Does a friend stick closer then a brother?

Jeshurun

Proverbs 18:24 says " There are friends who pretend to be friends, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

So I know that God is my friend and it is through Christ that I am a friend of God.

There are many times I failed at being a friend and I have had my share of so called friends.

If God sticks closer than a brother is not that what we as christians should do for each other?

Does a friend stick closer than a brother?

In Genesis 4:9 Cain says to the Lord "am I my brothers keeper?"

Well my answer would be a resounding "YES".

Then it comes down to that love thing again.
1 John 4:21 "And this commandment we have from him, that he who loves God should love his brother also".

I know that God is my friend and those in the family of God are my friends.
Like Jesus said in Matt.12:46-50

Proverbs 10:12 "Love covers over all wrongs." This is my friend.

Last edited:
Could someone move this to Religious Descussion please. Honestly I don't know how it got here because I wrote this in the RD Forum or so I thought. Sorry about that everyone.
No problem at all. :)

Moderator's note: Thread moved to Religious Discussion at author's request.

I've had people (I still chose to call them friends) who have said they were friends and when things went wrong they turned away..

Not so with the Lord!

And if a brother or sister is walking in the Power of His Holy Spirit, they will stick with you through thick and thin. Whether you are caught in sin, in the dumps, or on the highest mountain top! :D

Jesus, above all, knows what it is like to have ruthless friends..
Job 6:26-28
26 Do you mean to correct what I say,
and treat the words of a despairing man as wind?
27 You would even cast lots for the fatherless
and barter away your friend.
28 "But now be so kind as to look at me.
Would I lie to your face?

Psalm 35:11-16
11 Ruthless witnesses come forward;
they question me on things I know nothing about.
12 They repay me evil for good
and leave my soul forlorn.
13 Yet when they were ill, I put on sackcloth
and humbled myself with fasting.
When my prayers returned to me unanswered,
14 I went about mourning
as though for my friend or brother.
I bowed my head in grief
as though weeping for my mother.
15 But when I stumbled, they gathered in glee;
attackers gathered against me when I was unaware.
They slandered me without ceasing.
16 Like the ungodly they maliciously mocked;
they gnashed their teeth at me.

Jeremiah 9:4-5
"Beware of your friends; do not trust your brothers. For every brother is a deceiver, and every friend a slanderer. Friend deceives friend, and no one speaks the truth. They have taught their tongues to lie; they weary themselves with sinning.

Matthew 26:49-50a
49Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed him.
50Jesus replied, "Friend, do what you came for."
Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him.

Psalm 41:9
Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.

Proverbs 27:6
Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

He is a freind of the broken hearted! :)
Luke 5:20
When Jesus saw their faith, he said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven."

Matthew 11:19
The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

Proverbs 22:11
He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for his friend.

And to those who share faith in God! :D
Psalm 119:63
I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.

Exodus 33:11a
The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend.

Job 16:20-21
20 My intercessor is my friend
as my eyes pour out tears to God;
21 on behalf of a man he pleads with God
as a man pleads for his friend.

James 2:23
And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.

I am honoured to call you my friend Jeshurun! :)
And all who believe on the name of the Lord Jesus! :D
3 John 1:2
Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.

3 John 1:5
Dear friend, you are faithful in what you are doing for the brothers, even though they are strangers to you.

Song of Solomon 5:16
His mouth is sweetness itself; he is altogether lovely. This is my lover, this my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem

does a friend stick closer than a brother?
i have a thought that kind of ties into this - more or less a reflection of my own....i was thinking about people who are related to us by blood, and how sometimes we don't feel too close to them...but then I also think there is a family of believers, and some people who share the common beliefs as I do and share a similar faith - sometimes I feel closer to that family than i do members of my blood family.

not sure if this ties in...just some thoughts i had after reading the posts!

does a friend stick closer than a brother?
i have a thought that kind of ties into this - more or less a reflection of my own....i was thinking about people who are related to us by blood, and how sometimes we don't feel too close to them...but then I also think there is a family of believers, and some people who share the common beliefs as I do and share a similar faith - sometimes I feel closer to that family than i do members of my blood family.

not sure if this ties in...just some thoughts i had after reading the posts!

Yes it does tie in and most of the the time I feel the same way.
Some of my relatives are christians but not all and the ones who aren't are close to me.
They know of the Lord but have chosen not to seek Him.
God is workin on them though.:)

i see this 2 ways,

at times the deffinition of a "best friend" in context is your wife, so like.... yeah.

the other one is me and my brother have never been close and i can say, dark bot, starfire, and glitch have all stuck with me for a long time, and have blessed me more than my "blood" brother has.

On earth as it is in heaven hmmmm night sky full of stars should equal a earth full!!! So a question upon a question is IS THERE SHINE or shroud?

On earth as it is in heaven hmmmm night sky full of stars should equal a earth full!!! So a question upon a question is IS THERE SHINE or shroud?

Well to answer your question --- BOTH, moonshine and the Shroud of Turin or sonshine and the shroud of darkness.
How about sorrow and joy together as one, --- 2 Cor.6:10 sorrowful, yet always rejoicing.

A question upon a question, heres another one then out of 2 Cor.5:7--->Do we not walk by faith and not by sight?

Yet I fail to see what this has to do with the topic at hand. Oh well. :)

Last edited:

I was downtown today..And all I saw was Jesus..

Jesus everywhere! :D

I don't always see through grace glasses, but when I do life sure is beautiful! :D

Luke 21:15-19 then to Matt 18:35! Proverbs 18:24 says " There are friends who pretend to be friends, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Hehehehe no need for a guess on whom my best friend is:D Now as for friends in the world means world drama. On Matt 18:35 forgive till it hurts I reckon, especially when the price paid was and is beyond our abilities to forgive our own. Don't take our families sins personal since we are his as he wishes and the sin commited is against the one not the all... Now if you are close to the offensive member use Matt 18:12-15 I stop at 15 and not push further and let the love inside drive the rest of the story.. Oh yeh used KJV as ref; RED LETTERS wOOt

Back