Epic Shifting Focus Back to PC as Primary Platform

I really want to post a snarky reply to Epic's alleged shift back to PC gaming, but I shall restrain myself. For now.

Too little too late? o_O

We got Valve and other indie companies. Leave us alone, Epic. <3

So jaded, guys! You just can't imagine the incredible wealth they have been pouring into the PC gaming market (as well as consoles) with their continuous work on the engine and free UDK. They had a few big console titles which made sense for them economically. They can't really work on the dominant game engine in the market and more than a few games at a time. Realize that Epic has fewer than half the number of employees as Valve last time I checked. Yeah, let's not buy their next game if it's super awesome and fun to play on the PC because our sense of entitlement was hurt :p

Yeah, let's not buy their next game if it's super awesome and fun to play on the PC because our sense of entitlement was hurt :p
It's not so much a sense of entitlement as much as disappointment in UT3. Yes, I expected UT3 to at least be great because UT2004 was fantastic, but I don't think that expectation, given Epic's pre-UT3 track record, was unreasonable. Unfortunately, consolitis set in and Epic shoehorned Gears of War generic 'roid rage space marines into the UT franchise.

I want Epic's next game to super awesome. I just don't expect it to be. Not after UT3.

But yes, credit where credit is due: Epic has worked hard on UnrealEngine3 and UDK. (I just wish most UE3 games didn't look so similar.) And there'll always be Jazz Jackrabbit and Epic Pinball.

And hey, at least UT3 isn't Yet Another Military Shooter. So there's that.

And Battle Arena Freeze Tag is fun! Granted, that's a mod and not an official gametype, but it's still fun.

Back