Doth God really say?

Zeena

MeH, a wee bit O devils advocate here, or not, judge for yourselves, but here goes.. :p

Did God really say.. He Loves EVERYONE?

If so..please prove it with scripture-HeH

Good question. I've always had a little bit of a question with this as well. But with me, I learned from reading that God loves every single person. What he doesn't love are the sins that they commit. One example of a verse is Romans 8:35-39.

Romans 8:35-39(NLT)
35Can anything ever separate us from Christ's love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or are hungry or cold or in danger or threatened with death? 36(Even the Scriptures say, "For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep."[a]) 37No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

38And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love. Death can't, and life can't. The angels can't, and the demons can't. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away. 39Whether we are high above the sky or in the deepest ocean, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I think that He loves everyone. It's in His nature. God is love. Another verse i believe shows God's love for everyone is 1 John 4:10.

1 John 4:10(NIV)
10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

God had to love all of us, or else He wouldn't have sent His Son to die for us when He knew that Jesus would be hurt, mocked, ridiculed, and eventually killed if He didn't love every single one us.

My final verse that I hesitate to use as it is used and quoted so much is John 3:16.

John 3:16(NIV)
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I use this verse because I believe it shows it clearly there. God so loved the WORLD. The world, in my humble opinion, means that everyone is included. Everyone alive then, everyone alive before then, and everyone alive after then. I believe that God does love everyone for who they are and who He made while they were in their mother's womb.

Can't wait to read the replies and thoughts of others.

Ben
aka Thrain

Romans 5:8 is the most direct explanation that God says he loves everyone.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. "

That's right. He loved us as sinners. That means God loves sinners, meaning God loves all because all are sinners. Those who say that God does not love everyone because some people go to Hell is answered simply in that they did not love Him back.

However, also to play devil's advocate.

John 14:21

"He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9
I think this addresses His attitude towards sinners. He doesn't want them to be doomed; He would like for them all to be in a loving relationship with Him. But not everyone is willing. And if someone persists in living in rebellion, He allows them to make that choice; but they must live with the consequences.

Why does He want them to "come home," like the prodigal? Because He still loves them.

Why, FREE WILL, of course!

Someone wanna expound upon that one?!?!-lool

I also agree the answer has been answere VERY well!

I would add a scripture reference God pointed out to me just yesterday :)

Mathew 5 (Love for Enemies)
43)"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44) But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Due to my Calvinist bent my answer will be different from most.
God has some manner of love for everyone in that He allows them to live.
But He does not have a saving love for everyone. Only for His elect.
People then bring up verses like John 3:16 and others that say "God loves the world."
The word for world in most of these verses is Kosmos, wich generally(sp?) means all the inhabitants of the universe. But does it always mean that?
I have heard that in his commentery on John, William Hindrikson(sp?) shows that there are at least 6 different meanings for Kosmos and that in most of the verses it is used in it means the elect. I have not yet read the commentary so I don't know anything else about that. It is only what I have heard.

But keep in mind that in John 17:9 Jesus says "I pray not for the world but for them which thou hast given me, for they are thine." KJV

The word for world here is Kosmos. If God loved everybody and wanted everybody to be saved would He not have prayed for them?

that (to me) means that he isn't praying for salvation for those who reject Jesus, but for those who accept him.

[QUOTE='Romans 5:20-21]The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus christ our Lord.[/QUOTE] looks like anyone who wants Jesus can have him. lol. (by the way, i had this wierd feeling that God was telling me to turn to Romans 5:20, and i found and used that... so i really don't know much to say about my opinion of it o.0) go ahead and say as you please.

John 3:16 and what about God's grace does this not not fall upon the whole world here, from Adam and with all generations.
God's grace = loving kindness
Psalm 145:13 as well as verse 17.[NIV study bible]

Back