Bible Study 4-9-07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleburg

In the book of John let's find out what a real life is. Read John 1:1-5 and discuss how Jesus played a role is this.

John 1
The Deity of Jesus Christ

1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2. He was in the beginning with God.
3. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.
4. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.
5. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it

ref. www.biblegateway.com

Hope all will find this enjoyable as this is my first of many bible study posts.

Some thoughts on this passage:

God the Son was both the agent though whom all creation was made in the beginning and the one who did the mighty work of reconciling a fallen world to God. He is both Creator and Redeemer, both the original giver of life and the giver of new life through his death and resurrection. He Himself is not created.

Here is evidence of the diety of Christ from this passage:
He is the creator (Only God created all in the beginning)
"The Word was God"
He is the source of all life "In Him was life"
-God is the only self-existant being, all other things are creatures and are created, that's why they're called "creatures". All other beings (creatures) derive their life from Him, He "Upholds all things by the Word of His Power" (Hebrews)
-The same God who breathed into Adam's nostrils "the breath of life" also now gives life to all men through His work on the cross.

It's not just some guy, or a human prophet or even a king who came to save us, its not an angel, or some creature who was "made first", but it is our own loving God who created us who couldn't stand the separation our sin had brought. HE is the one who came and gave His own life for us, that we might be His and He ours again.

Last edited:
"The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." John 1:5

I wanted to focus on this one verse. If we just glance over it, we would say, "Oh, that's saying that the nonbelievers don't understand Jesus and the Gospel."
This is true, but not all. If you turn a flashlight on in a dark room, it becomes bright, yet there are still shadows. In Revelations I beleive it talks about light eminating from God. I wonder if there will be shadows. I don't think so, but my point is this. The brighter the light, the less darkness. If we uncover the light of Jesus in our lives, we will understand him more because we will be in the darkness less, but as we hold onto this aspect of our lives and that bad habit, we pull the lampshade over the light. We keep darkness in our lives and understanding from our minds.
We need to pull off the lampshade.

I was in a Christian dance troupe when I was younger, and for one of the programs we did, I read this section. At the time I didn't really get it. When I got older the Power of John 1:1-5 really hit me. Jesus was in the beginning with God. I just hadn't put that together. It is so important to the understand of Jesus's divinity. Whenever I read this section of scripture, I feel so awed by it.

The concept of the Trinity has always been a tough concept to wrap peoples heads around. There is nothing like it. Except maybe, trying to apply the 'Avatar' concept. Then people get something of an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back