April 25th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
On Giving

God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that by always having enough of everything, you may share abundantly in every good work.

--- 2 Corinthians 9:8 (NRSV)

THE other day, I delivered groceries to a center for abused women. On the way to the center, I felt good about contributing to such a worthy cause. I gave the groceries to the receptionist. Sitting in the reception area were a mother and her young son. The mother had a haggard, strained look on her face. I didn't make eye contact, and I quickly left.

On my way home, I was ashamed of my actions. Here were the people I wanted to help, yet I didn't offer a friendly smile or a word of encouragement. I began to question my motives for giving. Was I trying to boost my ego? Was giving a way to make myself feel good?

I have learned that sometimes a wide gulf separates the giver from the recipient. To close the gulf, I need to think of and to pray for those my gifts are intended to bless. When I have the opportunity to actually meet the recipients of my gifts, I should acknowledge them. As a follower of Christ, I should radiate love and kindness.

William Peoples (California, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Dear God, we pray for a generous spirit so that others will see you through our actions. Amen.

Back