C&C Generals review

K

Katarn85

Hey CCGR, I sent you my C&C Generals review a couple of days ago, and I was wondering if you had gotten it. This isn't to rush you - just to make sure that I sent it to the right e-mail address. Thanks!

yeah I did I'll be formatting it for the web soon...been kinda behind with the fridge breaking on us...too busy fridge shopping

That's fine - just as long as I know that you've got it. Thanks!

I bought the game not too long ago, and I love it! I can play with/against my best friend in Virginia, who is on 56k, an it doesn't skip a beat. Stayed up from midnight for about 5 hours straight of playing the other day, as a matter of fact :).

Yeah, I absolutely love this game as well. It may not be anything new, but the coolness factor is out of this world and the game is just a blast to play.

I agree - Generals is an awesome RTS. Expect the review to be quite positive.

Here's a really short review I wrote for it (it's not too formal):

Maybe this game isn't anything special, but I absolutely love it. It may not do anything new and it's certainly not perfect, but it's just so much fun! I haven't played many RTSs lately just because I was kind of sick of them, but this game really sparked my interest again.

IMHO, the coolness factor for the units is out of this world. I love the creativity of the GLA units and the Chinese units. Even if the sides aren't all evenly ballanced, each side has distinctively diffent units which have pros and cons. There really seems to be strategy and an online battle can be curved depending on the strategies that one uses.

I guess what I really love about the game is the resource management. I ABSOLUTELY HATE spending so much time and energy building villagers to harvest wood, stone, gold, and food. It's so much simpler to have just one resource type with multiple ways of getting it.

The explosions are awesome as well. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes it's just fun to blow things up. I've been playing the campaign on Hard, so the game has had a PERFECT ballance of challange and fun. So even if there is no storyline whatsoever, I have really enjoyed the campaigns.

I also love the music. Each faction has distinctively different music, but it's all perfectly fitting for each side. Bill Brown has written alot of great music and this is some of his best...especially the Chinese and GLA tracks.

Some people complain about the controls being old fashion and out of date, but I personally think that it makes a lot more sense to have the left mouse button do most of the commands. I mean seriously, how often do you use the right mouse button for normal computer aplications? Nevertheless, it would have been best if Westwood had given the player the option to to choose which interface he would prefer.

Finally, while the multiplayer code is pretty bad (with more than 4 people), I haven't had many problems online (part of it is that I have quite a bit of patience) with either the people or the service. I've also had many good close battles with others who almost exactly matched my level.

So while Generals certainly has problems, I've had more fun with it than any other game released this year. This game is so fun and is different enough for me to overlook it's flaws and enjoy it for what it set out to be--a very fun, if not serious, RTS set in the modern world.

Oh wow!  Definitely looking forward to Katarn's review.  I like low resource management as well.  The less I need to micromanage resource gathering, the better.

Hmm, perhaps I should put together a list of low resource management RTS games.

I'd love to try to get a game together with anyone who wants it, but I'm pretty busy right now.  If I can do it anytime, I'll let you guys know.

Anyways, I've just looked over CCGR's first build of the Generals review, and have sent in my editing suggestions (most errors are from text-to-HTML conversion).  The review should be up soon!

Oh, and I don't much mention resource gathering in my review, because all C&C titles have simple resource gathering. I mention everything else, though! It's a great game!

:-O A positive review? From Katarn? wow! Sorry, I'm still bitter about the Unreal Gold review ;-). You tackled that one a few years late, buddy. No, really, I forgive you for that horrible mistake. Please feel bad about it though :).

As a second opinion, I haven't had much problem with the multiplayer code. I play my best friend online, who has a 56k connection. Yes, when a LARGE number of units are moving around, it tends to slow a little bit. I mean, say, 250+, in the case of a massive GLA mob Jihad (Yes, we play "Black Hawk Down Jihad" games, where I hole up troops in a city, and defend against my friend's horde of AK-47-wielding Arabs). In most cases, however, we can have battles involving around 60 or more total tanks, plus inbound air support and special weapons, without much lag at all. Overall, our experience has been great, and we play almost every night that I'm not on duty.

Katarn, that was a very nice review. Very well done. Just a few concerns/comments. Keep in mind I have never played Generals, but your review sure makes it tempting...:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Arguably the coolest innovation in the game is the Generals points system.

Maybe not 100% the same, but 'Star Wars: Force Commander' (over 3 years old) has a Command Point system. You gain points based on your performance and use up the points to train more troops or other needs you may have.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]All offensive content is miniscule compared to most RTS’s out there

What offensive content do most RTS' have? I have played several RTS games and the only one I find partially offensive is StarCraft. Don't get me wrong, I think StarCraft is fantastic. But the language in the singe-player campaigns is complete filth.

Your comments regarding the original C&C...

Perhaps I didn't try hard enough. I've been stuck on either the 3rd or 4th mission for about 3.5 years, I think. The one where you are the one guy with a very powerful one-shot kill weapon. I can never get into the camp.

Very well written review on Generals! It was interesting and accurate
smile.gif
For the most part I totally agree with it and there's alot of things that you brought up that I wouldn't have ever thought about in a review
smile.gif

However, there are a couple of points I would like to make though, if I could.

As for offensive content, I guess I would have to add that the whole concept of the GLA (the terrorist group) may be offensive to some. Anthrax and chemical attacks are key weapons in the GLA's arsonal. In some GLA missions you have to destroy UN units just to get money. They also have mobs of people who run through streets destroying buildings and such. Also, the first American mission is the liberation of Baghdad. While I personally don't have any problems with this, I have read on multiple other forums of people who have and thought I would bring it up.

My second point concerns multiplayer. I have actually not used the custom match system just because it demands that the player decrease the resolution to 800x600 (and it's not possible to increase that resolution, to my understanding, untill the player exits to the main menu). Since I have a higher spec machine, I think it's pretty crazy to demand this. One problem that I have recently encountered as well is disconects. When some players start to lose a game, they will physically disconnect their computer from the internet. I wouldn't mind this so much if it did not effect my stats, but whenever a person does this, my stats record that I disconnected. Other players can then see this, and if one has a high disconnect to games played ratio, they often kick that player out.

Nevertheless, Generals is a great RTS, eventhough it does not achieve the level of greatness as the original.

Once again, great review Katarn!

Thanks for the responses!

SSquared:

To me, Force Commander doesn't count because 1) I've never played the game and 2) I don't wish to.  Apparently, Force Commander was met with a certain lack of enthusiasm from the gaming community, and ended up kind of fading into history.  When I call the point system an innovation, I'm referring to a good game that actually used it successfully to augment already superior gameplay for the first time.

As for OC, I believe that you are forgetting the likes of Fallout Tactics, f-bombs and all (from what I hear)!

Daszo24:

As I said in the review, the sides are based on our modern day perceptions of their corresponding equivalents, and since terrorists are perceived as using anthrax, etc., you'd expect the game to reflect that.  In a sense, the very notion of a terrorist side in the game is offensive, so the anthrax and car bombs are merely "part of the package."

For multiplayer, a lot of what you mentioned has been happening in Red Alert 2 (and other C&C games before that) for a long time, so when I say in the review that little has changed from the RA2 multiplay experience, you should take that as a rule of thumb in EVERY multiplayer situation.

Anyways, thanks again for the interest in my review.  I just bought Freelancer, and have gone on a gaming binge.  If my posts become increasingly strange, you'll know why!

Lightsaber activated,
Katarn85

Katarn, I never played Fallout, but isn't that more of an RPG? Anyway, I just thought your statement made it sound like you thought most RTS' have offensive content. I've played maybe 10 and have seen my brother play several others, and NONE (accept my mention of StarCraft above) appear to have anything much offensive.

Regarding Force Commander, I've never played it either.
smile.gif
I just bought it and am reading through the manual. But I've known about the command point system since it first came out.

Hey! You got Freelancer! Let me know what you think. Yikes! I haven't played that game in WEEEKS!!!! I need to get back to it. I'm now spending most of my time with my Jedi Outcast clan and trying to fit in some time for my recent purchases (mostly Galactic Battlegrounds for now).

If you ever get the chance, check out my Jedi clan. See my signature below. You can just play on the servers, no pressure to join or anything. Just have fun. If no one is on, we usually have at least 2 trainer bots that are VERY accurate and provide a good challenge.

For the record, I never played RA2 (believe it or not), so I'm not at all familiar with it's pros and cons with its multiplayer. I was just about to get the game, but when I heard about Generals, I decided to wait for that.

As for the offensive content that I mentioned above, I can now see that in your review you implied that it exists. However, since it wasn't directly stated, I just plainly didn't catch the drift that these real world weapons of mass distruction and Arab terrorist stereotypes were in the game to the degree that they are. That might just be me though.

I'm hoping to do a Review for Midnight Club 2 for the Xbox soon, and then I think I'll work on either Raven Shield or F1 Challenge 99-02 for the PC.

Back