle deeper theological issues.

Proverbs 16

“A wise person will try to keep the king happy; if the king becomes angry, someone may die.” “It is better to be patient than powerful. It is better to win control over yourself than over whole cities.” (14,32) I find it interesting how different verses in the same chapter address similar issues. Proverbs as a whole doesn’t tell a story. It is a disjointed collection of “sayings”. The first verse talks about not letting the king get mad. The next verse that deals with anger says it’s better to have some self-control than to be a ruler.

Proverbs 19

“If you are sensible, you will control your temper. When someone wrongs you, it is a great virtue to ignore it.” “The king’s anger is like the roar of a lion, but his favor is like welcome rain.” “If someone has a hot temper, let him take the consequences. If you get him out of trouble once, you will have to do it again.” (11,12,19) I love that last one. We need to learn from our mistakes and deal with the consequences of our actions.

Proverbs 22

This chapter has 30 numbered wise sayings and this is the second: “Don’t make friends with people who have hot, violent tempers. You might learn their habits and not be able to change.” (24,25)

Proverbs 25

“If you cannot control your anger, you are as helpless as a city without walls, open to attack.” (28)

Proverbs 30

My favorite: “If you churn milk, you get butter. If you hit someone’s nose, it bleeds. If you stir up anger, you get into trouble.” (33)

Wisdom, peace, patience and sensibility are the fruit of controlling our anger and temper. When anger rises within us and we let it control our actions, the results are helplessness, trouble, bad consequences, impatience and arguments. Anger is a natural emotion and the Bible often speaks of God’s “righteous” anger. Like all emotions, anger needs to be controlled and used, not the other way around.

I felt the advice forum was a better place to post this so I moved it there. It's a good thing to help others work on problems that you are working on as well. I hope your research and prayers will help you work things out.

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

I find that first one interesting, the words "Fool" and "Stupid" refer to sin and error not having a mental problem like what ever doctor would tell you they mean today. very interesting.

Back