rescue me speedily.
Be a rock of refuge for me,
a strong fortress to save me.

You are indeed my rock and my fortress;
for your name's sake lead me and guide me,
take me out of the net that is hidden for me,
for you are my refuge.
Into your hand I commit my spirit;
you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.

Devotional
The psalmist wrote, "You are indeed my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake lead me and guide me."
-Psalm 31:3 (NRSV)

WHEN I take my dog, Savannah, for a walk, I prefer to take the familiar route. Savannah, on the other hand, likes to explore new trails and will often tug at her chain to pull me in a different direction. When I allow Savannah to take the lead and follow her, I often discover a new treasure -- an unexpected brook, an array of wildflowers, or a beautiful old oak tree. And if we're in an unfamiliar area, I know Savannah can lead us back to the path that will take us home.

I find that something similar is true in my spiritual walk with God. When I allow God to lead me, I discover new friends, new opportunities to serve others, and new awareness of God's presence and power. When I stop trying to pull in the direction I am accustomed to and let God guide my steps toward change, I am often surprised at the blessings waiting for me there. God knows the path I need to take.

Elaine S. Clark (Georgia, U.S.A.)

Prayer
Prayer
Lord, make us willing to follow where you lead us, knowing that you will guide us in the steps we need to take and that you will always walk beside us. Amen.

Thought for the Day
If we let God choose our path, we will discover new blessings.

Prayer Focus

People who resist change

Back