April 15th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Soul Food

All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

-2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NRSV)

THE food supply in my pantry had run low. I made a trip to the grocery store and returned with an ample supply of staples. When I had finally stocked my pantry shelves, I stood back and surveyed the bounty; and I felt a sense of satisfaction.

Then I got on with the rest of my day. Not until I dropped into bed that night did I realize that I had gone the entire day without spending a moment alone with God's word.

I thought about how satisfied I had felt with my pantry. Yet if I were to save the food to look at, to feel excited about the prospect of eating but never take a bite, I would starve. In the same way, if we simply feel good about the Bible on our bookshelves without taking it in to feed our souls, we starve. Reading the Bible, meditating on its meaning, and acting on its wisdom gives us the spiritual nourishment we need for living in this world.

Karen Cogan (New Mexico, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
O God, prompt us to spend time daily with you studying your word. Amen.

Back