Anyone planning to see The End of the Spear?

Thaddius

http://www.endofthespear.com/

It is a movie about missionaries that were killed in South America in 1956 by a native tribe and the conversion of them following it. It seems to be the talk of the NW since at least 2 of them were from up in this area. Our mens group is going to see it on Friday, and our Bible Study group watched the documentery on it, so I thought I would see if the rest of the U.S. was as interested in it as these North-Westerners.

Cory

/waves at Thaddius

Yeah, our Church made a big push to see it especially with unsaved friends. Although I have not seen it yet, my wife is pregnant and can't last fifteen minutes in a theatre right now, I do plan on seeing at some point. From what I have heard it is not overtly Christian but is definantly an oportunity to bring it up with an unsaved friend.

i saw gates of splendor and im looking forward to this one

I had a chance to see End of the Spear last week, and I think it's a very good movie. I'd like to buy it when it comes out.

btw, there is an awesome example of Christ's death that's given by one of the natives that I think had everyone in the theatre in tears.

I can also vouche for the quality of the movie based on heresay. My girlfriend cried at the end.

Based on true people, I might add. True, not overtly Christian.

SlavidZee said:
I can also vouche for the quality of the movie based on heresay. My girlfriend cried at the end.

Based on true people, I might add. True, not overtly Christian.

I fail to see how missionaries would be considered not overtly Christian. Unless I misunderstood and your speaking about the movie, but it is being heavily marketed by churches. No matter, if it wins someone over for Christ, then telling the story was worth it regardless.

Cory

I just read an article that stated some churches are attempting to boycott the movie because the lead actor is a gay rights activist. I thought that was kind of interesting.

I haven't seen it yet, but it appears to be solid stuff, eh?

MeridianFlight said:
I just read an article that stated some churches are attempting to boycott the movie because the lead actor is a gay rights activist. I thought that was kind of interesting.

I haven't seen it yet, but it appears to be solid stuff, eh?

Unfortunatly some people have put that at the forefront instead of what the movie is about. Last time I checked my Bible, we all suffer from sin, so if we start boycotting things because a sinner is involved, we wouldn't even be able to go to church much less a movie.

cory

Thaddius said:
Unfortunatly some people have put that at the forefront instead of what the movie is about. Last time I checked my Bible, we all suffer from sin, so if we start boycotting things because a sinner is involved, we wouldn't even be able to go to church much less a movie.

cory

How else would you suggest that we combat the gay movement that is happening in America today?

People are people regardless of belief or sin. If you like what people produce give them your money!

Anyway, I saw the movie with my youth group, it was alright. I don't think I'd see it again, but it was worth watching once.

astrod00d said:
How else would you suggest that we combat the gay movement that is happening in America today?

By doing what the Bible teaches us. Abstaining from sin ourselves, praying for those who are lost and being a good witness to others by how we live our lives. You can't stop what has been set in motion, only do what you feel in your heart God is calling you to do.

Talaeryn,

Thanks for posting that article link.

Cory

As far as what I meant when I originally brought up overtly Christian in the second post. I am comparing to two recent movies in my mind. Passion of the Christ which I would put in the overtly Christian category and Chronicles of Narnia which I would classify as not being overtly Christian. I think both are must sees for any Christian. I am just curious as to where Spear falls on that scale. Not that it makes any difference in me seeing it or not. But from close friends, they put it somewhere in the middle of those two movies.

Which probably brings up another point. I am very excited to have seen more Christian movies in the theatres in the last two years then I can ever remember in the last 10.

Plankeye said:
Which probably brings up another point. I am very excited to have seen more Christian movies in the theatres in the last two years then I can ever remember in the last 10.

Amen to that. Maybe they will become a regular thing in the future. :)

cory

Eh, I went with a group of Christian friends and some of them liked it but I wasn't impressed. The extensive subtitles might put some people off, but it was the wooden acting, bad pacing, and flat characters that bothered me. The missionaries were also portrayed as rather stupid, and there were a couple plot holes. Casting the one guy as both a father and son was also a bad move. It was distracting and he wasn't especially good in either role. That being said, I'm very very critical and picky when it comes to movies so most people could probably enjoy this slightly-below-average flick without any qualms whatsoever.

Spoiler warning: The missionaries knew that the natives thought they were cannibals, and they told the natives that what's-her-face, a native who the natives believed was killed and eaten was actually alive. They then show up unable to speak the language and try to open lines of communication (without the native lady they claimed was alive) and fail to recognise her name when the angry natives start yelling it at them. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. My favorite part was where the native guy kept saying to take him to her and the missionary guy thought he wanted a ride in the plane. Cause, y'know, he'd suddenly forgotten the name they were yelling out of that very same plane a couple days before.

Last edited:
Back