Feb 12th 2005

rizz

Reading
Leviticus 19:33-34 (NRSV)
When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Devotional
Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.
-John 7:24 (NIV)

AT a small taco restaurant in California, my wife Carol caught my eye and nodded to one side. I stole a glance and saw a young man eating a burrito and talking on a cell phone. I was puzzled. Outside, Carol explained, "Didn't he look Middle Eastern?"

In recent years mistrust has swept our country because of terrorist attacks. The early 1940s was another era of fear; people were suspicious of anyone who might be Japanese or German. Because of my German-sounding surname, some children in my second-grade class began calling me "Little Hitler," treating me like the enemy.

It's easy to jump to conclusions. Carol and I abhor discrimination, but sometimes we experience a twinge of fear when we encounter someone who resembles an adversary. "It's wrong," Carol admitted, "but it's hard not to feel uneasy."

I nodded, but I thought of my own hurtful experience in second grade and felt empathy for the man in the restaurant. And I prayed for him.

Hal Hostetler (California, U.S.A.)

Prayer
Prayer
Dear Father, help us not to discriminate but to love, accept, and pray for those who are different from us. Amen.

Thought for the Day
Today I will pray for those I fear.

Prayer Focus

For an end to discrimination

Back