Different look for a PvP priest

Avesther

While I was playing Darth Avesther, I couldn't help but wonder, is shadow the only way for priests to DPS. I've heard rumors of holy and discipline priests out there doing crazy nuts DPS. So, I decided to study the priest trees again and found this build I call the Jedi Avesther builds:

Jedi Avesther 1
Jedi Avesther 2
Jedi Avesther 3

Like the Darth Avesther build, there isn't much here to help with healing, it focuses more on the DPS side of holy and discipline. The only difference between the three builds is how to allocate 3 damage mitigation talents.

3 to improved renew for those who like to mitigate damage through bigger renews
3 to blessed recovery for those who want to mitigate damage by decreasing the damage done by a critical mellee\range attack done to them.
3 to spell warding for those who want to mitigate damage by reducing spell damage taken.

All three builds have the following characteristics in common:
-All offensive (shadow and holy) spells have a 5% increase to damage done.
-All offensive (shadow and holy) spells have a 5% improved chance to do critical damage
-Holy spells have an additional 5% improved chance to do critical damage
-Improved DPS by reducing casting time of smite and holy fire
-Improved range on smite and holy fire spells
-Increased damage on smite and holy fire spells by 10%
-All spells affected by power infusion (increased damage by 20% for 15 seconds)

I think this build brings holy damage in line with shadow damage found in the shadow tree. There is one caveat though: There is no gear in the game that is +holy exclusively. If you want to increase holy damage through gear, you have to do it with +healing\+damage gear. Because this type of gear is dual purpose, its value is lower then single purpose damage gear. Thus, you'll not be able to scale holy damage like you can shadow damage or a mage can with their schools of magic.

---

I do intend on respeccing to this build to try it out for a week. But first I need to generate about 150gold to afford the respeccs.

Ok I think Im going to go up to Shadowmeld and then go with 20 points in Holy for pure healing effects only. I cant post what my final spec will be cuz of work internet blocks so when I get home I will show you all what Im thinking and then ask for feedback. I will probably want to do MC with Paster once I hit 60. Exspecially if I havn't moved Reco over from Warsong on a server transfer. So my question is will the guild have a issue with me running Paster with say 31 points in Shadow and 20 in holy and trying to be a healer in end game zones?

Reco Suave said:
Ok I think Im going to go up to Shadowmeld and then go with 20 points in Holy for pure healing effects only. [...]
Its Shadowform, Night Elves have shadowmeld :)

So my question is will the guild have a issue with me running Paster with say 31 points in Shadow and 20 in holy and trying to be a healer in end game zones?

Isn't that the age old question? <<sigh>>

Paster the answer is....

It is hard to tell....

I was a very sucessful healer as a shadow priest, but I was not a main healer or even secondary healer in MC.

I would say you might be able to secondary heal in ZG if the main healer was very good.

The problem you will face is if you like doing high end instances you need to be healing effecient. If you wanna be shadow that is great. You will be a very good solo PvP player and small group healer. There is nothing wrong with that. But you will not be a major aid to the guild.

Over all that was a long run on sentence I think. But, the thing is it depends on if we have quality healers who are speced for raid healing.

i would not discourage you or anyone from shadow. Just know it limits you in group settings.

Aves,

You might want to talk with Kammy and Dagroth. Both tried to do the holy/disc damage dealer.

Kammy worked out ok, but his gear is INCREDIBLE. I don't think Dag was very happy.

Thanks guys for the info. Icthus that is exactly what I would have predicted you all to say. When I get 60 with Paster I will just have to look at our guild needs atm and discuss with my fellow Priests on specs they have etc. I want the best of both worlds and that is only possible to a point. I guess time will tell and ultimately I will do whatever will best help us as a guild. If that means I have to change specs at 60 I will do so.

You'll find in end game instances (MC et all), with 31 points in shadow, you will not have the beefy heals of a 25\30 point holy priest, or the mana pool longevity of a 25 point disc priest.

Which means, you'll be relegated to classes that have agro clearing abilities like rogues and hunters alive. And maybe this is ok, not every priest deams of the day of being a MT\OT healer. Generally speaking, priests get last priority on +damage gear after mages and warlocks, even if they are shadow priests.

In MC, everybody is relegated to one or two roles. It sucks, you are a priest, healing and cleansing are your roles. Rogues do damage, what else is there for them to do, if they want to heal, they can bandage themselves. Besides, the rogues get to have fun in the supression room in BWL trying to keep all the traps deactivated.

Basically, while MC is still being learned, its best that everybody just sucks it up, gets into their roles for a few months and gets it done. Once MC is on farm status and nearly everybody has 5 or 6 epics, then we can start to experiment and do different things. General rule about priests going shadowform in MC is that its ok, while MC is on farm status and nobody in that priests group dies. Kind of like real life, make sure your responsibilities are looked after, then have fun.

This may mean that you have to respec to a disc\holy or holy\disc build for a month or two. And then going back once the raid is comfortable with the instance.

You spec in what you wanna do... theres the answer to the age old question. Shadow Priest NOT in shadow form > no healer at all.

Gods_Peon said:
[...]
Basically, while MC is still being learned, its best that everybody just sucks it up, gets into their roles for a few months and gets it done. Once MC is on farm status and nearly everybody has 5 or 6 epics, then we can start to experiment and do different things. General rule about priests going shadowform in MC is that its ok, while MC is on farm status and nobody in that priests group dies. Kind of like real life, make sure your responsibilities are looked after, then have fun.

This may mean that you have to respec to a disc\holy or holy\disc build for a month or two. And then going back once the raid is comfortable with the instance.
In the last MC with Holicron Knights, Dagroth (raid leader) went the entire raid in shadow form.

Last edited:
Are you saying i should level Oddbob? I wouldnt mind playing a 60 priest... and actually healing. :)

Back