Bivle Study 02/11/08

Kleburg

Hey gang I'm trying a different version. Let me know what you think. Please answer thequestions at the end.

Psalms 25:4-5
Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. (NIV)

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Thoughts[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]When my family first started backpacking, we learned quickly about making sure to have the right compass and/or maps. Walking up and down the aisles at Cabela's, we found many varieties of compasses; and as we stood there trying to sort out all the information, the question became, "Do we want compasses, or would we be better off just getting a GPS?" Being the purists that we are, we finally decided to do it the old-fashioned way and use compasses in conjunction with good quality maps. The reason that finding the right compass was so important to us was very simple: we didn't want to get lost out on the trail. Should we be uncertain as to which way to turn when we reached the crossroads of the trail, we could simply look at the compass and know that the route we were taking was the right one. Being lost is not fun! [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Fortunately for us as Christians, God has provided us all the directions we need for this life through his compass--the Bible. Life has a way of muddying the picture for us, and it's easy to get turned around or lost. That's why it's imperative that we make God's Word a staple part of our daily lives. It's really not important what I think about the issues that may confront me; it's more important that I know what God has to say about them. His response needs to be mine! [/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Action Point
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Let's rely on God's Word daily as our compass to this life. We need to read it and let it soak in, so that our lives will be transformed into what God desires for each of us.[/FONT][/FONT]

What is the message you got from this?
How can we put it to use in our daily lives?

I've really been hammered about this by the Holy Sprit for the last few months. I really want God to be my compass all the time, not just when I remember. The message I get from this verse is just a reminder of what I already know. That in order to hear the Word of God I need to read it, to know Him I must spend time in the scriptures. I'm working on that, with a daily devotional, trying to get more connected to the body, downloading sermons to listen to on my commute.... I think that besides studying scripture the next best thing is fellowship with the body. Feedback is welcome.

Good stuff. Not only was I without a compass before I was a Christian, I believed the compass to be lying! If someone told me that such-and-such was what the bible said, I would walk in the opposite direction. Only through grace did I not walk right off a cliff.

I know I am a bit late in replying to this - but I am slow in a lot of things.
I found that when I was driving a truck over the road and alone a lot of the time, it was very easy to stay in the Word and stick close to God. I had no distractions. I read the bible before and during my meals - when I woke up and when I went to sleep. I had nothing else to do. I also listened to sermons while I was driving.
Then I got a local job and went home every night.
Things changed radically. Now I had a ton of distractions and never had time alone to pray. I was on the go and couldn't structure my time, when I got home, well, husband and household chores seemed more urgent.
My peace was gone.
It is hard to make the discipline to read the bible and stay in it. Health concerns now keep me home all the time. Without structure I tend to drift.
I miss my compass.

Back