April 6, 2005 (Test)

.se3ker.

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

-Isaiah 58:6 (KJV)

SOMEONE I loved was struggling with an addiction. I had been praying for a breakthrough, but none had taken place. I felt compelled to fast. I had occasionally fasted when my heart was heavy, and it had proven effective in "tearing down the strongholds" of wickedness. (See 2 Cor. 10:4.)

I was pregnant with my second child and knew that I could not go without food. So I decided to wait on the Lord for guidance. During a church service, I received my answer when the pastor read from Isaiah 58. According to this passage, the Lord will accept our fast if it is motivated by a deep desire to turn toward God and away from sin. The fast the Lord desires includes proclaiming the gospel and reaching out to help the poor and needy. With little effort, I identified lonely widows who would love to receive a card, sick people who would appreciate a pot of soup, faithful laborers in the church who would be encouraged by a phone call.

By God's grace, the person I was concerned about made clear progress. I will continue to lift up my loved one by keeping "the fast that [God has] chosen."

Prayer

God, teach us how to pray for the needs of others. Amen.

Back