Does Free Realms include spyware or adware?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
As the MMO itch fades, I thought about trying Free Realms. After registering an account, I was prompted to install a Firefox plugin. Free Realms is a Sony product and Sony doesn't exactly inspire trust.

Can anyone verify (with sources to prove their claims) that the Free Realms Firefox add-on or client does NOT include spyware or adware?

It does NOT include any spyware, adware, or any other malicious software for that matter...the game is 100% safe :) (but if something came up, blame sony, not me, but friends and I have been playing it for months, and I monitor my system very thoroughly)...

EDIT: Not only have I scanned my computer with AVG since install, but reviewed the files it installs...along with the addon... It's all good...

/wave RiverTigress :)

Last edited:
I haven't downloaded it yet to be able to say for sure, and since I have an Access account that entitles me to its premium content I couldn't guarantee that what I experience with it would be the same as someone else going the completely free route. If it's any help though, I do know that the way they are planning on making money from it is from a combination of Station Cash (their system of allowing players to buy items directly from the company for real money), premium subscriptions (4.95/month for extra content), and allowing player-to-player sales through LiveGamer which they probably get some kind of kickback from.

XionTawa could probably tell you more though. I'm pretty sure he's been playing there for a little while.

I haven't noticed any problems with it. If there was any, than the community and forums would be in an uproar. ;)

I haven't noticed any problems with it. If there was any, than the community and forums would be in an uproar. ;)
Not necessarily. The spyware or adware (which would be picked up by an anti-virus program without specific anti-malware/spyware/adware modules, by the way) might be very well hidden and not cause any noticeable impact on the game itself.

Still, after hearing Sony makes money through other readily available means, it seems like it should be safe to install.

Maybe I should try it out, but read the EULA closely before installing. Ugh.

I haven't noticed anything unusual.

If you do join, look me up, as I've started a Tribe of Judah guild. It is far too difficult to find people and add friends. I'm pretty sure you both have to be online to do so. You could just sent me a message on IM or IRC and I'd hop on, if I can.

If you do join, look me up, as I've started a Tribe of Judah guild. It is far too difficult to find people and add friends. I'm pretty sure you both have to be online to do so. You could just sent me a message on IM or IRC and I'd hop on, if I can.
Roger that. I've started a separate thread about Free Realms on the Tribe of Judah General Discussion Forum so we don't de-rail this one.

I went ahead and installed the Firefox add-on and the client. If I find any evidence of adware or spyware, I'll uninstall, but I'm not expecting to find any reason to do so.

Back