Do we as Christians need to read the Bible?

Genesis1315

Ladies
We have been working through this topic in a separate thread, but I given the varied responses, I think having a thread dedicated to this topic would be good.

I contend that we do need to read the Bible (on a regular basis even)

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

The above quote is one of my supporting argument. If we do not read it and study it, how can we teach it or use it for the other points covered in 2 Timothy 3.

Additional comments?

Gen

It sure is useful!
But not required..

Micah 6:8
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

I think the answer most likely lies in the Sonship a child of God recieves upon being born again..

If we never did what pleases the Father, would we still be pleasing to Him?

Isaiah 49:14-16
14 But Zion said, "The LORD has forsaken me,
the Lord has forgotten me."
15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
I will not forget you!
16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are ever before me.

And it is indeed pleasing to God for us to read His word in awe!
He wrote it to us, and is one of the ways in which He has chosen for us to mature..

But again, if a mother has a child who is "unique" in that he reacts like a child the rest of his days, does that mother dispise the child? Even so much more will your heavenly Father not cast you away!

Yes we as Christians Should read the Bible everyday.

Ephesians 4:11 "And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers."

How is a teacher to teach unless he has something to teach from?
How do we to become transformed in the renewing of our minds?

The Bible says that the Holy Spirit will teach us all things [John 14:26].

God's written Word is for our instruction.
Romans 15:4 "For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that by steadfastness and encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope."

If we as Christians desire to grow up in Christ we then need to read the Bible.

Proverbs 7:1-3 "My son, keep my words and store up my commands within you; keep my commandments and live, keep my teachings as the apple of your eye; bind them on your fingers, write them on the tablet of your heart."

If we read God's Word we would more likely be able to here God's voice somewhat clearer through the Holy Spirit who helps us understand[1 Cor.2:13] God's Truth, His Word.

It sure is useful!
But not required..

I think the answer most likely lies in the Sonship a child of God recieves upon being born again..

If we never did what pleases the Father, would we still be pleasing to Him?

And it is indeed pleasing to God for us to read His word in awe!
He wrote it to us, and is one of the ways in which He has chosen for us to mature..

But again, if a mother has a child who is "unique" in that he reacts like a child the rest of his days, does that mother dispise the child? Even so much more will your heavenly Father not cast you away!

Sorry Zeena there is no "but" period when it comes to reading the Bible. It is a requirement for those of us who desire growth and wish to be mature Christians.

The closer one gets to Sonshine the closer one gets to the source. Its more of a want to than a need to. I let the teacher teach! Reading everyday is personal but me shoot I read one day then two or three days later the message comes. Point is one should read as often as one can absorb.

for those of us who desire growth and wish to be mature Christians.
Agreed, providing there is a bible available..

In China, for instance, bible's can and do cost many lives..
I'm not saying they should forgo this pleasure at the risk of thier lives, but that bibles are not readily available, period..

Do these Christians still mature?
Sure they do!

I agree with DV. You need to UNDERSTAND what the heck you're reading, there's TONS of stuff in there and you don't read it like you do a good book.

Receiving eternal life is free. Discipleship costs you your life.
Munch on that. If you want to be a disciple, you need knowledge of HOW. And I wonder where that HOW is?

If you want to be a disciple, you need knowledge of HOW. And I wonder where that HOW is?

Would you say that a teacher helps you to understand whatever the subject maybe that your learning in school?

My answer to your "How" comes from John 14:26 where Jesus says "But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to remembrance all that I have said to you."

The Holy Spirit is our spiritual teacher who brings to us an understanding of the knowledge of God's Word, the Bible.

I agree with DV. You need to UNDERSTAND what the heck you're reading,

This is where you spend time not only reading but praying asking God to help open up your understanding. So yes reading is not enough. Prayer is also an important step in the process of understanding the Word of God. :)

I don't think reading it is enough.

Too many Christians read the Bible, but fail to understand any of it.

careful there DV you might just start sounding like me or genisis with those kind of comments :p . but what you say is all to true. i think though the bible is required, i dont know biblical text for it, but i know when im not consistantly in the word, i notice my behavior isnt as it should be and over time others notice too. i dunno how to explain it but i think the bible is neccessary in our every day advance and march through life, whether it be preaching or working or just living, its a must for a christian.

Back