Doom III & Satanic Symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery Food Dude

First I'm a noob to this message board. And so far I haven't seen many objections on this message board concerning doom 3 release. I just built a new pc and have the latest stuff. So this game would run great on my machine!! But my heart tells me doom is bad and to not buy or play it. The santanic references, symbols and storyline are what bother me most. Especially in light of how wonderful God has been to me. The violence and gore don't seem to "conflict" like these other things. I almost quit playing max payne 2 just because of the short satanic element there. Just curious how you other Christian dudes feel about it.

I don't know much about Doom 3, honestly. But in general, I believe the context of the presentation is important. Is it glorifying satan/occultism? Or is it presented in the context of what it is - something bad - a negative? The Bible has many things in it that if put, say, in a movie, would be fairly risque to say the least. But they are there in the context of illuminating what is evil and what is holy. If a game or a movie is making light of evil, or portraying it in a way that makes it seem attractive, or harmless, it's not such a good thing. In the end, if you don't feel good about something, definitely don't watch/play/read it. The thrill will never be worth the consequences if you were right in the first place, and you haven't really lost anything by deciding not to partake - actually, chances are you've gained at least two hours to do something better with the short time you have on earth.

I'm not too offset by them. There will be symbols of Satan's influence wherever you go: NAMBLA is a good example, as well as many other more subtle things not quite as explicit as a pentagram printed in blood on the wall above a defiled corpse.

On the other hand, we, as Christians, are called to flee from temptation and sin, which, at first glance, may apply to things such as Doom 3. However, will the game really tempt us to go out and kill? Does the game turn our attention towards Satan and away from God? Games do not do this, at least for me.

However, if you feel that it does, then, by all means, flee.

Besides, as EM said - the game is also not glorifying Hell in any way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (amorphus88 @ Aug. 04 2004,4:12)]Besides, as EM said - the game is also not glorifying Hell in any way.
Whoa, now, easy big fella
tounge.gif
I said nothing of the sort. I specifically said I know almost nothing of the game. Please don't misunderstand that as an endorsement. It's also not a vote against it. I have no valid opinion on the game itself, having sequestered myself from all knowledge of Doom "Why?!??!?" you might ask. Because I don't think my PC could run it if I wanted to play it, so I avoid all knowledge, which, in turn, allows me to continue on in my blissful ignorance of what I might possibly be missing.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiery Food Dude @ Aug. 03 2004,5:32)]First I'm a noob to this message board. And so far I haven't seen many objections on this message board concerning doom 3 release. I just built a new pc and have the latest stuff. So this game would run great on my machine!! But my heart tells me doom is bad and to not buy or play it. The santanic references, symbols and storyline are what bother me most. Especially in light of how wonderful God has been to me. The violence and gore don't seem to "conflict" like these other things. I almost quit playing max payne 2 just because of the short satanic element there. Just curious how you other Christian dudes feel about it.
FFD,

The type of sin or lifestyle a person falls in is unique to them.  For instance, I may not lust after women, but at the same time I might have a hard time with drugs.  Influences to sin by various people are different.  My human nature can be different than anyone elses - and so I have to respond to that by putting my foot down, or fall, giving away to the sin or lazy lifestyle.  Also, please understand that many times sinning is simply being lazy and not making a moral decision and having a steady will - sometimes it is just giving in instead of standing up for what you know to be right.

A group of people spend years of their life coding the most advanced graphics engine (thus far) and what content do they use for their game? Satanic symbols, occult overtones, and scenes of explicit violence. Sure, let me paint this new sexy Lamborghini in pink polka dots. Makes sense.

gg id. Methinks I'll stick with UT2004 for now--with violence turned waaay down.

Yeah, I have to say, ruining such a good game with all that crap is pretty stupid, but what did you expect from Carmack? He's brilliant, and brilliantly stupid-- He made the world's most recognized computer game, and he once spent a year in juvenile detention.

Anyway, it doesn't glorify hell, it presents it as evil. After all, the demons ARE trying to kill you. I think this game will send a message more along the lines of "look at all the crap satanism gets you" and not "satanism is cool", at least to people bright enough to think about it. I figure that as long as I keep it in perspective and spend more time away from the game than I do playing it, I should be all right.

But anyone who is compelled to not buy this game, obey your impulses. If it feels dangerous, it probably is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FIR3 @ Aug. 04 2004,10:37)]wait....in Doom....arent you killing the evil demons/zombies? Isnt that...good?
Well, I somehow just don't see Jesus playing it
tounge.gif
lol

I'll toss my two cents in here. While you might play a character which is seeking to destroy the evil, the presentation, mood, atmosphere <-> whatever you want to call it, is to generate fear, the use of shadows, music, what have you. The point of the game is to cause you to be afraid. Is this possible in a game? Absolutely, my take on it isn't so much the subject matter as what is the intent of the developers - cause you to fear. I am reminded of a great scripture which saids ...

"1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

I guess I have to ask myself, do I want to play a game which would cause me to be afraid of something dark or evil and that it will jump out at me? What emotion does it generate in me and does that emotion honor God? For some people, PACMAN might be too much so then don't play it. Personally, for me, I feel like it is a victory to the enemy to let him think he can cause me fear. I leave you with this ...

Romans 8: 35-38

35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."[12] 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[13] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

It doesn't make me afraid in the way you are implying. I know that as a Christian I am afforded protection from such powers. It startles me when something jumps from the shadows in the game, yes, but I don't stay awake at night worrying that zombies are going to eat me while I go to sleep. It induces the "fight-or-flight" reflex, but it doesn't truly make me afraid.

Then what I said would not apply to you. There is no blank answer to whether Doom 3 should or should not be played. Arguments (from a logic point of view) can be made for both sides. My point is, this is an individual question, everyone reacts differently to things. I, personally, would not wish to even have it in my house for the exact same reason I do not watch horror/terror movies. There is a difference between suspense and horror. I think it is in that distinction the answer lies.

On a separate note, just because you are "afforded protection" doesn't mean you should tango with the enemy. It is not a license to do what you want, living on the right side but potentially playing with fire.

It is a decision only you can make, and should be done so with prayer and thought. The fact that you question whether it is gonna damage your walk with God is often a good sign that you should stick on the side of caution maybe?

Personally i will not be buying it. But thats for many reasons.
1. Its over hyped and looks like poo.
2. My history with Id Software (and no dont ask me).
3. My run-in with quake3 (see my testimony)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]their just symbols they won't hurt u.:)

gg for intelligence...

Ah i preordered the game... Why did i have to go and complete CZ and UT2k4 in the same saturday >_< ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back