Calling all reviewers

SSquared

I thought it might be a good idea to gather and let each other know of any upcoming reviews we plan to do.  I know some people have beat me to reviews in the past.  And I know the same thing has happened to others.  Plus, with some of the upcoming games this Fall (HL2, Star Wars stuff, Halo), I have a feeling many of us will be buying the same games.

So...rather than working on a review to find out someone has beat you to it, I thought we should discuss what reviews we plan on doing.

Here are my plans.

Medal of Honor - Currently replaying it and almost done.  I meant to do a review last year but never got around to it.

Galactic Battlegrounds - Still a ways off, but I hope to do a review for this as well.

Victory At Hebron - I hope to do a preview for an upcoming Christian game.

Derek - A Christian, Myst-like adventure game.  I may order this and do a review.

For games coming in the Fall, I plan to get HL2, Star Wars: Jedi Academy, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.  I prefer to do reviews for the Star Wars games, but I know Katarn and I are the Star Wars fans here.  So we may need to decide who gets which one.

I am also going to try and make an effort to start reviewing/previewing more Christian games.

I currently am working on a couple chess games Tivola sent. I'd like dibs on HL2.
tounge.gif

A couple chess games? How many versions can the same company put out? Can you give us a hint or should I wait for the reviews?

Hahaha. I was going to say you should automatically get the HL2 review, but I couldn't recall if you were a HL player.

well one game teaches chess (very well actually) the other helps you inprove your game. Only hint I'll give is that both use the "Fritz" engine.

I am in the process of making the following reviews:

Silent Hill 2 for PC
Midnight Club II
Myst
Riven
Myst III
realMYST

I might be doing some more but I'm not sure at the moment.

-lutikri55

You guys aren't the only Star Wars fans here. Its just I'm not that open about it. I know Stronghold was previewed, but I gots the dibs on the review. Hey, I was wondering. How inappropriate is No One Lives Forever? I know it's rated Mature, but I'd really like to play it. And it's rated Teen on the PS2. And my friend says it's hilarious.

Besides HL2, there is another much-anticipated game coming to the PC. Homeworld 2. And it comes out this month. Anyone wanna review that?

I don't plan on getting HW2, but I forgot. I am hoping to get Tron 2.0.

iamscott, are you wanting to do one of the Star Wars games too? Or are you just saying you are a Star Wars fan too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (iamscott @ Aug. 06 2003,1:07)]Hey, I was wondering. How inappropriate is No One Lives Forever? I know it's rated Mature, but I'd really like to play it. And it's rated Teen on the PS2. And my friend says it's hilarious.
Well, when NOLF came out for the PC originally, it was rated teen. Then September 11 happened and the whole rating system got screwed up. Now anything that shows red pixels after you kill someone is automatically rated M--this has happened to every single FPS out there in the last couple years.

So the only offensive content is that there are red pixels and the females prefer not to wear many clothes. Besides that it's an absolutely awesome game, as is the sequal.

I don't own any of the newer Star Wars games. Such is the sacrifice when it comes to owning a Mac.

So, with NOLF, it is appropriate from a Christian standpoint. I would love to get it, but my parents probably wouldn't let me cause of the rating.

From a Christian perspective, I personally don't see anything really wrong with NOLF.  I mean there is killing, but that's it really.  I do wish that Kate would cover up a bit more of herself, but it's not real bad.  

I have not played the first game much, though I've watched my brother play it quite a bit.  Most of my experience comes with the second game.  They are both outstanding, though most fans of the series believe that the first is slightly superior to the second.  They are both absolutely hilarious though.  What's great about the humor is that it's good, clean (at least from all that I've heard in #2), and funny.  There's times when I'll seriously just crack up because its so funny.

The reason these crazy new ratings upset me is because people like you have to deal with the consequences.  The M rating only means that its a FPS with blood.  It does not necessarily mean that there is really offensive content in it.  These new ratings also confuse the issue for me because I don't mind some blood, but I also don't want swearing and extreme gore.  However, since Sept 11, everything that has blood, no matter how low the gore level is, is rated M
sad.gif

Thanks for the info on NOLF. I've heard so many good things about it, but there was something on the box cover I didn't like. Unfortunately, I can't remember what exactly I didn't like. It's possible it may have been the M rating. Maybe I'll have to give it a 2nd look. Yeah, I don't care for swearing and extreme gore either, so thanks for stating that.

Hey SSquared,

I'm not sure what my review plans are as of now - the viability of my computer as a gaming machine has been in question for a while now. I could do the review for MoH: AA if you never get around to it, and I've got Starfleet Command II and am looking at getting SFC III, so maybe I'm not as hopeless as I sound. I'd like to get Halo and/or Homeworld 2 sometime soon - if my comp can handle them.

The only SW game that you mentioned in your list that I'm DEFINITELY going to get is Jedi Academy, so if there ever was a title that I really wanted to do, it's that one. Thanks!

Well, I have already started the MoH:AA review, but if you want to do it, just holler. Maybe we can collaborate.

OK. Well, if no one else is doing Star Wars, then you can have JA and I'll take KotOR. They both sound like GREAT titles. KotOR sounds VERY loooong, so who knows...might take me until next year to finish it.
wow.gif

Yeah! Do the SFC games. I would like to see those. I have the first game, but got as far as the 3rd or 4th tutorial before I skipped to my next game. I actually really liked it. I just sort of stopped playing.

I just checked out the review for NOLF on CCGR. Sounds like a great game, but there ARE sexual innuendos. Also, it sounded like a lot of the humor comes from Bond movie references. I am not a Bond fan (seen only one movie), so I may not actually understand the humor.

Oh, well. I've got so many other things lined up, I'll wait on it.

Games I would like to review:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (PC)
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 (GBA)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GC)
Mario Party 4 (GC)
Super Mario Sunshine (GC)

For Preview:

Soul Calibur II (PS2, GC, XBOX)
Viewtiful Joe (GC)
Animal Crossing (GC)

~Tom
pure-fun.com

I've got Rogue Squadron 2. It's been sitting on my comp for a while, but it is finished. The review, I mean. If NOLF is pretty clean, and there is an extremely low gore factor, then I'm in. Something I've noticed, though, is the new Rainbow Six game. Each of those games in that series are rated Teen, but the new one is not. They all feature blood. What's the difference? It's not like it's Soldier of Fortune. If NOLF is pretty clean, it might be on my list. I really don't get into shooters that much, but some of them are quite fun. Okay. Thanks for the info, man.

Oh, I might do a Flight Sim 2002 review also. Does anyone here even play flight sims?

A big welcome to PureFun! Thanks for stopping by and offering to help out.

Back