Difference between L4D and L4D2?

Odale

I am wondering what the difference is between the two games.

I talked to Keero briefly about this over steam but I think he was taken away by a smoker...

I know there are different characters, but whats the difference between the versus in the two games and in the co-op in them.

Thanky!

L4D2 is currently fitty dollas... I want it when it comes on sale again and I should have bought it when it was $30...

I am wondering what the difference is between the two games.

I talked to Keero briefly about this over steam but I think he was taken away by a smoker...

I know there are different characters, but whats the difference between the versus in the two games and in the co-op in them.

Thanky!

L4D2 is currently fitty dollas... I want it when it comes on sale again and I should have bought it when it was $30...

The levels are bigger, the infected are meaner and special infected are badder.

More weapons, new Melee weapons, grenades, etc.

Copy and pasted from here: http://foxyurl.com/MB5 (detailed info)

• 5 new campaigns, including Dead Center, Dark Carnival, Swamp Fever, Hard Rain, and The Parish.
  • New game mode: Scavenge! All game modes will be available at launch.
  • 4 new Survivors: Coach, Rochelle, Ellis, and Nick.
  • At least 20 new weapons and items.
  • New melee weapons: axe, chainsaw, frying pan, baseball bat, cricket bat, katana, guitar, crowbar, machete, and tonfa.
  • New ranged weapons. Ranged weapons at least include new pistols (including a magnum), SMG, new pump and auto shotgun, grenade launcher, and at least a few new rifles.
  • Some old weapons from Left 4 Dead 1 may be included in the new game.
  • More powerful AI Director 2.0.
  • New Infected types, including at least 3 new SI (e.g. Charger).
  • Some daylight gameplay. At least one campaign occurs at night.

Wikipedia

In Left 4 Dead 2, the Director has been improved to encourage more participation by players, forcing players through difficult gauntlets to reach the extraction point. It also has the ability to alter elements of the level such as placement of walls, level layout, lighting, and weather conditions, making each play session unique.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left4Dead_2#cite_note-rps_preview-3 The Director now rewards players for taking longer or more difficult paths through each episode by providing more useful equipment, such as incendiary ammo, along these riskier paths.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left4Dead_2#cite_note-e3preview-2

A new addition to Left 4 Dead 2 are the "uncommon infected" unique to each campaign. By virtue of equipment worn before infection or mutation, they possess an ability that separates them from the common infected. For example, in the Parish campaign the player encounters infected wearing riot gear, making them almost impervious to gunfire from the front, while Dead Center features infected with Hazmat suits immune to fire.

Several new Special Infected are introduced in Left 4 Dead 2, all of which are playable in versus and the new Scavenge game mode.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left4Dead_2#cite_note-rps_preview-3http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left4Dead_2#cite_note-OXM_50_Specials-18 The Charger is an infected with a mutated, oversized arm, able to move quickly and knock players in its path off their feet. It can also grab players and smash them against the ground to deal major damage. The Spitter can project balls of mutated, acidic phlegm that splatter across an area, eroding the survivors' health as long as they remain within it. The Jockey can jump onto the back of a survivor and steer them into other infected or terrain traps set by the Director.

Last edited:
Important differences:
  • More people in ToJ are playing L4D2 than L4D1.
  • L4D2 features new campaigns that we haven't (yet) played through 100 times each.
  • L4D2 has melee weapons--most importantly, a katana.
  • L4D1 has Louis and Francis. L4D2 doesn't.
  • L4D2 costs 20 bucks more.
The rest is trivial.

You forgot that you can yell obscene words with Nick by using his "Arrgh!" command. >_>

You forgot that you can yell obscene words with Nick by using his "Arrgh!" command. >_>
Oh right.

Yes, there's considerably more profanity in L4D2.

From my time played, seems it's less blaspheming and more swearing compared to the first. Francis had a real potty mouth. >_>

My current advice to friends is if you have not played Left 4 Dead 1, don't bother at this point, and wait when Left 4 Dead 2 is at your price point.

It is a significant improvement over the previous game like you would expect any well-executed sequel.

Here are some improvements that stood out to me:
  • The new special infected (Spitter, Charger, Jockey) are very effective in splitting the Survivors up, making Versus more interesting to play for both sides.
  • The presence of a greater variety in firearms, additional items (adrenaline, defibrillator, bile bomb, laser sights, special ammo), and melee weapons finally gives Survivors meaningful choices while restocking their equipment.
  • The sound design is better across the board. The weapons actually sound powerful and distinct this time. The horde music queue is distinct and reflects the flavor of each individual campaign.
  • The campaigns' designs/environments are more distinct and leave a lasting impression.
  • The level design is generally more open, allowing better and more dynamic Versus matches.
  • At least on my computer, the graphics (art design/models) look better, and the game runs smoother.
  • I like Coach, Nick, and Ellis even more than the previous cast. (Rochelle, not so much.)
  • I am from the South, and I like the Southern flavor of this game. Some don't, but I do.

I think the key for me is that Left 4 Dead 2 makes a significant effort to disrupt a group of 4 survivors from "camping" together in one spot. In the last game, that "camping" tactic was a bit too effective and made the game stale and too predictable.

Back