Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Tek7@Work

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
So it's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of Counter-Strike or CS: Source, but it seems many of you were pretty fond of the game back in the days of CS 1.6.

Are you guys (and ladies) going to want to run a CS: Global Offensive server when the game launches on August 21?

If so, we'll need a few monthly donations to cover the expense of hosting a server. Unless there's reason to go elsewhere, I'd like to stick with GameServers, which charges $1 a slot for CS:GO servers. It wouldn't take much, as a 20-slot server is only $20. Four $5 monthly donations would cover it.

So what do you all say? Are we going to run a ToJ CS:GO server?

I'd like to try it first, but if it's anything like CS source, and people get way too serious, I'm out. Hopefully they will have a demo or something.

Very tempting. I enjoyed CS:GO far more than CS/CSS. I'll think about it. :D

Maybe you should wait for Natural Selection 2.
I doubt I'll play much, if any, CS:GO. It's very likely I won't even buy the game until it drops to $5 on a Steam sale and then only if it's very popular among ToJ members and we run a ToJ CS:GO server.

But I bought NS2 during its alpha (or was it early beta?) phase. Now I just need a computer capable of running it.

I did pick up CS:GO not sure how much I'll play as I'm not as good as I once one, but I am good one like I ever was :)

I picked it up also, i played 1.6 a fairbit back in the day, and am looking forward to the updated maps that i know so well.

Thinking about buying the PS3 version since my gaming computer has seemingly died. PS3 version supports kb/m... just... FYI.

I did like some CS back in the day, but I still may not get GO. At the end of the day, I'm just not an avid shooter fan.

Not sure if that influences your decision. Just thought you should know.
I wondered if it would, even hoped that it would. But, honestly, it more or less doesn't influence my decision.

Thanks, though! I'm sure it'll affect many decisions.

I forgot I had it since I've been using the AWper hand in TF2.

WOW! 167 achievements!

Last edited:
If you all want to run a CS: GO server for one month, I'll need to know how many slots is ideal (e.g. 20 slots, not something for silly play like 32) and, unless there are any objections, I can take a few dollars from the ToJ surplus to rent a server for a month.

Someone else will need to configure it and we'll need monthly donations if we want to keep it (four $5 a month donations would run a 20-slot server), but we can put it up for a month to see how much activity we draw.

Okay... a ToJ server would make me care about a lack of cross-platform play. /head drop

Worse is that I have no way to play the PC version currently. Saaaaad.

Would love to see CS get some ToJ love all the same. I loved the game back in the day. Favorite shooter of its kind.

So, uh, no interest in a ToJ CS: GO server then?

The game is great. Demolition is a great mode.

But ya, I don't see ToJ going back to CS again.

The game is great. Demolition is a great mode.

But ya, I don't see ToJ going back to CS again.
It does seem that way. Ever since ToJ members' interest in CS 1.6 died down, ToJ hasn't had a strong showing for another YAMS (yet another military shooter). Our Battlefield chapter saw some activity for BFBC2 and BF3, but neither game enjoyed anything approaching the popularity of CS 1.6.

I just started playing it this weekend since it was on sale. Runs surprisingly well on my somewhat older machine (AMD Phenom II X4, Radeon HD 4670, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 Pro 32-bit). I'm sure this will become my go-to game for a while. Definitely until Halo 4 comes out (which, I know, is this Tuesday). I'll probably get back into it once Halo 4 dies down among the group of people from my church that play it.

I played a grand total of ~30 minutes of CS: GO during the free weekend and while it's clearly a well-made game, I wouldn't pay more than $5 for the game and would only spend that much so I could play it with other ToJ members.

I'm still willing to approve a ToJ CS: GO chapter and server if someone volunteers to lead and if members set up the necessary monthly donations, but, as stated in previous posts, it seems interest in YAMS (Yet Another Military Shooter) among ToJ members has waned since the heyday of CS 1.6

It's a fantastic game, enjoying it a lot. Possibly not enough playing to have a server just yet though.

Back