December 27th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Being Prepared

Jesus said, "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock."

-Matthew 7:24 (NRSV)

A winter storm came upon us during the night with high winds, cold temperatures, and blowing snow. The electric power went out, then came back on. My husband and I got out of bed and prepared for the possibility of the power going off again. I made coffee, filling my husband's thermos and making his lunch for work. We filled pails with water for use in the bathroom and kitchen. We also found candles and matches in case we needed them.

The electric power went out again and stayed out for hours. But we rested, comforted that we had done everything possible to prepare ourselves for the duration of the storm.

Comparing this experience to our faith in God reminds me that we must not put off to some future time building our lives upon the word of God. Established on the rock through hearing and doing the word, we will be prepared for the storms of life.

Sue Gordon (Ontario, Canada)

Prayer:
Thank you, Lord, for teaching us through everyday events. Thank you for being our refuge throughout life's storms. Amen.

Back