doom 3 reveiw revamped

*AKA*Jester

i just read through the new reveiw written for doom 3. it is much better than the first. i agree, that the formula is there, it seems that you have the two enemies in front and however many walls opening behind you. it gets kinda repetetive, but still manages to make me jump in my chair at times.

i havent finished the game yet, but i am a far distance into it.

i am a christian. i am a gamer. i play this game, and i think it is lots of fun. i like the fact that it spooks me and creeps me out, and often find myself talking smack to the demons that im sending back to hell with my rocket launcher.

i agree that this is a game for strictly adults. no child should play this game.

i feel that this game was well done, granted the repetetive formula, and the classic story. but the play control is awesome. instead of a use key, you interact with the computer screens. its really something that i would like to see implemented in more games.

overall, i like the new review. very well done.

and I'm spent ...

I thought I found when I found the page a place where real people in the REAL world who worship the good Lord could talk about games and the gamer life ... its something I have never had

what instead i have found is people so scared of the world around them they flood there fears in to rationals about what looking at things or thinking things might do to them or how they might influence others
I can’t imagine what a thirteen year old would feel like. After hours of exposure to this game, I could see a child’s attitude and personality change because of this game

... have you seen kids these days? now i'm talking about outside your church these are kids who play these games that you hate all the time ... and are still good kids
Playing a game cant FORCE anything on you. that being said please don't think that I am saying kids should play doom ... my kids would not be, but understand man people will read reviews of this and run from you ... preaching to the choir does not help ANYONE we (the Christian community) are losing these kids because of the fear that is preached about the life they live. Being called a gamers is akin to being called a devil worshiper in most cases (this review being one)
I would have displayed more images but due to the graphic and satanic nature of this game I just couldn’t show it.

I have played this game and I can off the top of my head right now think of no less that 200 possible images that could have been shown to show this game. the bias of the writer is all we got to read. He didn't say much of anything about the game play about the weapons in the game about level design (other than that monsters appearing in 2's ... if you pay attention you will understand why they are in 2's) about the interface, nothing at all was said

*sigh*
I hope some day gamers will be looked at in a better light and will be given an outlet to find faith rather than being told the things they like to do to (play games) is the devil because people are scared of pictures and symbols

good luck on that but I am done here this place of fear wont have to deal with my bickering any more

(note)
I will come around for a couple days to see what people have to say so please feel free

K

*edit for spelling*

As far as the review goes, I have to agree with Kelmor.  The reviewers apparent bias against the gameb4 playing it is rather evident in that the "review" is filled more with assumptions about and regarding the games effect then with actual fact about it.

As far as occultic material in the game, its there and in no shortage after a certain point in the game, but does that mean we as Christians should not play it?  Go read 1 Corinthians 8 and see wht you have to say then.  In there it talks about eating meat sacrificed to idols.  Should Christians eat that?  Well since the idol is no more then a piece of stone/wood/etc.. and is not a god in anyways, since only God is God, and not just one of, but the ONLY, eating the meat is just the same as eating any other meat.  However, it continues on to say that some Christians that are weaker in their faith may have a problem with that, and for that they shouldnt eat it then, and that those stronger in their faith should not encourage them, since there is nothing special gained in eating, nor lost in not eating it.

Now apply that to games.  Consider a games like doom 3 and diablo.  very heavy in occultic material.  Should these games be played by Christians?  Being that the occultic material in these games is false beliefs, much like the idol in 1 Cor. 8, there is nothing wrong with these games in that area, and comparing wht actions are acceptable in cases like these in Scripture, I have no problem playing games like these.  However, there are many people that are Christians that will ahve problems with these games.  Again, nothing wrong with that either in light of Scripture.  And likewise, those I, and hopefully all other Christians that dont have problems with these games, will not encourage you to play these games, as it would be our resposibilty according to God's word not to.

ADDED:

As for the rest of the game, the violence, blood, and gore is far more then any other game out there.  Swearing is minimal, less then most T rated games by far.

Technologically, this game far surpasses every otehr one out there.  In this matter its simply amazing.

Overall tho, I wouldnt recommend this game to any younger people to play. While ESRB rating does this game some justice, the European's rating system is more accurate in its 18+ Adult only rating of the game.

Disc: The usage of the term "weaker" is not a slam/insult against anyone, nor directed at anyone, its the same terminology used in the passage I listed.

I think it will effect kids that don't have a good grip on whats real and whats not. I think it come down to how well your parents raised u. I know I've watched movies that I shouldn't have. But lots of the movies I watched with my dad, and he explained to me about it. So I think a 10 year old could play Doom if he wanted too, as long as the parents take the time to sit with him before or after he plays and talk about the difference between a game and reality. But most kids are pretty smart now a days and probobly know this already.
Its hard to really say whats appropriate for kids, because what when we were kids was not appropriate is now fine. I know before u'd never see alot of kissing on tv, now u see it in cartoons. And a few months ago I sat with a 9 year old and watched family guy, her parents let her watch the show, and she was fine with it.
Family Guy Season 1 &2 only $22.95 got to pick me up a copy.

Dr. Tek Thank you for pointing that scriputre out

just to be clear I am not saying people should have to play this game or should play it or that there kids should play it

again I did not write this review I don't think people or weaker or non Christian is they play these kidns of games, we are all wired differently and have different convictions. For me personally I'll steer clear of this title soley based on the occult symbols. That doens't make me a stronger or weaker Christian it's just a preference

I dont care if you did write it ... you posted it on YOUR site ... you have to take resposibility for such things you cant just pass it off because you didnt write it

you should be aware of the image that is being reinforced to non christians who might look in to such things that being an image of intolerance and fear and ignorance

its free speech, its the writers opinion. She doesn't have to agree with it, the forum is there for u to discuss stuff u don't agree with. Don't pull her up, she took the time to create the site, she doesn't need u telling her what she did was right or wrong.

Yes I run the site, yes I posted the review. Does that mean I have to agree with it 100% no. Does that mean the readers, should? no. The review is up there so people can make a more informed decision. Did I know the game would be violent? Yes it's rated M and the ESRB says there is violence. ESRB does not go into occult symbols and therefore the review mentions that, my decision is made.

You know, I took a good look at the box for Doom 3 just now.

Know what? There isn't a shred of "occult" or "satanic" imagery on the box. No artwork, nothing in the text. The text DOES say that you are in an "epic clash against pure evil" and that you "stand between hell and earth". But come on, look at the pictures they DO show. Weapons, fighting, zombies, chainsaws, horrible creatures. This guy knew what he was getting into. And if you're easily offended or have moral concerns then you should research what you're buying. I can't believe the reviewer didn't know any details about this game. Doom 3 has been one of the most hyped games for several years now.

The problem that most people have with the review is the reviewer's hypocrisy and blatant inconsistencies.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kelmor @ Aug. 12 2004,2:01)]and I'm spent ...

I thought I found when I found the page a place where real people in the REAL world who worship the good Lord could talk about games and the gamer life ... its something I have never had

what instead i have found is people so scared of the world around them they flood there fears in to rationals about what looking at things or thinking things might do to them or how they might influence others
I can’t imagine what a thirteen year old would feel like. After hours of exposure to this game, I could see a child’s attitude and personality change because of this game

... have you seen kids these days? now i'm talking about outside your church these are kids who play these games that you hate all the time ... and are still good kids
Playing a game cant FORCE anything on you. that being said please don't think that I am saying kids should play doom ... my kids would not be, but understand man people will read reviews of this and run from you ... preaching to the choir does not help ANYONE we (the Christian community) are losing these kids because of the fear that is preached about the life they live. Being called a gamers is akin to being called a devil worshiper in most cases (this review being one)
I would have displayed more images but due to the graphic and satanic nature of this game I just couldn’t show it.

I have played this game and I can off the top of my head right now think of no less that 200 possible images that could have been shown to show this game. the bias of the writer is all we got to read. He didn't say much of anything about the game play about the weapons in the game about level design (other than that monsters appearing in 2's ... if you pay attention you will understand why they are in 2's) about the interface, nothing at all was said

*sigh*
I hope some day gamers will be looked at in a better light and will be given an outlet to find faith rather than being told the things they like to do to (play games) is the devil because people are scared of pictures and symbols

good luck on that but I am done here this place of fear wont have to deal with my bickering any more

(note)
I will come around for a couple days to see what people have to say so please feel free

K

*edit for spelling*
laugh.gif

its NOT ment for children! See the rating M on the box? If any parent buy this for their child and is below the age of 17, they are dumb! Read before ya write!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Aug. 13 2004,3:43)]You know, I took a good look at the box for Doom 3 just now.

Know what? There isn't a shred of "occult" or "satanic" imagery on the box. No artwork, nothing in the text. The text DOES say that you are in an "epic clash against pure evil" and that you "stand between hell and earth". But come on, look at the pictures they DO show. Weapons, fighting, zombies, chainsaws, horrible creatures. This guy knew what he was getting into. And if you're easily offended or have moral concerns then you should research what you're buying. I can't believe the reviewer didn't know any details about this game. Doom 3 has been one of the most hyped games for several years now.

The problem that most people have with the review is the reviewer's hypocrisy and blatant inconsistencies.
Well, I suppose all the symbols in the background could be considered "occult and satanic", even though they're just bs and don't really represent anything (except doom3)...

CS rated M and its not really that bad. Kids play it all the time.
I've been schooled by 8 and 9 year olds.

Back