Christiians shouldn't be playings cs...

SLNT_FIR

I have noticed on our server, people ask us, "shouldn't chrisitans NOT be playing cs? it's killing people..."

I can't really explain... I would like for someone to help me out. I cannot really understand how i feel about it... I KNOW how i feel, but i cannot really fullly understand how to express... x.x >_< X|

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]rizz.toj.cc

wow, thats an actual site.
wow.gif

Plus, CS is just a game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"shouldn't chrisitans NOT be playing cs? it's killing people..."

Only people that are against religion (Atheist) would say that, or else they would of just swore more...
mad.gif

Well, I don't know about chrisitans
tounge.gif
, but christians are certainly able to play cs; it's a darn game. I always get extremely annoyed when a guest to the server starts making smug comments about the oddity of christians playing cs for the 59th time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Dec. 03 2004,11:45)]Only people that are against religion (Atheist) would say that, or else they would of just swore more...
mad.gif
Hrmm... Athiests are not 'against religion,' they merely do not believe in the existence of a supreme being. You are stereotyping quite a bit by saying that...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hrmm... Athiests are not 'against religion,' they merely do not believe in the existence of a supreme being. You are stereotyping quite a bit by saying that...

Flame at me if I'm wrong but, isn't that pretty much against religion? LOL
wink.gif

Some atheists are against organized religion, but it is not fair to generalize. I do not share the same beliefs as people of religion, but I am not against what they beleive. Can you see the difference?

That page is currently being updated... Well i think it is.. Maybe tek has forgot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Some atheists are against organized religion, but it is not fair to generalize.

I'm not generalizing. I'm saying what you said sounded exactly what you were trying to defend against:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hrmm... Athiests are not 'against religion,' they merely do not believe in the existence of a supreme being. You are stereotyping quite a bit by saying that...

See, I never made a comment about all Athiests being the same way. I made a comment about what you said. LOL
biggrin.gif

I think most people that question Christians playing CS are just trying to get something started. I have just 2 points to make in response to these people: 1. It's just a game. 2. If they think this is killing, they don't know what it means to really kill.

If sinning in your mind is considered on par with the physical act of sin, then how can you differentiate sinning in a game from real life?

Murder is murder.

How is murdering someone in a video game glorifying God in any way, shape or form?

In his article, Rizz states, "People have an outdated idea of what is acceptable as a Christian". If God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, shouldn't the standards of a Christian remain the same? Aren't the rules and expectations of Christians the same now as in the days of Christ?

Rizz also states that, "The objective is to play it with the right motivation and to have the right heart at all times when playing it". What is the RIGHT motivation for killing someone in CS? How is this an acceptable, glorifying action to God?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If sinning in your mind is considered on par with the physical act of sin, then how can you differentiate sinning in a game from real life?

Murder is murder.

Killing is different from murder. Do our soldiers 'murder' the enmies they fight on the Battlefield? No, they aren't killing them out of cold blood. They are fighting for a cause.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In his article, Rizz states, "People have an outdated idea of what is acceptable as a Christian".  If God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, shouldn't the standards of a Christian remain the same?  Aren't the rules and expectations of Christians the same now as in the days of Christ?

Rizz also states that, "The objective is to play it with the right motivation and to have the right heart at all times when playing it".  What is the RIGHT motivation for killing someone in CS?  How is this an acceptable, glorifying action to God?

Who are you fighting in CS? Terrorists. Are you condemning the troops that we have in other countries fighting the terrotists today? Are you saying they are NOT fighting for their country and their God?

And what about all the times when people were killed in the Old Testament?

smile.gif

You avoided the topic with all the grace of a Russian ballerina.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Killing is different from murder. Do our soldiers 'murder' the enmies they fight on the Battlefield? No, they aren't killing them out of cold blood. They are fighting for a cause.

The last time I checked, this thread involved CounterStrike, not the current war overseas.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Who are you fighting in CS? Terrorists. Are you condemning the troops that we have in other countries fighting the terrotists today? Are you saying they are NOT fighting for their country and their God?

Are you saying that no one here as EVER played on the terrorist side in CS? I don't remember reading that Christians should only play on the Counter Terrorist side in Rizz's article, I must have missed that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And what about all the times when people were killed in the Old Testament?

And what exactly does that have to do with Christians playing Counter Strike?

Let me repeat my question, how does killing in a video game glorify God? How do you kill someone virtually with the "right motivation" and with the "right heart"?

I don't understand how one can look down their nose at games like Leisure Suit Larry or Grand Theft Auto, yet hold CounterStrike to a different standard.

WWJD?

Do you think Jesus would enjoy a rousing game of Counter Strike?

EDIT:

In a similar vein, how do names like "Silent Assassin" glorify God? I'm not picking on SA, just using his name as a perfect example. His little banner is pretty also, but how does that image of a knife serve to set him apart from the world and be a good example of Christianity?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You avoided the topic with all the grace of a Russian ballerina.

Sorry, I don't watch Russin balerinas. ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The last time I checked, this thread involved Counter Strike, not the current war overseas.

Have you noticed that CS is related to the war overseas? Terrorists vs. Counter-Terrorists?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you saying that no one here as EVER played on the terrorist side in CS? I don't remember reading that Christians should only play on the Counter Terrorist side in Rizz's article, I must have missed that.

No, I never said that. Maybe read over my post again so you don't miss anything there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And what exactly does that have to do with Christians playing Counter Strike?

Let me repeat my question, how does killing in a video game glorify God? How do you kill someone virtually with the "right motivation" and with the "right heart"?

I don't understand how one can look down their nose at games like Leisure Suit Larry or Grand Theft Auto, yet hold CounterStrike to a different standard.

What does 'murder' have to do with CS? Okay, let me repeat my question again. Counter Strike is different than Grand Theft Auto. You don't 'murder' anyone in the game. It's War. In War, you're fighting for your country. It seems you don't understand the difference between fighting for your country and 'murder'. Grand Theft Auto, you're not fighting for any country. Just to kill innocent people.

FYI, Counter Strike is a differnet game than GTA. That's why you hold it to a different standard. Now I'm not saying that CS is a 'perfect' in terms of what we believe as Christians. But it is different than GTA.

Think of King David in the Bible. He was a deadly warrior and performed some very immoral things. But he was a man after God's own heart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Think of King David in the Bible. He was a deadly warrior and performed some very immoral things. But he was a man after God's own heart.

That should REALLY give you someting to chew on. However, that is off topic, so I won't go there.

Let me confine my argument to CS so we don't get too far off track.

You have argued that there is a difference between killing and murder. I have agreed with you, so let's work with that. You skipped some very important questions in my last post, so I will repeat them, once again:

According to you, there is no "murder" taking place in CS, because you are part of a "war". Question...were the civilians killed in the WTC tragedy "murdered" or "killed"? Weren't the terrorists fighting their own "war"? Sometimes murder and killing can reside on opposite sides of a very thin line. Just because you operate under a banner of "war" doesn't automatically shift the balance to "killing". Look at the Holocaust in WWII. Did the Germans "kill" Jews or was it "murder"?

Let me ask, one more time (in hopes of illiciting a response) how is killing, ANY kind of killing in a video game honoring God? The reason I ask this question is in regards to something Rizz said, "The objective is to play it with the right motivation and to have the right heart at all times when playing it". What is the right motivation in taking someone's life? I understand that in times of war you are required to make many sacrifices and do things that you wouldn't normally do. But no one is forcing you to play this game. You aren't fighting a real war. There are no sacrifices to be made. So, with that in mind, WHY play a game where the objective is to kill someone else? How can you do that with a "right heart"?

The obvious answer is that the game is just plain FUN. But so are many, many other sins.

The crux of this problem lies in what sin is. Jesus said, "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart" If that is the case, why is killing someone in your mind (or in this case, a video game) different than physically committing the act?

Playing counterstrike is no different than playing Americas Army, Paintball or lasertag. The objective is to defeat your opponent. You are not killing anyone just as in if you play a single player fps your are not killing anyone. This is getting too caught up in sematics of whether you are killing someone or not. When I go out an play paintball or lazertag with my friends, we have a good time. No one goes out there thinking they are going to murder someone.

As for the whole arguement about playing terrorists...well, the Rebel force in Star Wars was a bunch of terrorists. To one man he is a rebel, to his opponent, he is a terrorist.

I do it for entertainment, much like people play chess, or cards or monopoly for entertainment.

The question should come down to what DV said, how is playing a video game honoring God. (not just CS)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Let me repeat my question, how does killing in a video game glorify God? How do you kill someone virtually with the "right motivation" and with the "right heart"?

You pretend they are an agent of Satan and you are out to stop them from their designed task.
tounge.gif

Cory

And the game is far from real since when do they have people jumping on echother and people who can see through walls and go a mach1 and just shoot make auto head shot

Sorry but my quote isn't working for some reason...

In response to Dark Virtue's statement, "If that is the case, why is killing someone in your mind (or in this case, a video game) different than physically committing the act?"

I don't think you can really understand what killing is unless you have been trained to kill, seen the grey matter of a persons brains on the ground or the exposed intestines of a little girl who happened upon an explosive. Counter-Strike is a game played for fun. When I play it I play for fun, to test my skill against those better than me, and to make new friends. When I shoot someone in the game, it is no different to me than playing tag when I was a kid. This is a game, no one is dead. If someone has a problem with these games, or can't tell the difference between playing and killing, then they really need to stop playing. Perhaps it is our attitudes and the love we have for one another as we play that sets us apart as Christians.

The bottom line is that this is not killing and I truly hope that you never know what it is really like.

Back