August 5th, 2005

.se3ker.

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

-Psalm 25:4-5 (NIV)

WHEN I was divorced, I was furious with God. How dare God let this happen to me, a faithful servant! I pray, I study my Bible, and I work in missions. Isn't that enough to guarantee such things won't happen to me?

During those angry months, I didn't hear from God. I cried, I yelled, and still God was silent.

Gradually the silence became an invitation to look for God. I searched the scriptures. I dug deeper, visited a new church, and read new Bible lessons. Three years later, I let go of my bitterness and my sense of close relationship with God was restored. During the quiet, I had delved deeper into my studies than I would have, had I sensed God close by. I came out of the experience with a better knowledge of scripture. When it seemed God had turned away from me, I paid attention.

Though God may be silent, God is always present. God knows us and takes care of us, even when we cannot hear God's voice. I finally realized that God, who bore the brunt of my anger, is the only one who loves me and will always love me unconditionally.

Tanya Davis (Tennessee, U.S.A.)
Prayer:
Thank you, God, for your faithfulness. Though we may not feel your presence all the time, help us to recognize that you are always with us. Amen.

Back