April 20th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Loneliness

Comfort, O comfort my people, says your God.

-Isaiah 40:1 (NRSV)

I have been away from home for just one Christmas, in Germany while I was in military service. It was miserable! Two other GIs and I spent Christmas Day driving, trying to escape the terrible void in our hearts. We didn't say a word, but we all shared the same empty feeling.

Loneliness is not limited to Christmas or to soldiers away from home. Sadly, there are people in every community who experience loneliness daily. For them it is a way of life. Nor is loneliness restricted to shut-ins. We don't have to be alone to be lonely; we can be lonely in a crowd. Loneliness may result from poor health, alienation from family, divorce, death of a loved one, separation from friends or family.

One way to overcome loneliness is to look beyond ourselves -- to reach out, to become involved in the lives of others. We can develop an association or interest in our church, in some young person, in an athletic team, group, club, cause or charity. Even when confined to home we can reach out to others by telephone, letters, reading, or e-mail and by praying for them. When we reach beyond ourselves to support and care for others, we connect our lives to God where all loneliness is forever dispelled.

Roy Shaver (Missouri, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Teach us, O God, to deal with loneliness. Help us to reach out to others and find fellowship with you. Amen.

Back